About Education License

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by f_oduardo, Dec 23, 2012.

  1. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator Staff Member

    Yes, a teaching credential is your license to teach, and it may be referred to in that way on government websites but, in California at least, you call it a "credential", not a "license." A license is a different authorization. Some of the pages you supplied said just that, but I am interested to know if that usage in universal. I should not have said "in the continental US" because I did not research the usage in other states, but in the state where I have been a teacher for many years, you use the term "credential" not "license" when you are discussing the subject. I asked the question for exactly that reason; to find out if it is that way all over.

    f-oduardo is in a different location and I am interested in the usage of the words where he or she is hoping to teach, if he/she is willing to inform me.

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  2. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    In the states with which I am familiar (Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi), all of them use the term "license."
  3. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    I wonder if it's just a California thing. I see for OR and NV that the Dept. of Ed for each state uses the term "license."
  4. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator Staff Member

    Interesting, thanks. If you use the term "license" in California, they will think you are a bus driver or cafeteria worker.
  5. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator Staff Member

    Maybe so. That's why I asked. What the websites say as opposed to the common usage by teachers could be different too. I have talked with teachers in a number of different states and have never heard the term "teaching license" used to indicate a teaching credential, but I have only interfaced with teachers from a few other states. Whatever the case, I was mistaken in saying "in the continental US." But that is the reason I asked the question, to find out.

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  6. ryoder

    ryoder New Member

    Hope those egg shells didn't cut your feet Surf ;)
  7. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator Staff Member

    LOL, thanks. That was a lot of work to get a question answered.
  8. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Texas uses "certification."
  9. BrianH

    BrianH Member

    I have always referred to it as teaching license. Although certification is also used. I work in Kansas as an administrator.

Share This Page