+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 38
  1. #1
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,564

    White, Irish, and undocumented in America

    XVI.8: Confucius said, "There are three things of which the superior man stand in awe. He stands in awe of the ordinances of Heaven. He stands in awe of great men. He stands in awe of the words of the sages. The mean man does not know the ordinances of Heaven, and consequently does not stand in awe of them. He is disrespectful to great men. He makes sport of the words of the sages."

  2. #2
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Interesting, Abner. Here's an article on another group of Irish origin in America -one that's long interested me, the Irish Travelers.

    Who are Murphy Village's Irish Travelers? | The State

    Mark Wahlberg starred in a 1997 movie about a group of Irish Travelers in North Carolina - details here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120366/...?ref_=tt_ov_pl

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-17-2017 at 03:16 PM.

  3. #3
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Interesting, Abner. Here's an article on another group of Irish origin in America -one that's long interested me, the Irish Travelers.

    Who are Murphy Village's Irish Travelers? | The State

    Mark Wahlberg starred in a 1997 movie about a group of Irish Travelers in North Carolina - details here: Traveller (1997) - Plot Summary - IMDb

    J.
    Yes, The Irish are a beautiful interesting people. Their roots extend to Spain in Galicia:


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmhTKoCEMk

    The San Patricio's are very much loved in Mexico to this day. Of course, I am partial because I am married to an Irish lassie.
    Last edited by Abner; 03-17-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    XVI.8: Confucius said, "There are three things of which the superior man stand in awe. He stands in awe of the ordinances of Heaven. He stands in awe of great men. He stands in awe of the words of the sages. The mean man does not know the ordinances of Heaven, and consequently does not stand in awe of them. He is disrespectful to great men. He makes sport of the words of the sages."

  4. #4
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,564

    To the San Patricio's

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFvgNiZUfTE

    Viva los Irlandes!!!!!!!!!
    XVI.8: Confucius said, "There are three things of which the superior man stand in awe. He stands in awe of the ordinances of Heaven. He stands in awe of great men. He stands in awe of the words of the sages. The mean man does not know the ordinances of Heaven, and consequently does not stand in awe of them. He is disrespectful to great men. He makes sport of the words of the sages."

  5. #5
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner
    Yes, The Irish are a beautiful interesting people. Their roots extend to Spain...
    Aye, 'tis true, señor! Says so here: https://www.sott.net/article/263587-...iously-thought

    A quote: "the closest genetic relatives of the Irish in Europe are to be found in the north of Spain in the region known as the Basque Country."

    Ireland's own legends have the story of early settlers, the Milesians - sons of Mil, the soldier from Spain. (Interesting. "Soldier" in Latin is miles, militis. Latin similarities in Celtic words are often found - more likely due to the common Indo-European source and roots of Latin and Celtic tongues - not Roman influence.)

    ¿Quien sabe?

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-17-2017 at 04:51 PM.

  6. #6
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post

    An open secret in New York. And it's questionable how many Puerto Ricans are Puerto Rican.

  7. #7
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Aye, 'tis true, señor! Says so here: https://www.sott.net/article/263587-...iously-thought

    A quote: "the closest genetic relatives of the Irish in Europe are to be found in the north of Spain in the region known as the Basque Country."

    Ireland's own legends have the story of early settlers, the Milesians - sons of Mil, the soldier from Spain. (Interesting. "Soldier" in Latin is miles, militis. Latin similarities in Celtic words are often found - more likely due to the common Indo-European source and roots of Latin and Celtic tongues - not Roman influence.)

    ¿Quien sabe?
    J.
    You are truly a languages expert! I have been to Basque Country, it is beautiful there. My father is Spanish American. I have family in Valencia (Valencian language) I have two cousins with pale white skin and raving red hair!
    XVI.8: Confucius said, "There are three things of which the superior man stand in awe. He stands in awe of the ordinances of Heaven. He stands in awe of great men. He stands in awe of the words of the sages. The mean man does not know the ordinances of Heaven, and consequently does not stand in awe of them. He is disrespectful to great men. He makes sport of the words of the sages."

