+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23
  1. #1
    me again is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,793

    Lightbulb Alt.left print media hemorrhaging financially

    As promised and predicted:

    Quote Originally Posted by Imani Moise
    The New York Times, like all legacy news outlets, is battling steep declines in print advertising . The NYT is subsequently seeking nonprofit funding to support them. Editor-in-Chief Dean Baquet and Managing Editor Joseph Kahn said: “Philanthropies and universities have come forward to support journalism .”

    Other newspapers are pursuing similar models. The U.K.’s Guardian launched a nonprofit arm to focus on raising money from corporate foundations, philanthropies and citizens. “We have to think about how to find revenue beyond advertising ,” said Rachel White, president of the newspaper’s nonprofit venture.

    Legal or ethical questions associated with taking donations...
    Full story:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...cts-1504298040
    MA, Franciscan University of Steubenville, Theology: in-progress online
    Info: http://www.franciscan.edu/academics/graduate-programs/
    Favorite scriptures: Rev. 11:15 & Luke 24:45

    LET'S DO THIS! https://www.facebook.com/TrumpForPresident2020/

  2. #2
    Bruce is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,530
    That's a shame.

    --
    Bruce Tait
    A.S. (Criminal Justice) Quincy College
    B.A. (Criminal Justice) Curry College
    M.A. (Criminal Justice) University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    M.A. (Forensic & Counseling Psychology) Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
    Certificate (Investigative Psychology) CUNY-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

    MOOC's
    Certificate (Disability Awareness and Support in Higher Education) University of Pittsburgh
    Certificate (International Criminal Law) Case Western Reserve University
    Certificate (Psychology of Criminal Justice) University of Queensland
    Certificate (Classical Sociological Theory) University of Amsterdam



    RA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/16/08

    NA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/20/08

  3. #3
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    Print media outlets of all kinds have been failing for years. This is nothing even remotely new.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  4. #4
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,891
    Jeff Bezos buying the Washington Post despite its lack of profitability is the model here. I don't think that's the last daily newspaper that will become a status symbol of conspicuous consumption for the superrich.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  5. #5
    me again is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,793

    Thumbs up Alt.left MSM print media (Old Model) v. Internet (New Model)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    Print media outlets of all kinds have been failing for years. This is nothing even remotely new.
    The traditional or historical method of making money through advertising in print media (old model) is antiquated and is failing. The alt.left socialists placed ALL of their financial and political eggs in that basket. It was the only existing media model. TV became an extension of the alt.left print media.

    For decades, socialists have been purchasing all of the MSM print media outlets and major TV networks (old model). In the 1990s (Rush Limbaugh via radio) and in the early 21st Century (Fox News via TV) were some of the first conservative outlets to counter the alt.left owned propaganda machine. That was just a precursor of newer media technologies to come via the internet. The internet is now exploding at unprecedented levels.

    Today, alt.left print media (old model) is failing because it is rapidly being replaced by inexpensive internet outlets (new model), which provides conservative freedom-loving American patriots a substantive alternative to alt.left MSM brainwashing. That is what is new.
    Last edited by me again; 09-02-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Let's do this!
    MA, Franciscan University of Steubenville, Theology: in-progress online
    Info: http://www.franciscan.edu/academics/graduate-programs/
    Favorite scriptures: Rev. 11:15 & Luke 24:45

    LET'S DO THIS! https://www.facebook.com/TrumpForPresident2020/

  6. #6
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,352
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    Jeff Bezos buying the Washington Post despite its lack of profitability is the model here. I don't think that's the last daily newspaper that will become a status symbol of conspicuous consumption for the superrich.

    Veblen good, Steve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

    The development of Thorstein Veblen's sociology of conspicuous consumption produced the term invidious consumption, the ostentatious consumption of goods that is meant to provoke the envy of other people; and the term conspicuous compassion, the deliberate use of charitable donations of money in order to enhance the social prestige of the donor, with a display of superior socio-economic status.[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption


    Maybe there will some day be a Foerster wing of a hospital. ;-)

  7. #7
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    Of course, the real takeaway from this thread is that you use citations from the mainstream media when you think they support your case and then you completely demean and disregard those same sources when they say something you don't like. To quote one of our other esteemed members,

    How Conveeeeeenient!!!!
    American College of Sports Medicine

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,891
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon View Post
    Veblen good, Steve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

    The development of Thorstein Veblen's sociology of conspicuous consumption produced the term invidious consumption, the ostentatious consumption of goods that is meant to provoke the envy of other people; and the term conspicuous compassion, the deliberate use of charitable donations of money in order to enhance the social prestige of the donor, with a display of superior socio-economic status.[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption
    Yes, exactly! And the price will go up, because the number of widely recognized daily newspapers isn't very large.

