Doctoral versus Doctor's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Guest, Mar 1, 2002.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Normally people say they have a:

    Bachelor's degree in X
    Master's degree in Y

    What is the correct designation for the doctorate?
    I have seen:

    Doctor's degree in X


    Doctoral degree in X

    or Doctorate in X

  2. Tom Head

    Tom Head New Member

    FWIW: I usually use "doctorate," sometimes use "doctoral" (usually to refer to something that happens as part of the doctorate--e.g. "doctoral dissertation"), and never use "doctor's." I think all three are acceptable.

  3. BillDayson

    BillDayson New Member

    I usually use 'doctorate' as a noun: "He earned a doctorate".

    'Doctoral' seems more appropriate as an adjective. "He completed his doctoral dissertation."

    The phrase 'doctor's degree' sounds odd to me, perhaps because in everyday speech the word 'doctor' usually means "physician": "He went to the doctor." That very common usage would suggest that a "doctor's degree" would be an M.D.

    But ultimately, I think that it is probably arbitrary. Just a matter of traditional usage. We say it the way we do because that's how everyone else says it.
  4. Maven

    Maven New Member

    Re: Re: Doctoral versus Doctor's

    I usually say I have a Ph.D and let them convert it their minds to either/or.:)
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The former posts have all been informative, North. Personally, I never use the description doctor's degree. It not only sounds odd, as Bill has stated, it doesn't sound professional.
    While technically one could probably say I got me one of them there doctor's degrees , the nomenclature I have most frequently heard is either:

    He/she earned their doctorate at UCLA.

    He/she completed their doctoral studies at UCLA.


    He/she earned their Ph.D./Ed.D./D.Min./JD/DBA/etc., at UCLA.

    That there doctor's degree business just doesn't sound professional, but that's only my opinion. :)
  6. Nosborne

    Nosborne New Member

    Personally, when I do something legal, I say "I doctored it."

    Nosborne, JD (who would rather eat broken glass than call himself doctor and expose himself to endless, well deserved ridicule and abuse.)
  7. levicoff

    levicoff Guest

    Well . . .

    Having earned a doctorate and written a doctoral dissertation, thus being able to call myself Doctor, I usually say, "Hi. I'm Steve."
  8. Strange. The attorneys in my agency usually say "Hey, Dennis.. I unf****d that case you sent up." I keep looking in Black's Law Dictionary, but for some reason the term hasn't made it into the new printings. :D
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hopefully, it never will. Its sad when such language is commonplace among so many. :confused:
  10. mamorse

    mamorse New Member

    I have to agree with Dr. Levicoff on this matter. I normally request that my students refer to me by the more plebian title, "Your Highness". :D
  11. Craig Hargis

    Craig Hargis New Member

    I have not seen one in a few years, but UCLA's catalog course descriptions would indicate which professors taught a particular course. It would always say "Mr. Harris," or "Ms. Lare," when clearly they held doctorates. Also I remember reading that medical doctors in England prefer the title "Mr." Certain Navel ranks are still "Mr." in keeping with English maritime tradition. I remember in college we usually called the teachers "professor," which I think is a better title--and to me more honorific--than doctor. I know several RC clergy who prefer and only use "Father," but have doctorates. I don't care, personally, but I do get a little bothered by people who employ double titles...Rev. Dr. I think a Rev. Dr. sounds a bit like a medical incompetent who can at least administer last rites when he needs to.

    Rev. Mr. Craig, Th.D.
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Or more technically, Craig:

    The Right Reverend Mister Professor Craig Hargis, Th.D. :D
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Believe it or not I noticed that Dr. Charles Stanley's book covers refers to his "master's and doctor's degrees" from Luther Rice Seminary.

    It sounded rather odd when I read it. I think Master's & Doctorate from LRS sounds better.

    North (undoctored)


Share This Page