Overseas Accredited Schools

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by rilbenjacmonmic, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. rilbenjacmonmic

    rilbenjacmonmic New Member

    I thought I would post this question for my wife. She has several certificates from the University of London. Physics, Accounting just to name a couple. My question is, "does anyone know if the certificates are transferable for credits towards a degree within the U.S." She has taken several other courses through Central Texas College, University of Texas and I have no doubt she would succeed in an equivalent 'clep' or 'dsst'....... I just do not want her to have to go through the trouble of a retest if possible. Would either of the Big '3' entertain?

    Thanks in advance,

  2. MichaelR

    MichaelR Member

    I know that if you have foriegn transcripts and degree's Excelsior will want them evaluated by ECE as to the other two i am not aware of their policy's. I would suggest that contact the schools to find out what the will require. Then if they don't limit you on who to use for an evaluation service I would suggest you contact a member of NACES to do the evaluation. Your wife will require a Course by Course evaluation.

    Take care,
  3. chydenius

    chydenius New Member

    Some places prefer AACRAO, which is not a NACES member. Check with your intended schools, before you shell out a couple hundred dollars for a course-by-course evaluation.
  4. MichaelR

    MichaelR Member

    This is why i said check with the school.
  5. rilbenjacmonmic

    rilbenjacmonmic New Member

    I figured it to be an easy thing. Not so, probably easier for her to clep out. Thought I would at least throw the question out there for others that may have the knowledge on something like this.

    Thanks again,

  6. chydenius

    chydenius New Member

    For not much more than a CLEP test, Josef Silny or WES -- two evaluators with which I have experience, both as a college administrator and as the husband of a client -- will tell you what your non-US transcripts are equivalent to here.

    However, I encourage you to take the whole battery of CLEP tests and get out of your lower-division General Education requirements.
  7. Stanislav

    Stanislav Well-Known Member

    That's really not that hard. Just check with the school and get her transcripts evaluated. UofL certificates ("Diplomas"?) should be worth quite a lot of credit hours. My understanding is that a 4-unit "diploma" represent an equivalent of a whole year of undergraduate studies, this shoul be around 30 credits. Worth 5 to 10 CLEPs.
  8. Yan

    Yan New Member

    My Advanced Level 'Economics' and 'Pure Mathematics' in the General Certificate of Education (GCE) Examination of the University of London got 16 credits (lower level) from the University of the State of New York (now Excelsior College) twenty years ago. The credentials evaluation service was through the International Education Research Foundation, Inc.

    Actually, the GCE examination is at the pre-university level (UK) and the courses from the University of London can probably get quite a number of credits in the US.
  9. CoachTurner

    CoachTurner Member

    Taking that whole battery of exams, assuming one could pass them all and that they would all transfer to the school of choice, would result in over 100 hours of equivalent credit. Reality is, several are duplicative and few people would be able to pass all of those exams without some extreme preparation.

    That more than meets the lower-level GenEd requirements at most schools. :D

    At a cost of only about $2700 (without travel and prep material) -- taking that entire list is a relatively cheap way of getting through 3 years of college. It's probably "the hard way" of doing it though...
  10. rilbenjacmonmic

    rilbenjacmonmic New Member


    Did Excelsior do the evaluation upon enrolment or was it something separate you on your own using IERF

  11. chydenius

    chydenius New Member

    You are, of course, correct. I overstated my case.

    I would recommend taking as many CLEP tests as you could use as transfer credit. For my BA students in Accounting, Business Administration, and MIS, this would be:

    • one in Literature
    • two in Composition
    • one in History or Government
    • one in Psychology or Sociology
    • two in Economics
    • two in Math
    • two in Science
    • one in Computers
    • one in Management
    • one in Accounting
    • one in Business Law
    • one in Marketing

    That is 48 semester hours of credit. Many private schools, like UoP, Nova Southeastern, and others discussed on DI, charge about $500 per credit hour. Taking these 16 tests could shave $24,000 off one's student loan. At $55 per CLEP test, one would be investing about $1,000 in test fees and study materials, in order to save more than twenty times that in tuition and interest.
  12. Yan

    Yan New Member

    The IERF was one of the designated USNY's evaluation services agencies at that time and the evaluation of my foreign courses and transcripts was done after my enrolment with USNY. All the credits recommended by the IERF were accepted by USNY (now Excelsior).

Share This Page