+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 29
  1. #1
    Abner is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,607

    Trump Says Transgender People Will Not Be Allowed in the Military


  2. #2
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,544
    Well, he sure as heck can't make this happen by just posting it on Twitter. I read that the Pentagon people were very surprised to hear about this. And those "tremendous" medical costs Mr. Trump cites? Professionally and reliably estimated at between $2M and $10M a year, which is a drop in the bucket, for the $49+ BILLION annually for the Pentagon's health care spending. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...udget-pentagon

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 07-26-2017 at 05:35 PM.

  3. #3
    jhp
    jhp is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    616
    If you have chronic constipation and take medicine for it, you cannot join the military.
    If you have a peanut allergy,
    If you have IBD,
    If you have hepatitis of any sort,
    If you have hemorrhoids,
    If you had recurring hernia,
    If you have anemia,
    If you have insufficient teeth,
    If you have gout, shoulder or elbow or hip or ankle or foot problems, ingrown toenails, webbed toes, and on and on and on...

    I do not want my battle buddy to be sick when I need them the most.

  4. #4
    decimon is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,354
    If you believe in transgendered humans then you might believe in mermaids and minotaurs.

    Any medical professional promising a transgender procedure is guilty of fraud.

  5. #5
    Abner is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Well, he sure as heck can't make this happen by just posting it on Twitter. I read that the Pentagon people were very surprised to hear about this. And those "tremendous" medical costs Mr. Trump cites? Professionally and reliably estimated at between $2M and $10M a year, which is a drop in the bucket, for the $49+ BILLION annually for the Pentagon's health care spending. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...udget-pentagon

    J.
    Precisely. He can't make it happen via twitter. So far, his own party isn't thrilled with the idea. Just another distraction away from the Russia investigation.

  6. #6
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    It's just a device to get people off the topic of Russia/Sessions. When nothing happens people will stop talking about it and then he'll tweet some other outrageous thing and the cycle starts again. Just a meaningless smokescreen.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  7. #7
    jhp
    jhp is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    616
    0.58% or 1,397,150 estimated population of adults who identify as transgender in the US.

    0.4% of the American population is active military personnel

    0.0023% of the US population, who are transgender, who may want to join.

    All numbers are rounded up.


    https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...ted-States.pdf
    https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/dwp/dmdc_overview.jsp

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Winchester is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    To be sure, it is a distraction from the Russia investigation. And I don't see any reason transgender persons shouldn't be able to serve in the military. Perhaps a sound reason will be forthcoming? That said, I think the Russia investigation is a convenient distraction from the fact that the Democrats have no agenda other than "Trump is bad, we must stop the bad man" and have nothing more to offer than resistance and a slogan that leaves me wondering if I can I get it in thin crust. It is too bad that America doesn't have much in the way of leadership on either side of the aisle these days.

  10. #9
    Stanislav is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by jhp View Post
    0.58% or 1,397,150 estimated population of adults who identify as transgender in the US.

    0.4% of the American population is active military personnel

    0.0023% of the US population, who are transgender, who may want to join.

    All numbers are rounded up.


    https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...ted-States.pdf
    https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/dwp/dmdc_overview.jsp
    ...which is exactly why Trump singled out this tiny group to throw some red meat to his base. Just like a bully picking on one weird kid to assert the bully's dominance. Classy, classy move, chump.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stanislav
    BS, MS (Applied Maths, Nat'l Technical U. of Ukraine)
    PhD (Computer Science, Florida State University)
    Certificate in Community College Teaching, CSU-DH
    Online faculty workshops (Meritus University, Humber College, Yorkville University)
    LLB(Hons) Open Learning, Northumbria U. - pursuing

  11. #10
    heirophant is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    658
    Does the term "transgender" have any biological meaning?

    I'm aware of babies born anatomical hermaphrodites and of Kleinfelter's syndrome. But these are rare conditions and I'd guess even less common in the US military. Is this really what people are talking about?

    And I'm aware of people who undergo surgical and hormonal "sex changes", for whatever reason, usually psychological. But again, that's only a tiny number of people and probably an even smaller percentage of the US military population.

    But the way the media is spinning this, it's apparently supposed to be a very big deal, something that the whole country should be deeply concerned about, something justifying wholesale social changes.

    But why? What is this population that we are talking about here? How large is it? How is it defined, biologically, psychologically and behaviorally?

