+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    WannaBeAnAdjunct is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy My Situation (Looking for some input) :-S

    Hello all,

    I am new to this forum, however, I have spent the past week or so reading some of the past discussions in the DL Teaching section. At the moment, I am feeling a little disappointed and angry. I am just looking for your opinions regarding my current situation.

    Okay, so here we go....

    I have a BS in Computer Science , and I should be completed with my MS in Computer Science , but I am not. I was scheduled to graduate this past July, but my professor took too long to review my research paper (the last requirement for my Non-thesis option program). In fact, the review process STILL is not finished. This is just a research paper, not a thesis. Now my degree will not be conferred until December 2012. I have about 3 years in the IT work realm so far.

    I was offered what would have been my first online adjunct teaching position. The long process was completed and I was all set for the Fall quarter, but of course, the offer was taken back because my degree had not been conferred in July as expected. :-(
    (But I was told that I can teach at the university once my degree is conferred)

    I am not giving up, I know there are some schools that will still hire me for a non-credit course. There are no CCs in my immediate area that will accept an instructor without having a conferred Masters. I have applied for many positions and I intend to keep applying to others until I get what I desire. Right now I'm just a little disappointed because teaching is something I really want to do and I could really use some extra cash... I'm also angry with my professor for taking such a long time to get around to beginning the review process for my paper. *Sigh*...But that's my situation.... Just wanted to vent and see what other peoples' opinions are.

  2. #2
    cdhale is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cow pasture in Texas
    Posts
    868
    Honestly, I am not sure what you are looking for from us, regarding opinions. No doubt, venting is a good thing on occasion.

    I would just wait until you do get the degree and then proceed.

  3. #3
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,149
    Appeal to the Dean. You've got nothing to lose by trying.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  4. #4
    DxD=D^2 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In his heart, a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. — Proverbs 16:9
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhale View Post
    Honestly, I am not sure what you are looking for from us, regarding opinions. No doubt, venting is a good thing on occasion.

    I would just wait until you do get the degree and then proceed.
    cdhale,

    I think your being a bit harsh for someone who is just pouring their heart out to a helping ear.


    WannaBeAAdjunct,

    In due time you'll get your shot... I want to be an adjunct too. I just need to finish my undergrad and then next is my masters. Keep your head up! God has a reason for everything!
    PhD Leadership - University of the Cumberlands ('19)
    MA Leadership & Organizational Studies - Azusa Pacific University ('17)
    MS Psychology - Southern New Hampshire University ('16)
    BS Psychology - Liberty University ('13)

    In his heart, a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. — Proverbs 16:9

  5. #5
    Randell1234 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,768
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeAnAdjunct View Post
    Hello all,

    I am new to this forum, however, I have spent the past week or so reading some of the past discussions in the DL Teaching section. At the moment, I am feeling a little disappointed and angry. I am just looking for your opinions regarding my current situation.

    Okay, so here we go....

    I have a BS in Computer Science , and I should be completed with my MS in Computer Science , but I am not. I was scheduled to graduate this past July, but my professor took too long to review my research paper (the last requirement for my Non-thesis option program). In fact, the review process STILL is not finished. This is just a research paper, not a thesis. Now my degree will not be conferred until December 2012. I have about 3 years in the IT work realm so far.

    I was offered what would have been my first online adjunct teaching position. The long process was completed and I was all set for the Fall quarter, but of course, the offer was taken back because my degree had not been conferred in July as expected. :-(
    (But I was told that I can teach at the university once my degree is conferred)

    I am not giving up, I know there are some schools that will still hire me for a non-credit course. There are no CCs in my immediate area that will accept an instructor without having a conferred Masters. I have applied for many positions and I intend to keep applying to others until I get what I desire. Right now I'm just a little disappointed because teaching is something I really want to do and I could really use some extra cash... I'm also angry with my professor for taking such a long time to get around to beginning the review process for my paper. *Sigh*...But that's my situation.... Just wanted to vent and see what other peoples' opinions are.
    Just finish your degree and start to flood the market with your resume. I would even recommend joining Linkedin (if you have not already) and join a few online teaching groups - there are plenty. This is a good way to start to network. Don't stress, there is plenty of options out there.

  6. #6
    DxD=D^2 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In his heart, a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. — Proverbs 16:9
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Randell1234 View Post
    Just finish your degree and start to flood the market with your resume. I would even recommend joining Linkedin (if you have not already) and join a few online teaching groups - there are plenty. This is a good way to start to network. Don't stress, there is plenty of options out there.
    LinkedIn is a great site to use. I have networked with so many people in the I/O Psych field... It's can be a great source to learn and to network.
    PhD Leadership - University of the Cumberlands ('19)
    MA Leadership & Organizational Studies - Azusa Pacific University ('17)
    MS Psychology - Southern New Hampshire University ('16)
    BS Psychology - Liberty University ('13)

    In his heart, a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. — Proverbs 16:9

  7. #7
    WannaBeAnAdjunct is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for your input guys!

    There is another student at the university who is going through the same thing with this same professor. She has been detoured from graduation because of his lack of communication and response as well. We are looking into speaking with someone about this issue.

    I don't have a LinkedIn account, but I will look into creating one... I'll also work on being more patient with completing my Masters. I know it will be worth it!

    Hopefully sometime in January you guys will see a more up-beat post from me saying I've obtained my first DL adjunct position!

    Thanks again... I feel much better after reading your responses!

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Randell1234 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,768
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeAnAdjunct View Post
    Thanks for your input guys!

    There is another student at the university who is going through the same thing with this same professor. She has been detoured from graduation because of his lack of communication and response as well. We are looking into speaking with someone about this issue.

    I don't have a LinkedIn account, but I will look into creating one... I'll also work on being more patient with completing my Masters. I know it will be worth it!

    Hopefully sometime in January you guys will see a more up-beat post from me saying I've obtained my first DL adjunct position!

    Thanks again... I feel much better after reading your responses!
    It took me just over a year to land my first adjunct job after getting my masters degree. It is worth the wait to get that initial experience.

  10. #9
    cdhale is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cow pasture in Texas
    Posts
    868
    It can definitely take awhile, and it appears to be getting no easier. One of my long-standing adjuncting schools just sent out a note to all adjuncts stating that for those who did not have a PhD, courses would be few and far between in the future. I have taught for them for 3 1/2 years, but am looking to other things now. I am going to start applying to PhD programs, as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Somewhat unique situation
    By johnp in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 07:00 AM
  2. Situation at work
    By Michele in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 08:39 PM
  3. DBA at USQ interesting situation
    By Distanceman in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197