Success stories of finding a job after earning a degree online

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by newcreature, Aug 26, 2009.

1. naios

naios New Member

Kanye West. I prefer The Roots and Old School...

Sorry, I've been lurking. So far, my DL adventure is getting me harder, more technically advanced work to do.

2. 03310151

03310151 Active Member

Snarky, yes I apologize.

Jenn, I meant figuratively of course.

3. cookderosa

cookderosa Resident Chef

>>

LOL, Ted, you'll love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU13MRtSD7E

You'll have to make it at least until the 3 minute mark if you wanna hear it in context :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  4. edowave

edowave Active Member

I'm working part-time at Best Buy while I finish the dissertation for the discount. (Also it pays more than the adjunct teaching jobs I've been offered.) I hope to have new appliances and an awesome home theater by the time I graduate.

5. Ted Heiks

Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member

Gee, I wasn't sure you were joking, given the current state of the economy. :D

6. Ted Heiks

Gee, I wonder what the correct term would be for a "female circle jerk." :D

7. Ted Heiks

Um, yeah! :eek:

8. bazonkers

bazonkers New Member

Ha, wow. This is what I get for reading your post early in the morning. I read it as you are getting a discount on your dissertation because your work at Best Buy.

9. Dave Wagner

Dave Wagner Active Member

Actually, the aggregated opinions you'll get from this board are usually very realistic. There are a few shills and degree collectors in here but most are neither.

10. ray_ray70570

ray_ray70570 New Member

Now a Teacher

After my Bachelors degree was confered from The U.S. Sports Academy in July of 2009; I was hired as a teacher in a public H.S.
    However, The U.S. Sports Academy is also a B&M school one can physically attend.

11. tomball

tomball New Member

Liverpool University: MSc Information Systems Management

Liverpool University: MSc Information Systems Management

Cool programs at Liverpool, please keep us posted on the UK learning. My guess is the economy to going to tank so buyer beware – it’s going to get ugly guys.

12. naios

naios New Member

3 weeks 'til showtime. Went through my week 0 intro class. Interesting setup. Liverpool...people seem nice, looking forward to visiting for graduation...but no fan of Liverpool FC.

13. gonenomad

gonenomad New Member

I did the Master of Life Science program at the University of Maryland - College Park. It was all online except for one summer field class. After finishing it I gained a biology teaching license and taught HS biology.

14. David H

David H Member

My Ph.D credential did add to the number of calls regarding consulting opportunities for the firm that employed me.

I will say it also helped in a recent interview. When my Ph.D. was mentioned, the individual was very complimentary and mentioned to the headhunter as a huge benefit.

I don't know what it adds to the job market as I am and have been employed as an executive for many years.

I do think completing your degree increases your confidence, fills in a checkbox some of the search engines and HR folks require, and adds to your breadth of knowledge in the interview. Immediate benefit, probably not.

Don't know if this helps.

15. dlady

dlady Active Member

Hmmm let's see. In 2003 I started taking online courses, and am now working for an online school. I would say there is at least some positive correlation here.

16. me again

me again Well-Known Member

Me too! :D ;)

17. DeterminedAdjunct

DeterminedAdjunct New Member

Online degrees help

As a direct result of my online degree I received a pay raise. It also played a part in a promotion and providing more credibility.

18. tomball

tomball New Member

Still above the min. wage

Damm I'm still at 8 dollars a hour...... The good news was I was making 10 bucks in 1980.

19. naios

naios New Member

Since starting my masters I've been assigned bleeding-edge projects. No raise, but greater esteem amongst my peers. Just hope I can get this stuff to work...

20. krainey

krainey New Member

newcreature, I haven't finished my online MS in School Counseling yet, but have started interning at a school as part of my program. My program is completely online; school is B&M school with an online division.