    Maybe there will some day be a Foerster wing of a hospital. ;-)
    Well, I suppose some would say that a proctology wing would be a suitable tribute....
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  10. #9
    Bruce is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    Of course, the real takeaway from this thread is that you use citations from the mainstream media when you think they support your case and then you completely demean and disregard those same sources when they say something you don't like. To quote one of our other esteemed members,

    How Conveeeeeenient!!!!
    The Wall Street Journal isn't part of the Democrat propaganda cabal. Do you honestly think the New York Times would touch that story with a bargepole?
    --
    Bruce Tait
    A.S. (Criminal Justice) Quincy College
    B.A. (Criminal Justice) Curry College
    M.A. (Criminal Justice) University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    M.A. (Forensic & Counseling Psychology) Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
    Certificate (Investigative Psychology) CUNY-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

    MOOC's
    Certificate (Disability Awareness and Support in Higher Education) University of Pittsburgh
    Certificate (International Criminal Law) Case Western Reserve University
    Certificate (Psychology of Criminal Justice) University of Queensland
    Certificate (Classical Sociological Theory) University of Amsterdam



    RA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/16/08

    NA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/20/08

  11. #10
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The Wall Street Journal isn't part of the Democrat propaganda cabal. Do you honestly think the New York Times would touch that story with a bargepole?
    I'm sorry. I've never been given a list. It's hard to keep track because it seems that we've got the Main Stream Media, which would seem to include the Wall Street Journal. And now we've got the Democratic Propaganda Cabal. Shall we call them the DPC? And so the DPC is a nefarious subset of the MSM? It's all so complicated. It's almost like people just make this stuff up as they go along.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  12. #11
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,891
    It does make things confusing when conservatives decry the "mainstream media", as though the term doesn't also include Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Times, among others.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  13. #12
    Bruce is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    It does make things confusing when conservatives decry the "mainstream media", as though the term doesn't also include Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Times, among others.
    That's actually a pretty comprehensive list of media news outlets that don't display absurd bias to the left.

    Not very long, is it?
    --
    Bruce Tait
    A.S. (Criminal Justice) Quincy College
    B.A. (Criminal Justice) Curry College
    M.A. (Criminal Justice) University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    M.A. (Forensic & Counseling Psychology) Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
    Certificate (Investigative Psychology) CUNY-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

    MOOC's
    Certificate (Disability Awareness and Support in Higher Education) University of Pittsburgh
    Certificate (International Criminal Law) Case Western Reserve University
    Certificate (Psychology of Criminal Justice) University of Queensland
    Certificate (Classical Sociological Theory) University of Amsterdam



    RA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/16/08

    NA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/20/08

  14. #13
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    That's actually a pretty comprehensive list of media news outlets that don't display absurd bias to the left.

    Not very long, is it?
    On the one hand, I entirely agree that more mainstream outlets lean left than right. And I find that in the Trump era, those on the left have abandoned their previous pretence at objectivity. For example, because it's convenient in the car I have listened to a lot more NPR than I might have otherwise, and while it was always left-leaning, in the last year it's veered sharply to the left. Even Marketplace makes me shout corrections at the radio now, to the point where I've mostly given up on the radio altogether and listen to Pandora over bluetooth.

    On the other hand, in part because of this, the mainstream media outlets on the right are awfully prominent. And it does't surprise me that as a result they're financially healthier, e.g., the Washington Times is profitable (finally) even while the Washington Post is not.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  15. #14
    me again is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,793

    Thumbs down Alt.left media = Propaganda, lies and FAKE NEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    ...those [in the alt.left media] have abandoned their previous pretence at objectivity....
    The alt.left media are proud Democratic puppets (mouth pieces) that are bought and paid-for by communists. They make no apologies for their biased agenda. What's ironic is that their platforms were, at one time, world-renowned for objective and unbiased journalistic reporting (prior to being bought-out by socialists). Conversely, they are now world-renowned for spewing Goebbels-like propaganda. Instead of reporting objective news, they now create news to fit an unyielding communistic dogma. However, they will eventually yield to bankruptcy because patriotic Americans don't like being courted with "propaganda, lies and FAKE NEWS" (which is the downfall of the alt.left media). You know it's true.
    MA, Franciscan University of Steubenville, Theology: in-progress online
    Info: http://www.franciscan.edu/academics/graduate-programs/
    Favorite scriptures: Rev. 11:15 & Luke 24:45

    LET'S DO THIS! https://www.facebook.com/TrumpForPresident2020/

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,352
    Quote Originally Posted by me again View Post
    What's ironic is that their platforms were, at one time, world-renowned for objective and unbiased journalistic reporting...

    Some may have been so touted but bias is a given.

  18. #16
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,891
    Quote Originally Posted by me again View Post
    The alt.left media are proud Democratic puppets (mouth pieces) that are bought and paid-for by communists. They make no apologies for their biased agenda. What's ironic is that their platforms were, at one time, world-renowned for objective and unbiased journalistic reporting (prior to being bought-out by socialists). Conversely, they are now world-renowned for spewing Goebbels-like propaganda. Instead of reporting objective news, they now create news to fit an unyielding communistic dogma. However, they will eventually yield to bankruptcy because patriotic Americans don't like being courted with "propaganda, lies and FAKE NEWS" (which is the downfall of the alt.left media). You know it's true.
    The mainstream media is pretty useless, yes. But what I know isn't true is that someone is "communist" or "Goebbels-like" just because I disagree with them. I mean, do you talk like this in your theology classes?
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

Similar Threads

  1. 2 classes left @ UWA
    By krainey in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 05:07 PM
  2. A few degrees left
    By Ronin Distance in forum Online & DL Teaching
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 06:55 PM
  3. Six lessons left to go
    By mom of 5 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM
  4. Get Your IT Degree and Go Out of Print
    By Tom Head in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-2002, 10:09 AM
  5. Print media vs. Computer assisted
    By BrentBrueland in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2002, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15