Doctoral Program?

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by basrsu, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. basrsu

    basrsu Member

    Here's the scenario:

    A person possesses a 30-hour Master of Arts in humanities.

    He also possesses a 30-hour Ed.S. in educational leadership and instruction (instructional technology specialization).

    He also has 15 more graduate hours in instructional technology (doctoral level).

    Here's the question:

    What RA university, besides Northcentral, would take so much transfer credit toward the completion of a doctorate? Or is there another one? Opinions? Ideas?


  2. Ian Anderson

    Ian Anderson Active Member

    I believe Northcentral will normally accept 30 units from another school.
  3. BinkWile

    BinkWile New Member

    This is correct, they only took 30 SH from my MPA when I enrolled.
  4. adireynolds

    adireynolds New Member

    NCU will consider, in special cases, also transferring in doctoral work done at another institution above and beyond the 30 hrs awarded for master's level work. See my post on this in this thread:

    In my searches, I haven't been able to find another school who does that. Caveat: I have also not contacted any other school directly, either, so it's possible that if you contact them, they may also do something similar to NCU. For me, the choice to resume my doc studies was either return to Capella, or go with NCU, since they have an Ed.D. program I particularly like (Training & Development Leadership).

  5. BryanOats

    BryanOats New Member

    Liberty's website indicates that,"if a student has completed an Educational Specialist degree from an accredited university, a program of 30+ hours will be designed on a case-by-case basis to complete the [60 credit] Ed.D. program." The link:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  6. Dave Wagner

    Dave Wagner Active Member

    If you have a specific research topic in mind, you might look at Saybrook in addition to the RA schools that have been named above; they don't have an education doctoral program though.

    Keep in mind that these sorts of negotiable ABD arrangements are not publicized. You'll just have to start asking schools with faculty who have research interests similar to your own.

    If you are willing to think outside the box (of economic and academic utility) and consider an unaccredited school, you might look at Western Institute for Social Research, which offers a Ph.D. in higher education and social change.


Share This Page