What to do?! GI Bill or TA?

Discussion in 'Military-related education topics' started by jpoliveira, Jun 5, 2013.

  1. jpoliveira

    jpoliveira New Member

    Hi all! Although I have used this forum for a lot of advice in the past, I have finally decided to create an account. I hope I can contribute to the valuable discussion.

    Anyways, I am currently in the middle of a personal debate... should I use my MGIB while active-duty?

    I recently earned my BBA and I am interested in continuing my education. I have developed a keen interest in economics and finance, and I have applied to and been accepted to a variety of programs. Some online, some brick-and-mortar, some hybrid.

    So, the big question: should I use my GI bill active-duty to pursue my Master's from an expensive institution with a "good name," or use TA to pursue a similar degree from a cheap school?

    I have the following options:

    GI Bill:
    - MS, Commerce and Economic Development, Northeastern University
    - MA, International Commerce and Policy, George Mason University
    - MS, International Marketing Management, Boston University
    - MSc, Finance (major: Economic Policy), University of London
    - MS, Finance, Johns Hopkins University

    - MAcc, Forensic Accounting, Florida Atlantic University
    - MS, Applied Economics, University of North Dakota

    Basically I am asking about the value of an institution with a good name. Also, please be advised that I hope to pursue my MBA following my service, therefore I do hope to save at least 16-20 GI months.
  2. airtorn

    airtorn Moderator Staff Member

    Use your TA. Save your GI Bill for the MBA.
  3. jpoliveira

    jpoliveira New Member

    Thank you.

    Sorry, it appears I made two similar posts. I'm not yet familiar with the delay in posting a new thread.
  4. RichC.

    RichC. Member

    This. Unless your TA has a catch that you owe back time. I never used TA but I was an officer so for me, TA had that stipulation that if I used it I would owe more years of service. I figured 8 years was enough.
  5. GForce75

    GForce75 New Member

    Delete Me - Cannot Delete
  6. GForce75

    GForce75 New Member

    Use the TA

    This topic is abit older, but I would go with TA. I utilized TA since I have joined the Army as a PFC (E3). When I went to OCS, I finished my BS with TA. Still deciding to use it, I used it for my MBA. As a result, I was able to transfer the Post 9/11 to my wife. I am using have the GI Bill to pay for half of the DBA. The great thing is that over the 12 years, I have not paid one penny for education (except the books for CTC - CSU is free).
  7. Earnit

    Earnit New Member

    The TA is definitely the way to go while on active duty. The GI Bill is good to use after you get out because you will have a lot of time to use it. This will save you a lot of money, especially if you decide on pursuing a different kind of degree later on.

Share This Page