Please help choosing a school!

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Binky, May 13, 2005.

1. Binky

Binky New Member

Hello,everyone! I'm a new member. I've been reading this forum for a while.What a great source of information! Now I'd like to ask people from this forum to help me. I'm looking for an Accounting degree online: BS or MS in Accounting depending on the results of my diploma evaluation(how many credits can be transferred towards the program).I possess a Bachelor's in English from one of the Russian Universities.My diploma has been translated but not evaluated yet. I have looked at a lot of schools offering Accounting degrees online.It's very hard to find the right one.I narrowed down to a few schools which have the programs I' d consider.
    I'd like to ask for an advice from people who have any kind of information about these schools or had an experience with them,or may be somebody could recommend me a different school?Please help me! Your input is greatly appreciated!

Here are the schools:

Auburn University
    City University
    Franklin University
    Mountain Staste University
    National University
    Northcentral University
    Nova Southeastern University
    Strayer University
    University of Maryland:University College

Thank you very much!:)

2. Jack Tracey

Jack Tracey New Member

Without actually checking I'm going to guess that there will be a substantial range in the costs of the schools on your list. Assuming that you're interested in becoming a CPA I'd suggest that you take the cheapest route that you can find to that diestination. While I don't know this for a fact, I've imagined that being a CPA is a bit like being a Social Worker in that once you have your license to practice it matters very little where you went to school. On the other hand, maybe things are different in the business world.
    Jack

3. buckwheat3

buckwheat3 Master of the Obvious

Binky,
    I attend Mountain State, so far the experience has been very good. As too Auburn, they are a fantastic school with a fine reputation especially in the south eastern U.S.. Likewise, your other choices also seem to be very good!

There are perhaps 200 or more colleges and universities here in the United States offering the major you are seeking,...heck on second thought just about every RA school offers accounting as a major! Whether you are concerned about tuition cost or more about the time frame in which it takes you to earn your degree you will no doubt have lots of choices!

Binky, I have attended a few colleges and universities and the only truly bad experience was at Fort Hays State University, I was lured in by the low tuition rates which resulted in sloppy instructors and over crowded online classes...so beware sometimes lower tuition translates into higher aggravation costs.

However, if your evaluation says you can jump into a master's program you might want to consider an MBA program with a concentration in accounting. The MBA in various concentrations has been all the rage here for a number of years, like Bachelor programs there are many to choose from!
    Best,
    Gavin

4. Ted Heiks

Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member

You would have to check out the situation regarding sitting for one's CPA (Certified Public Accountant) exams. I had been of the impression that this is regulated by the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) and so the regulations were the same for all states. But elsewhere I've heard certain things to the effect that each individual state regulates professional licensure requirements for accountants, which might then mean that some states require the master's degree, others the only a bachelor's degree, and yet others merely the humble associate's degree. You might do a google search (help me here, DesElms?) of "professional licensure requirements - accountants - by state".

Here are a some other schools from John & Mariah Bear's _Bears' Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning_:

