education question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by drewdarnell, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. drewdarnell

    drewdarnell Member

    Knowing that states have different requirements I have a general question about teaching:

    1) what would it take for an elementary certified teacher to become certified in say secondary English?

    2)What would be the best route for the above?

    3) What if one had no degree (around 60 hours of courses that generally wouldn't fit in to an English degree) - what would the best route then be?

    thanks for the help,
  2. chris

    chris New Member

    Western Governors University

    They have, I believe, a teachers certification program.
  3. Jack Tracey

    Jack Tracey New Member

    In general, a certain number of credits (?18) in the chosen subject area are required as well as a student teaching gig with the target population. Usually for DL people the first requirement is easier to satisfy than the second. Additionally, most states have some mechanism, generically known as "alternate routes to certification," that are designed for non-teachers with college degrees to switch into teaching careers. You can typically find descriptions of these "alternate routes" on the DOE web site of your state government.
  4. drewdarnell

    drewdarnell Member

    Thanks fellows....I guess another option would be to do a M.Ed or M.A.T. that leads to initial certification right?

  5. Jack Tracey

    Jack Tracey New Member

    Look Drew, I'm not an expert. Plus, as you've said yourself, the rules differ in different states. My point is this, you can earn whatever degree you want to earn, BA, MA, MEd, whatever. If you don't have the student teaching internship then it's not going to happen. I could get an MEd by taking a few courses but I would not beocome a certified teacher in the process without the internship. This may differ in your location but that's the way it is here in the great wide open-minded state of Massachusetts.
  6. irat

    irat New Member

    2 questions

    1. elem. cert. to HS cert.
    2. 60 credit hrs. to lic.
    The best thing to do is to check the rules in the state you want to work in.
    Question 1. In general, if you are certified in one area, you can teach in another with a course in methods for that area and a minimum of a college minor in the subject.
    However, most high school teachers are subject based, most elementary teachers are "whole classroom". So going from being a grade 3 classroom teacher to being a high school math. teacher may have some additional specific requirements.
    Some states have teacher tests in specific fields. So if you want to be a high school English teacher, you may have to take a test in English.
    Sometimes you will have to do a teaching internship in the new teaching area.
    Question 2. As far as I know all states require a regular teacher to have a bachelor degree in a subject with an additional concentratin in education. Some positions require a master degree.
    All the licensing programs I know of require a student teaching internship.
    With at least 60 credits to go, that is just right for a subject major 30 credits and a concentration in education 30 credits. But you want to check specific degree requirements to be sure you get the right couses for the degree. and to be sure the courses align with state licensing requirements.
    Points- Many states divide public school licensing into Elem. k-4, middle 5-8 and hs 9-12. In terms of teaching methods, there are substantial differences between teaching in a self-containted grade 1 class and a high school subject.
    If you decide to go the distance learning route, you may want to develop a relationship for the internship with a school first, and then find a distance learning program to accomodate your needs.
    All the best!

Share This Page