+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Abner is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,433

    Long Beach Settles Lawsuit After Police Forcibly Remove Woman's Hijab


  2. #2
    b4cz28 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,820
    What to stop anyone wearing a hat from claiming its a religious hat? Where do you draw the line? What is you have to search her? Also where in the Koran does it say she has to wear one anyways...nonsense. I hope you don't think that's a good thing Abner?
    The Bible

  3. #3
    Abner is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,433
    Quote Originally Posted by b4cz28 View Post
    What to stop anyone wearing a hat from claiming its a religious hat? Where do you draw the line? What is you have to search her? Also where in the Koran does it say she has to wear one anyways...nonsense. I hope you don't think that's a good thing Abner?
    To be honest, I am surprised this person won her lawsuit. It seems like the cops should have the right to remove head gear of any kind, across the board.

  4. #4
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by b4cz28 View Post
    What to stop anyone wearing a hat from claiming its a religious hat? Where do you draw the line? What is you have to search her? Also where in the Koran does it say she has to wear one anyways...nonsense. I hope you don't think that's a good thing Abner?

    Pastafarians have had mixed results in demanding to wear their colanders for ID photos. Silly but true.

  5. #5
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,097
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well, it's a tricky situation, isn't it?

    It's important to understand the violation she feels- she said she felt "naked". Imagine if we read that a woman was stripped naked and left in the cell overnight as men passed her by. To most of us, that is not an equivalent situation, but to her it is. Whether you think she should feel that way, or whether you think it is wrong for her religion and culture to put such demands on her is a separate question.

    On the other hand, she was arrested under the suspicion of committing a crime. She was in jail. Loss of freedom is to be expected. Allowing religious garb creates an easily exploitable loophole on the banning of headgear, which exists for practical and safety reasons.

    Could they at least, after having inspected the hijab and having female officers inspect her hair, let her wear it while she was alone in her cell? Even if she had to take it off at other times?
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    If you're tired of starting over, STOP GIVING UP!!! -Shia LaBoeuf

  6. #6
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,149
    Quote Originally Posted by b4cz28 View Post
    What to stop anyone wearing a hat from claiming its a religious hat?
    You should probably be aware that there are "religious hats."

    Beliefs on Wearing Hats in Religion | Synonym

    Some of us belong to very small religions and we have our very specialized hats

    American College of Sports Medicine

  7. #7
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    Could they at least, after having inspected the hijab and having female officers inspect her hair, let her wear it while she was alone in her cell? Even if she had to take it off at other times?
    Clearly, as you suggested, the Police could have handled it differently and that's why they lost the lawsuit. b4's question is a good one though and ultimately it's the point of the entire incident, "Where do you draw the line?" A certain amount of accommodation is a reasonable expectation but it would be easy enough to come up with hypotheticals that challenge any policy, regardless of how accommodating you are trying to be.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    Clearly, as you suggested, the Police could have handled it differently and that's why they lost the lawsuit. b4's question is a good one though and ultimately it's the point of the entire incident, "Where do you draw the line?" A certain amount of accommodation is a reasonable expectation but it would be easy enough to come up with hypotheticals that challenge any policy, regardless of how accommodating you are trying to be.

  10. #9
    Abner is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,433
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon View Post
    Pastafarians have had mixed results in demanding to wear their colanders for ID photos. Silly but true.
    I remember that case! Silly but true as you say.

  11. #10
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    I remember that case! Silly but true as you say.

    Devotees of RAW are silly people.

Similar Threads

  1. DeVry Settles Lawsuit
    By Kizmet in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 11:35 AM
  2. woman jumps on back of man attacking police officer
    By Abner in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2017, 03:18 PM
  3. Anyone ever done the Cal State Long Beach GLS program?
    By CargoJon in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 04:20 AM
  4. CSU Long Beach....
    By SactoMike in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 10:01 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197