Teaching CC

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by nobycane, Apr 24, 2005.

  1. nobycane

    nobycane New Member

    I realize in order to get on as either a full-time faculty or as an adjunct at a community college, one needs a Master's degree in their area, and some teaching experience.

    My question is, will a community college consider someone who has been teaching at the secondary level (high school)?

    Also, their are many online programs out there that offer a certificate in community college teaching, such as California State University.

    My other question is, if one has this type of certificate in community college teaching, will this really make a difference in your credentials to help you land a position?

    Any suggestions & comments will be appreciated.

  2. Oherra

    Oherra New Member

    The technical college I teach for has many secondary and elementary educators on staff. I didn't find that I needed a certificate in teaching to get hired, but I applied in a field where the college had a high demand.
  3. CoachTurner

    CoachTurner Member

    The usual requirement will be for a min. Masters in the subject or Masters in anything +18 grad hours in the content area.

    Many K-12 educators hold a higher degree in education or "teaching" and not in the subject area. For example, holding an MAT with a secondary math specialization is not the same as holding an MSc in math. Similarly, an MEd with a middle grades science specialization is not the same as an MSc in physics. Many K-12 educators find themselves needing additional classroom hours or an additional MA/MS to make themselves marketable to post-secondary search committees.

    Any professional teaching experience is preferable to none at all. Post-secondary experience is generally preferred but not always expected for the more common level subjects. HS English teachers don't seem to have any trouble landing seats at the CCs teaching remedial and freshman comp.

    Those CC teaching certificates are nice and will offer much skill enhancement in the teaching of adults -- they also often require some experience in CC teaching so they help in that area. Reality is though that most CC educators do not hold a grad certificate or higher degree in CC teaching.

    Some say that your educational resources are better used gaining knowledge in your content area or adding a content area -- especially in high need areas.
  4. Sindaena

    Sindaena New Member

    What about an M.A.T. Math from the University of Idaho:Engioneering Outreach after an undergraduate Math major from Excelsior? That is what I am looking at and the M.A.T math requires min 20 hours in math classes. I wouldn't be taking any of the classes that are just for the M.A.T. math either as they essentially cover lesser math than I will have taken for the BA Math at Excelsior. Given that I am homeschooling young children, adjucting at the local CC seems much more doable even in the great beyond when I finish my degress than trying to go full-time as a high school teacher.



Share This Page