Baker College (www.baker.edu) offers an online MBA in Accounting. Bellevue University ( [url]www.bellevue.edu/Online/index.html[/url]) olffers an online MBA in Accounting. Caldwell College (www.caldwell.edu/adult-ed) offers the bachelor's in accounting. University of Calicut (http://collegeskerala.com/calicut) offers bachelor's and master's degrees in accounting. California College for Health Sciences (www.cchs.edu) offers a BS in Business with a major in Accounting. California National University (www.chuas.edu) offers a BSBA and an MBA with elective specializations in Accounting. Capella University (www.capellauniversity.edu) appears to offer a master's program in accounting. Central Missouri State University (www.cmsu.edu/extcamp) has an online bachelor's in accounting. Central Queensland University (www.dtls.cqu.edu.au) offers a Bachelor of Accounting, a Bachelor of Business in Accounting, and a Master of Accounting. Champlain College (www.champlain.edu/ccol/index.html) offers an online associate's in accounting. Charles Sturt University (www.csu.edu.au/study/de.html) offers a bachelor's in business (accounting) and master's degrees in commerce (accounting) and accountancy. Christopher Newport University (www.cnuonline.cnu.edu) offers an online bachelor's in accounting. Deakin University (www.deakin.edu.au/studentlifw/distance_education) offers the master's in commerce (accounting). Edith Cowan University (http://masters.[url]www.ecu.edu.au[/url]) offers a snail-mail master's in professional accounting. Education Direct (www.educationdirect.com) offers an ASB in Accounting. Excelsior College (www.excelsiorcollege.edu) offers a bachelor's in accounting. They are a very well-regarded school that is very generous with assessment credits and testing out. More about this from Rich Douglas, eh? Golden Gate University (www.ggu.edu) offers an online MS in Accountancy. Keller Graduate School of Management of the DeVry University (http://online.keller.edu) offers the DL (distance learning) MAFM (Master of Accounting and Financial Management) through a combination of e-mail and snail-mail and they also have on-site classes at B&M (bricks and mortar) schools around the country. Kentucky Commonwealth Virtual University (www.kcvu.edu) offers an associate's in accounting. Liberty University (www.liberty.edu/DistanceLearning/index.cfm) offers a bachelor's in business (accounting). University of London (www.lon.ac.uk) offers the external bachelor's in accounting & finance and accounting with law. Madurai Kamaraj University (www.mkuniversity.org) offers an MCom in Accounting. Mercy College (www.mercy.edu/merlin/index.html) offers an online associate's in accounting. University of New England (www.une.edu.au/admissions/ext_prospective.htm) offers master's programs in business administration (professional accounting) and commerce (accounting). It might also be possible to do a dissertation-only doctorate in accounting through this school. Old Dominion University (www.odu.edu/home/distance.html) offers a bachelor's in business administration (accounting). Open University of Hong Kong (www.ouhk.edu.hk) offers a bachelor's in business administration (accounting) and a master's in professional accounting. University of Phoenix (http://online.uophx.edu) offers the BS in Business (Accounting) and the MBA in Accounting online (and also by paper correspondence, I believe). University of Pretoria (www.up.ac.za/telematic) offers the bachelor's in accounting both online and by paper correspondence. Saint Mary of the Woods College (www.smwc.edu) offers the associate's and bachelor's in accounting and accounting information systems. Technikon of South Africa (www.tsa.ac.za) offers bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in accounting. University of South Africa (www.unisa.ac.za) offers the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in accounting science. Southern Cross University (www.scu.edu.au) offers the Bachelor of Business (Accounting). Southern New Hampshire University (www.snhu.edu/Prospective_Student/distance_ed.html) offers the associate's and bachelor's in accounting. University of Southern Queensland (www.usqonline.com.au) offers the master's in professional accounting both online and by paper correspondence. State University of New York Institute of Technology at Utica/Rome (www.sunyit.edu/~ftjt/msa-online.htm) offers an online MS in Accountancy. University of Tasmania (www.international.utas.edu.au) offers the thesis-oly master's and dissertation-only doctorate in accounting & finance. Thomas Edison State College (www.tesc.edu) offers associate's and bachelor's degrees in accounting. They, like Excelsior, are a well-known school that is very generous with portfolio assessments and credit by examination. University of Teesside (www.tees.ac.uk/cll/Frames/O&Dframe.htm) offers a dissertation-only master's and a thesis-only doctorate and doctorate by publication in accountancy. Upper Iowa University (www.uiu.edu) offers the BS in Acounting and the MBA in Accounting online. Weber State University (www.weber.edu) offers the master's in accounting, using both paper and online.

You can also look up Marcie Thorson's _Campus-Free College Degrees_; April & Matthew Helm's _Get Your Degree Online_; _Barron's Guide to Distance Learning_; and _Peterson's Guide to Distance Learning Programs_.

All of the above with the qualifier that one should never ask a British-system university (which would also include Australian, Indian, and South African degrees) about an "online" or "distance learning" degree, but rather ask them about "part-time" degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2005
  5. tsling

tsling New Member

Indiana Wesleyan University - online B.S. Accounting completion program.

Southern Cross University (Australia) - Master of Professional Accounting, 100% DL.

Curtin University of Technology (Australia) - online Master of Accounting

Florida Atlantic University - online Master of Accounting

6. decimon

decimon Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Please help choosing a school!

This site has a clickable map for the CPA requirements of each state.

7. Carlos Lorie

Carlos Lorie New Member

Hi Binky

I had a very positive experience at Mountain State University. However this was with the aviation department.

Carlos

8. Binky

Binky New Member

Thank you all very much for taking your time and replying to me!
    Yes,I do want eventually sit for CPA exam.And here in NH I believe it requires 120 hours.So may be I don't really need MS in Accounting and BS would be just enough?:confused: I want to find the cheapest tuiton b/c I'm going to apply for a financial aid.
    I'm so overwhelmed! I've never taken classes online and besides I've never really stidied in the US before(except I took Accounting 1 at NH Community College but it's just a Community College it was very easy for me)And I know that Universities are much harder!So it will be a different experience for me.Just a little nervous!:)

9. Stanislav

Stanislav Well-Known Member

THE cheapest way is to accumulate credits through LSU independent study: www.is.lsu.edu . I'm not sure you can get Financial Aid for this, but the courses are ridiculously cheap compared to anything else in the USA.

If you want the degree, you can bring LSU courses and your evaluated degree to Excelsior College. That's what my wife is doing, in a situation just like yours (her Ukrainian degree is in Management). Since yours is non-business, you might need to test out of core Business requirements.

10. tsling

tsling New Member

University of Hawaii, Manoa has a internet-based distance Master of Accounting program.