+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,426

    Cypress Colllege

    Is Cypress College awarding 4 year degrees yet? They were on track to start, but I don't know what has happened since then. CC is my alma mater, among other schools. Go Chargers!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    Is Cypress College awarding 4 year degrees yet? They were on track to start, but I don't know what has happened since then. CC is my alma mater, among other schools. Go Chargers!!!!!!!!!
    Funny story. As a young man, I was a student of mortuary sciences for a year. I figured it was a good line of work because people die every day! But then I had a startling revelation on day. I realized that working around dead people is VERY depressing, which is kind of comical because I suffer from clinical depression. Duh Abner!

  3. #3
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    Is Cypress College awarding 4 year degrees yet? They were on track to start, but I don't know what has happened since then. CC is my alma mater, among other schools. Go Chargers!!!!!!!!!
    Not according to their website, Abner. Associate degrees only - some are "transfer degrees" which the College says are good for transfer to bachelor studies at California State Universities. Cypress College Home Page

    Looks like a nice two-year school. Hope you enjoyed your time there.

    J.

  4. #4
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    Funny story. As a young man, I was a student of mortuary sciences for a year. I figured it was a good line of work because people die every day! But then I had a startling revelation on day. I realized that working around dead people is VERY depressing, which is kind of comical because I suffer from clinical depression. Duh Abner!
    Death rituals are an important aspect to every culture on the planet. Morticians play a role in that process that is quite helpful to everyone involved in regards to the honoring of the deceased person's life and moving through bereavement toward the life ahead. It may, at times be depressing but it is a valuable service to provide.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  5. #5
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Not according to their website, Abner. Associate degrees only - some are "transfer degrees" which the College says are good for transfer to bachelor studies at California State Universities. Cypress College Home Page

    Looks like a nice two-year school. Hope you enjoyed your time there.

    J.
    Hmm, I thought I read hear somewhere that they were on track to start issuing a very limited amount of 4 years. Yes, I really enjoyed my time there. I went there for approx. 12 years and earned my A.A., plus many transfer credits. I took everything under the sun from Art to business and everything in between. I was also a body builder back then, and the art department used to pay me to model nude in art class! Geez, only in America! :)

    I wen to many schools. I was almost ready to get my BGS from the correpondence depart of the University of Iowa, but towards the end the really jacked up their tuition rates and I just could not afford it. Looking back at it now, I wished I would have stuck it and got my BS from a top notch school like that. I also was a student at Brigham Young for a while, but that was a washout. I really wanted to be a Hawkeye!

    Well, suffice it to say, I have attended my DL course and B&M courses. When I started they were true paper and pen correspondence courses. Many of the course assignment were hand written. Thanks to this forum, I also took a boat load of clep and dantes. Let's just say it takes a large manila envelope to mail in my transcripts.

    As of this writing, I now possess a RA AA, A NA BS and a NA MBA . To be truthful, I kind of miss the true old school method of delivery via paper and pen. I had a certain personal quality to it.

    I can go and on. It has been a long, strange trip. Though I regret not getting my BGS from UOI, and I am least happy that I have accredited degrees to show for all my years as a professional student.

  6. #6
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner
    To be truthful, I kind of miss the true old school method of delivery via paper and pen.
    So do I ... and waiting for the delivery horse... We thought ICS was really something, in the 90's - the 1890's, that is.

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 07-19-2017 at 01:15 PM.

  7. #7
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,426
    [QUOTE=Johann;507314]So do I ... and waiting for the delivery horse... We thought ICS was really something, in the 90's - the 1890's, that is.

    J.[/QUOT

    Yeah, but part of the fun was waiting for the mail to see your grade! Once you know you passed, you drew a large sense of relief and the excitment was checking the mail box everyday. I remember Dr. Bear was involved with prisoners who went to school via the "Real old school" method. I still miss paper and pen. I dislike a lot of the computer bullshit now. Of course, back in the 80's, If you said you were going to school vial pen and paper, people, would say "Oh really, you mean like those schools that advertise on the match book covers? Boy, DL has really gone far.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,426
    [QUOTE=Abner;507317]
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    So do I ... and waiting for the delivery horse... We thought ICS was really something, in the 90's - the 1890's, that is.

