2nd Master's Degree - Looking at SW

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by jeepnbeep, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. jeepnbeep

    jeepnbeep New Member

    I have one class to go to complete a graduate certificate program in Rehab Counseling with University of Arkansas. I was really impressed with their program especially being able to watch their lectures online.

    I am seriously considering another Master's in Social Worker. Counseling Psychology (M.S.) and Licensed Professional Counselor is just not as marketable in the field. Also, the military won't commission me unless I have a Ph.D in Counseling Psychology (APA Program). That would take about 4-5 years to complete.

    Does anyone know of Master's Degree in Social Work? Especially one that will take as much credits since I have some of the counseling courses already.

  2. Jack Tracey

    Jack Tracey New Member

    Well, you can go to Gradschools.com and search through the drop down menus for Social Work and then then contact the possible schools. I don't think you'll find any schools that will allow you to earn an MSW entirely through DL. Also, none of them will let you transfer many credits. Snobs, those Social Workers. :rolleyes:
  3. jeepnbeep

    jeepnbeep New Member

    LCSW Versus LPC

    I don't get it...It seems like we do almost the same things. Why do they honor LCSWs a whole lot more than LPCs...It's not fair:(
  4. Jack Tracey

    Jack Tracey New Member

    Re: LCSW Versus LPC

    So since when has real life had anything to do with fairness? The answer to your question(s) is, Social Workers (NASW) have a better political lobbying strategy.
    (please believe me when I say that I'm sympathetic to your situation. I'm just offering the best explanation I have.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Re: Re: LCSW Versus LPC

    Next to the AARP, the NASW may be one of the most powerful lobbies in America.
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

  7. jeepnbeep

    jeepnbeep New Member

    Thanks Jimmy.

    I called the school a few days ago. Besides being able to transfer 2 graduate courses, I have to also have a BSW to do the Advance Placement. Without that, it will take 4 years to get the MSW:(

    Anyone heard of Canyon College?

    Thanks again.
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest


    Not accredited by agency recognized by the USDoE. Not recognized by any major social work body.
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Other than contacting the NASW and getting suggestions, the only other thing I know to do is look at this site and check each school of social work. Good luck!
  10. jeepnbeep

    jeepnbeep New Member

    Thanks for all the input. Without this site, I would have been suckered to a couple of degree mills like Madison U, West Brook, Breyer or Canyon College.

Share This Page