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner
    I have been to Basque Country, it is beautiful there. My father is Spanish American.
    So was Martin Sheen's father, Francisco Estévez. Born in Spain, lived in Cuba for a while, then came to U.S.

    You like all kinds of music, Abner, so you might be interested in Basque accordionists. Look for Kepa Junkera. I like Tex-Mex and Mexican players too, e.g. Flaco Jiménez and Mingo Saldivar. And those who play Cajun music too - like the late Clifton Chenier, his son C.J., Boozoo Chavis, Rockin' Sidney... Aiyeeee! Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!)

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-20-2017 at 02:00 PM.

  10. #9
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    So was Martin Sheen's father, Francisco Estévez. Born in Spain, lived in Cuba for a while, then came to U.S.

    You like all kinds of music, Abner, so you might be interested in Basque accordionists. Look for Kepa Junkera. I like Tex-Mex and Mexican players too, e.g. Flaco Jiménez and Mingo Saldivar. And those who play Cajun music too - like the late Clifton Chenier, his son C.J., Boozoo Chavis, Rockin' Sidney... Aiyeeee! Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!)

    J.
    I do love music. Anything ranging from punk rock to classical, and everything in between. I will check out those musicians. Thanks!
    XVI.8: Confucius said, "There are three things of which the superior man stand in awe. He stands in awe of the ordinances of Heaven. He stands in awe of great men. He stands in awe of the words of the sages. The mean man does not know the ordinances of Heaven, and consequently does not stand in awe of them. He is disrespectful to great men. He makes sport of the words of the sages."

  11. #10
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    ¿Quien sabe?

    J.

    Is that Kemo's sister?

  12. #11
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon
    Is that Kemo's sister?
    No - it means "Who knew?" in Spanish. Abner is fluent in Spanish and we were talking about Spanish / Irish connections.

    What you're talking about, I think, may come from gimoozaabi, an Ojibwe and Potawatomi word, something like "he/she looks out in secret" - someone whose back you have, and who has yours. Odd, considering the actor Jay Silverheels (born Harold John Smith) wasn't of that Nation. He was a Native Canadian, Iroquoian, - a Mohawk, to be specific, from quite close to where I live. I took some Mohawk language lessons at a local Native Centre a few years ago - enjoyed them.

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-21-2017 at 04:51 PM.

  13. #12
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I took some Mohawk language lessons at a local Native Centre a few years ago - enjoyed them.

    J.

    Yeah, looking like Travis Bickle would be cool. ;-)

  14. #13
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    I'm proud to say that although I was born in England, there was no time lost gaining a Canadian Native bloodline in my family. There's now lots of First Nations blood in us, from two different sources. Yeah, that gives me joy!

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-21-2017 at 05:04 PM.

  15. #14
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon
    Yeah, looking like Travis Bickle would be cool. ;-)
    I didn't know who that was until I looked him up. I'll write it off as a "haircut joke." This villain-character may have had a "Mohawk" haircut, but I don't believe there was anything else even remotely Native about him.

    I hope you weren't hinting at something pejorative about Native Americans / Canadians.

    J.

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I'm proud to say that although I was born in England, there was no time lost gaining a Canadian Native bloodline in my family. There's now lots of First Nations blood in us, from two different sources. Yeah, that gives me joy!

    J.
    That's great. Must be a beautiful family indeed.

  18. #16
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Abner
    Must be a beautiful family indeed.
    Sure is! Once you get past me, that is.

    J.

Similar Threads

  1. Undocumented Language Discovered
    By Maniac Craniac in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM
  2. White America Has Lost Its Mind
    By thomas_jefferson in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 02:58 PM
  3. Another 'Irish' wonder - Ballmore Irish Unversity
    By George Brown in forum Accreditation Discussions (RA, DETC, state approval, and unaccredited schools)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 12:41 PM
  4. Luck is truly with the Irish
    By Mr. Engineer in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15