Comes now Akamai University

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by John Bear, Nov 21, 2002.

1. John Bear

John Bear Senior Member

A forum participant asked me privately today if I'd heard of it, and I hadn't. It is the new venture of Douglass Capogrossi, formerly president of Greenwich University and then of the International University for Professional Studies. Many of the listed faculty were affiliated with either or both of these schools.

Not accepting students until January, presumably pending an OK from the state.

http://www.akamaiuniversity.us

2. Very interesting.

I like it!!

3. matty

matty New Member

Thanks, John, for getting this onto the forum (I'm the participant who brought Akamai to John's attention).

I worked with Dr. Capogrossi (Ph.D. Cornell) and faculty to design a Ph.D. program in the Psychology of Religion last year (through IUPS) and was quite impressed with the organization, intelligence, and committment of Doug and the faculty (almost all Ph.D.s from RA universities) he had attracted.

I had to postpone my studies due to some professional matters, but hope to continue in the near future. I will certainly consider re-enrolling with Doug and his new venture at Akamai.

Note: Akamai is not RA and thus not for everyone.

4. Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas Well-Known Member

On the plus side, this seems a sincere effort. Also, the statement on accreditation is pretty straight-forward.

On the negative, I see a one-price plan for tuition (although the verbiage indicates tuition might be reduced somehow after the degree plan is submitted and the primary mentor recommends the reduction). Also, it's a bit expensive for an unaccredited degree from a newly established, unaccredited, Hawaiian school no one ever heard of. ($7,200 for the doctorate.)

Regarding faculty, 15 of 37 (40.5%) hold doctorates from unaccredited schools (mostly from Greenwich, but IIAS, Clayton, American Coastline, and Columbia Pacific were some of the others represented). Several others were listed as holding doctorates, but the sources weren't listed. A bit underwhelming.

5. Charles

Charles New Member

Will Hawaii grant approval to "IUPS redux" before concluding its ongoing suit of IUPS?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

State of Hawaii Sues IUPS
    The State of Hawaii, by its Office of Consumer Protection, filed suit yesterday against The International University of Professional Studies (a Hawaii corporation). The suit alleges that the defendant violated several provisions of Hawaii's Unaccredited Degree Granting Institutions Law (Hawaii Revised Statutes Chapter 446E), most notably the provision barring indications or suggestions that the institution is state-approved or authorized. The complaint seeks injunctive relief, restitution, civil penalties and other equitable relief.

Anyone seeking to view an electronic version of the Complaint may email requests to [email protected]

Jeffrey E. Brunton
    Staff Attorney
    Office of Consumer Protection
    State of Hawaii

http://www.degreeinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=49031#post49031

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2002
  6. MarkIsrael@aol.com

[email protected] New Member

7. John Bear

John Bear Senior Member

Seven of the 15 listed faculty in Akamai's Center for Business and Development list degrees from Honolulu University, Southern Pacific University, Kennedy-Western, Honolulu University, Fairfax, Newport, and five from Greenwich, as well as Shepperton. And one was president of Barrington.

8. Rev. Andy

Rev. Andy New Member

And they just keep shearing the sheep........ba...ba...

9. AK47

AK47 New Member

It look like Akamai had started recruitment in Asian country especially Vietnam, China, Malaysia, Singapore.... MBA with Akamai and DBA with Commonwealth Open University. Any idea about COU? See the website at www.visionelearning.com.