Help

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Marie_23, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Marie_23

Marie_23 New Member

I need help in locating a university that offers a Master of Science in Library Science degree without having taken the GRE or GMAT. Right, now I'm enrolled in a Masters program I no longer like and wish to switch majors. I thought maybe there is a MS Library Science program I could apply for that will accept my GPA from the Masters program I'm in now in lieu of any GRE or GMAT scores.

2. CTterrier

CTterrier New Member

SCSU Program

Southern Connecticut State University has an online ALA-accredited MLS program. While they want GRE scores, they also state that "Students with a master's degree in another field may submit scores from another appropriate graduate admissions exam in lieu of the GRE."

If you want to apply to masters programs it's probably worth it to take the GRE so you don't have to worry about problems like that. It would definitely open up your options. Just my two cents...

CTterrier

3. emmzee

emmzee New Member

Someone should correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that having ALA accreditation is important for a MLS degree ... so here is a list of all of the ALA accredited 100% distance programs:

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=lisdirb&Template=/cfapps/lisdir/index.cfm

Check off the box that says "100% online program available" and click "Perform search". There may not be any programs that meet your requirements, but I think these are the first schools you should check.

I clicked Wayne State University just to see what their requirements are ... and they don't require the GRE or GMAT as long as your undergrad GPA (or post-undergrad work) is higher than 2.99. If not, you can take the MAT (Miller Analogies Test) which I've heard can be not so bad for someone who doesn't want to do the GRE.

WSU progam info:
    http://slis.wayne.edu/prospective/online-program.php

Admissions info:
    http://slis.wayne.edu/prospective/admissions.php
    Note that they do require some sort of other exams:
    http://slis.wayne.edu/ic3.php

Tuition: (Ouch, if you're not an Ohio resident or the surrounding area, it's pretty steep!)
    http://slis.wayne.edu/tuition.php

So probably there are a couple schools on the ALA list that will work, check 'em out.

4. bazonkers

bazonkers New Member

Actually, that's not correct. If you look on that page, it says "Resident Graduate Students and Online Students, $529.85 per credit hour". I calculated that their program would cost somewhere around $22,000 to complete. That's one of the lowest cost MLIS programs around. From another page it says:

"Tuition and fees

Online MLIS students will be charged the same tuition and fee rates as in-state, on-campus students. There are no out of state tuition and fee rates. For current rates, please visit http://www.slis.wayne.edu/tuition.php."

I'm looking to go to Library school after I finish my History degree and I'm probably going to pick Wayne State. One other school that I found that doesn't require LORs, GRE, etc. is San Jose State University. SJSU is also around $20K. And yes, ALA accreditation is CRITICALLY important. Where you get your library degree from isn't as important as whether or not it's ALA accredited.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  5. Marie_23

Marie_23 New Member

Thanks Guys

I found another school on a list for M.S.L.S. that would waive the entrance exams. Clarion University will let you apply for their program as long as you have a graduate degree in another discipline with an overall QPA of at least 3.00.

I'll look into the other university you guys posted :)

6. Tireman 44444

Tireman 44444 Well-Known Member

ALA is crucial!!!

7. Marie_23

Marie_23 New Member

My goodness, I looked over at San Jose University website and notice they are having budget problems. If I want to enroll for their MLIS program I would have to do it during special session which does not offer financial aid.However, they do say I could be eligible federal funding aid. What is the difference between Federal funding vs. state financial aid? :confused:

8. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Active Member

I can't give you a definite answer.
    But I live in California and in my neighborhood many low income students get free tuition at California state schools. Non-residents can not get this aid.

Most CSUs have two types of programs: regular (for want of a better word) and Extended Education. The former are subsidized by the state (for CA residents) and the latter must be self financing.

9. Marie_23

Marie_23 New Member

So, is the self financing mean we personally pay out of pocket? vs. like applying for a student loan...

10. Marie_23

Marie_23 New Member

So, that means I would have to pay all out of pocket cost. Wow, can I can't even apply for financial aid ?

11. bazonkers

bazonkers New Member

As an FYI, Clarion's program is more traditional old school Library Science where as Wayne State and SJSU offer options for more computer information science courses as well such as databases, computer architecture, etc. All three would be enough to get you a library job so the decision should come down to if you want some technical computer courses in your library education. My advice is to strongly consider the fact that many libraries are going high-tech and will look for people with strong computer skills when hiring unless you already have a ton of library work experience.

12. emmzee

emmzee New Member

Oops thanks for the correction bazonkers, that certainly makes WSU's program a more attractive option!

I'd agree also that you'd want a technology focused program if possible ... since increasingly library science will become more high tech ...

13. Marie_23

Marie_23 New Member

What does everyone think about San Jose University program?

14. Tireman 44444

Tireman 44444 Well-Known Member

I went to North Carolina Central University and loved it. Now it was face to face and I took portions of my hours at UNT...which is online. I would look at the one that fits you.

15. bazonkers

bazonkers New Member