+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    14,532

    Hiring Practices

    demographic shifts, unethical policies

    https://news.uchicago.edu/article/20...gher-education
    American College of Sports Medicine

  2. #2
    jonlevy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    Italian study likely full of junk data. Last names could indicate neoptism but without further proof means nothing at all.

  3. #3
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    demographic shifts, unethical policies

    https://news.uchicago.edu/article/20...gher-education
    I have see a lot of nepotism in government agencies!

  4. #4
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    14,532
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlevy View Post
    Italian study likely full of junk data. Last names could indicate neoptism but without further proof means nothing at all.
    So you're saying that because it's Italian, it's worthless?
    American College of Sports Medicine

  5. #5
    jonlevy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    Yes but not because Italian but because the sample is flawed. In a European country, one would expect to see more duplications of the same last name than in the USA for example. Remember it is supposed to be a scientific study but I suspect the standard deviation on this one makes it pseudoscience or the data has been logged to death to make it seem acceptable. The premise that duplicative last names in European university faculties means nepotism and bias seems flawed to me. For example in the USA, Smith might come up a lot but of course that means nothing by itself unless those Smiths are realted by blood and marriage.

  6. #6
    sanantone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlevy View Post
    Yes but not because Italian but because the sample is flawed. In a European country, one would expect to see more duplications of the same last name than in the USA for example. Remember it is supposed to be a scientific study but I suspect the standard deviation on this one makes it pseudoscience or the data has been logged to death to make it seem acceptable. The premise that duplicative last names in European university faculties means nepotism and bias seems flawed to me. For example in the USA, Smith might come up a lot but of course that means nothing by itself unless those Smiths are realted by blood and marriage.
    I wonder if this is actually true. Since the U.S. is mostly made up of relatively recent immigrants, our last names appear to be more limited. For example, there aren't very many different last names among Hispanics who have been here for generations. When I see a Spanish surname I've never seen before, it's usually because the person is an immigrant or descended from recent immigrants. In the U.S., you'll mostly see Garcia, Garza, Hernandez, Rodriguez, etc. If you go to Latin America or Spain, you'll see greater variation in surnames.

    The same applies with British/Scottish/Irish last names. How many millions of black and white people in the U.S. have the last names of Williams, Smith, Johnson, Jones, etc.?
    Texas State University - PhD CJ (ABD)
    Angelo State University - Master of Security Studies and Grad Cert Terrorism
    Thomas Edison State College/University - BA Soc Sci, AAS in Environmental Safety, ASNSM in Biology, & BSBA in CIS (in progress)

  7. #7
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    14,532
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlevy View Post
    Yes but not because Italian but because the sample is flawed. In a European country, one would expect to see more duplications of the same last name than in the USA for example. Remember it is supposed to be a scientific study but I suspect the standard deviation on this one makes it pseudoscience or the data has been logged to death to make it seem acceptable. The premise that duplicative last names in European university faculties means nepotism and bias seems flawed to me. For example in the USA, Smith might come up a lot but of course that means nothing by itself unless those Smiths are realted by blood and marriage.
    I suspect you're wrong about this but, like you, I have no evidence to support my assertion.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    jonlevy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    Very simple, the smaller the sample, the less accurate a study like that will be. And remember one can easily and acceptably massage the data in multivariate statistics to get closer to the result desired. Some countries like Serbia and Croatia have very few last names for example. The US is going to have the most diversity because it is land of immigrants. Additionally, the same result could be achieved just by eyeballing a roster of faculty and seeing last names repeated and stating "scientically< that it must be nepotism.

  10. #9
    sanantone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlevy View Post
    Very simple, the smaller the sample, the less accurate a study like that will be. And remember one can easily and acceptably massage the data in multivariate statistics to get closer to the result desired. Some countries like Serbia and Croatia have very few last names for example. The US is going to have the most diversity because it is land of immigrants. Additionally, the same result could be achieved just by eyeballing a roster of faculty and seeing last names repeated and stating "scientically< that it must be nepotism.
    The U.S. has greater diversity of ethnic groups, but less diversity in surnames within ethnic groups. You'll find greater variation in Italian last names in Italy than you would in the U.S.
    Texas State University - PhD CJ (ABD)
    Angelo State University - Master of Security Studies and Grad Cert Terrorism
    Thomas Edison State College/University - BA Soc Sci, AAS in Environmental Safety, ASNSM in Biology, & BSBA in CIS (in progress)

Similar Threads

  1. Online Teaching - Best Practices
    By Bruce in forum Online & DL Teaching
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2016, 04:40 PM
  2. Master's program practices. . . questions
    By Petedude in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 01:53 PM
  3. Upset at California Coast University enrollment practices
    By Vinipink in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM
  4. Hiring
    By DRXNYC in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 12:58 PM
  5. RA Electronic Delivery Best Practices - Worth Waiting For ?s -
    By Neil Hynd in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2001, 05:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15