    J.[/QUOT

    Yeah, but part of the fun was waiting for the mail to see your grade! Once you know you passed, you drew a large sense of relief and the excitment was checking the mail box everyday. I remember Dr. Bear was involved with prisoners who went to school via the "Real old school" method. I still miss paper and pen. I dislike a lot of the computer bullshit now. Of course, back in the 80's, If you said you were going to school vial pen and paper, people, would say "Oh really, you mean like those schools that advertise on the match book covers? Boy, DL has really gone far.
    Actually, since I mentioned Dr. Bear. What DL opportunities are available to prisoners. My young nephew is the son of my now retired brother (cop). How does he go about requesting DL opportunities if you are prisoner? Ah, my poor brother. The cops kept letting my nephew off for many offensess like brandishing a Samurai Sword at Officers, and the kept kept letting him off because my brother had a high position with the po po. I think he has worn out his welcomes now, and the judges are not very patient.! Ay these kids, he was raised in "The OC' for god sakes! What the heck went wrong! My nephew is no longer the subject of special favors, and the cops keep VERY close tabs on him. He was on the way to rehab recently, then the po po stopped him for driving his bike in an erratic manner! Or something like. He is under the cops radar and is well known not in a good way now! :(

    I wish he could make use of his time and get a degree of some kind whilst behind bars.

  10. #9
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    We thought ICS was really something, in the 90's - the 1890's, that is.

    Walter Chrysler did alright with it.

  11. #10
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,323
    There are ALL kinds of opportunities for incarcerated students. I just Googled "special programs for incarcerated students" and I got pages and pages. Here's one article: The Incarcerated Student's Guide To Enrolling In College From Prison

    I've heard of at least one accredited Doctorate earned behind bars. I think it was in Psychology and the recipient was a convicted murderer who is not likely to be released - ever. There are numerous "jailhouse lawyers" who have earned law degrees while behind bars. It's kind of a two-edged sword. There's a murderer from my town, here in Ontario, who has been serving many years for killing his wife and two young children. The son's body has never been found. So far he has earned three degrees from his cell. How he deserves to do this at taxpayer expense is a mystery to me.

    I'm fully in favour of education when the prisoner regrets his/her crime and can look forward to integration into society. Otherwise, it is effort and money wasted.

    J.

  12. #11
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    There are ALL kinds of opportunities for incarcerated students. I just Googled "special programs for incarcerated students" and I got pages and pages. Here's one article: The Incarcerated Student's Guide To Enrolling In College From Prison

    I've heard of at least one accredited Doctorate earned behind bars. I think it was in Psychology and the recipient was a convicted murderer who is not likely to be released - ever. There are numerous "jailhouse lawyers" who have earned law degrees while behind bars. It's kind of a two-edged sword. There's a murderer from my town, here in Ontario, who has been serving many years for killing his wife and two young children. The son's body has never been found. So far he has earned three degrees from his cell. How he deserves to do this at taxpayer expense is a mystery to me.

    I'm fully in favour of education when the prisoner regrets his/her crime and can look forward to integration into society. Otherwise, it is effort and money wasted.

    J.
    Yeah, I don't think my nephew has what it takes to take college level courses, wishful thinking on my part. Lord knows what's going to become of the young lad, he is always getting in trouble.

  13. #12
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,323
    Oh yes - I think it was this guy. He has been incarcerated since 1975 and earned all his degrees, including his Doctorate, while in jail. Good schools, too! https://authorpatmiddleton.com/about/

    J.

  14. #13
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,323
    Abner, has your nephew completed high school? If he hasn't, that can be done from behind bars. It's a start. And I've heard of people learning trades while in jail. I once met a welder who told me he got his initial training while behind bars. He made good money when he got out, for sure!

    J.

  15. #14
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Abner, has your nephew completed high school? If he hasn't, that can be done from behind bars. It's a start. And I've heard of people learning trades while in jail. I once met a welder who told me he got his initial training while behind bars. He made good money when he got out, for sure!

    J.
    Yeah, he has a high school diploma. He doesn't seem to want to do anything except play damn video games!

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,323
    Actually, Patrick Middleton wasn't the man I was thinking of - and I don't know anything about the crimes that landed him in jail. I was hazily remembering an old thread on DI that dealt with a couple of other "Jailhouse Doctors." It's here: Murderer completing Capella doctorate

    J.

  18. #16
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    Yeah, he has a high school diploma. He doesn't seem to want to do anything except play damn video games!
    I know 40-year-olds with that problem. A couple of them live in my building. Some have a double-whammy - they like to smoke pot and play games to the exclusion of everything else. A few of those so afflicted work to support their game addictions and psychological pot dependencies - many don't.

    Dope will be legal here next year. Maybe the government could make video games illegal instead -- but that would just make them more attractive and breed a new grade of criminals. It's a lose, lose, no-win situation.

Similar Threads

  1. Clovis Community Colllege
    By Shawn Ambrose in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 06:13 AM
  2. 6 Indicted in Colllege Test Fraud
    By Charles in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 01:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15