Certificate in Thanatology?

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by jimwe, Nov 28, 2022.

  1. jimwe

    jimwe Member

    I have completed an MA from Liberty University in Human Services Counseling with a concentration in Stress Reaction and Trauma. I also have about 1/3 of an MA in Pastoral Counseling from Liberty, but find I am very tired of writing 15-20 page papers. I have been working as a substance abuse counselor, but have found that I am interested in working with trauma, grief and end of life issues. I have recently completed a course from Inelda as a End of Life Doula and am very interested in a program I have found. It is a certificate from an unaccredited place called "The American Academy of Grief Counseling." There are Thanatology programs from regionally accredited uni's, but this one is also very affordable. Does anyone have any experience of knowledge of this place? Thanks.

    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  2. jimwe

    jimwe Member

  3. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Wouldn't this fall into the realm of a licensed psychologist, counselor (clinical or professional), social worker, or marriage and family therapist? An exception would be clergy working for a religious organization.
  4. Michael Burgos

    Michael Burgos Active Member

    I've not heard of it. However, like Inelda, I suspect that the only credibility it will garner is with those organizations that have chosen to partner with AIHEP. Even then, judging by the organization's website, I'm skeptical.
  5. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    Chaplains, including those who are employed by non-religious institutes, regularly provide this type of care as well.
  6. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    True. Just need to get the chaplain credential from a religious organization and meet the employer's educational and CPE requirements.
  7. Dustin

    Dustin Well-Known Member

Share This Page