  12. #11
    Bruce is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav View Post
    ...which is exactly why Trump singled out this tiny group to throw some red meat to his base. Just like a bully picking on one weird kid to assert the bully's dominance. Classy, classy move, chump.
    Right, Trump just made this decision out of the blue, on his own, without consulting his military generals. Who may know a thing or two about what is best for their branches of service.
    --
    Bruce Tait
    A.S. (Criminal Justice) Quincy College
    B.A. (Criminal Justice) Curry College
    M.A. (Criminal Justice) University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    M.A. (Forensic & Counseling Psychology) Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
    Certificate (Investigative Psychology) CUNY-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

    MOOC's
    Certificate (Disability Awareness and Support in Higher Education) University of Pittsburgh
    Certificate (International Criminal Law) Case Western Reserve University
    Certificate (Psychology of Criminal Justice) University of Queensland
    Certificate (Classical Sociological Theory) University of Amsterdam



    RA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/16/08

    NA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/20/08

  13. #12
    Stanislav is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Right, Trump just made this decision out of the blue, on his own, without consulting his military generals. Who may know a thing or two about what is best for their branches of service.
    It is good that you understand that.
    Donald Trump transgender ban tweet blindsided US Joint Chiefs - CNNPolitics.com
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stanislav
    BS, MS (Applied Maths, Nat'l Technical U. of Ukraine)
    PhD (Computer Science, Florida State University)
    Certificate in Community College Teaching, CSU-DH
    Online faculty workshops (Meritus University, Humber College, Yorkville University)
    LLB(Hons) Open Learning, Northumbria U. - pursuing

  14. #13
    Stanislav is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by heirophant View Post
    Does the term "transgender" have any biological meaning?

    I'm aware of babies born anatomical hermaphrodites and of Kleinfelter's syndrome. But these are rare conditions and I'd guess even less common in the US military. Is this really what people are talking about?

    And I'm aware of people who undergo surgical and hormonal "sex changes", for whatever reason, usually psychological. But again, that's only a tiny number of people and probably an even smaller percentage of the US military population.

    But the way the media is spinning this, it's apparently supposed to be a very big deal, something that the whole country should be deeply concerned about, something justifying wholesale social changes.

    But why? What is this population that we are talking about here? How large is it? How is it defined, biologically, psychologically and behaviorally?
    Well, AMA and APA thinks it's real, so I'm with them on this. As to the definitions: do your own research, will ya?

    Are you trying to suggest there is a minimum size a group must achieve before deserving civil rights and be free from harassment? Hmmm... What's the number?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stanislav
    BS, MS (Applied Maths, Nat'l Technical U. of Ukraine)
    PhD (Computer Science, Florida State University)
    Certificate in Community College Teaching, CSU-DH
    Online faculty workshops (Meritus University, Humber College, Yorkville University)
    LLB(Hons) Open Learning, Northumbria U. - pursuing

  15. #14
    decimon is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav View Post
    Are you trying to suggest there is a minimum size a group must achieve before deserving civil rights and be free from harassment? Hmmm... What's the number?

    A privilege is not a right.

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Stanislav is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon View Post
    A privilege is not a right.
    And the water is wet. Get it.
    I'd only say that restricting a group's access to "privileges" unfairly can and do affect rights. I mean, it's quite clear. Driver license is a privilege; denying it to women as they do in Saudi Arabia is nevertheless (...she persisted ) unjust.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stanislav
    BS, MS (Applied Maths, Nat'l Technical U. of Ukraine)
    PhD (Computer Science, Florida State University)
    Certificate in Community College Teaching, CSU-DH
    Online faculty workshops (Meritus University, Humber College, Yorkville University)
    LLB(Hons) Open Learning, Northumbria U. - pursuing

  18. #16
    03310151 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,988
    We were getting prepared for transgender applicants, lots of training here in the MEPS. Still many many unanswered questions. The number of transgender who would have been able to meet the strict criteria for entry in the military would have been tiny.


    Maybe a couple of them per year, and that's being generous.
    “Suffering you need; literature is baloney.”

Similar Threads

  1. Man castrates transgender woman in her apartment
    By Abner in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM
  2. Transgender wins girls state wrestling championship
    By me again in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 12:46 PM
  4. Most liberal MA in terms of tranfer credits allowed
    By Ruble in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 06:02 PM
  5. Should Posters be Allowed to be Anonymous?
    By me again in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-25-2002, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197