+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,170

    Reinventing The Liberal Arts: College In One Year For $5

    TaxProf Blog
    Paul Caron

    TaxProf Blog

  2. #2
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    13,204
    Not a new idea

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Classics

    If you simply want an education you only need a library card. If you want a degree it becomes a bit more complicated.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  3. #3
    TomE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    284
    Very interesting idea that has already been "done" in a similar manner with the MBA :

    https://personalmba.com/best-business-books/

  4. #4
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    I don't see this as being the same as the Harvard Classics or any Personal/Portable/Potemkin MBA . It looks more a guide to learning materials than in index of them.

    The first review at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5792b187615987, includes, "That my degree, laden with disjointed courses in language, history , science, and math, would be bought at too dear a price!" That the standard educational model is all "disjointed courses" is a bug of mine as I think it would be better to focus on one field at a time.

  5. #5
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon View Post
    I don't see this as being the same as the Harvard Classics or any Personal/Portable/Potemkin MBA . It looks more a guide to learning materials than in index of them.

    The first review at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5792b187615987, includes, "That my degree, laden with disjointed courses in language, history, science, and math, would be bought at too dear a price!" That the standard educational model is all "disjointed courses" is a bug of mine as I think it would be better to focus on one field at a time.
    You would probably be happier with a British university as the Commonwealth System is much more focused on a singular subject. The American system is much more Liberal Arts oriented with people required to take many credits of "general education " courses that are not directly related to their field of interest. There are pros and cons to each system.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  6. #6
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    You would probably be happier with a British university as the Commonwealth System is much more focused on a singular subject.
    Well, my time has passed so this isn't about me.

    The American system is much more Liberal Arts oriented with people required to take many credits of "general education" courses that are not directly related to their field of interest. There are pros and cons to each system.
    My problem isn't with the scope of education but with the "disjointed" nature of class scheduling. Going from a history class to a math class to one in your major, etc., encourages, if not forces, studying to the test rather than retention of what is ostensibly being learned.

  7. #7
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    Not a new idea

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Classics

    If you simply want an education you only need a library card. If you want a degree it becomes a bit more complicated.
    This.
    No one is fooling themselves, you don't pay for education , you pay for the credential. Credentials = $$$$$
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon View Post
    Well, my time has passed so this isn't about me.
    American College of Sports Medicine

  10. #9
    TomE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    284
    Actually clicking on the (affiliate) Amazon link led to an interesting conclusion. Of the top 5 "Customers of this book also bought" books, 2 are by Milo Yianopoulos and one is by Vox Day. From this, I gather that many are taking the mantra of "study liberal arts, but not in a university" REALLY seriously!

  11. #10
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,142
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE View Post
    Actually clicking on the (affiliate) Amazon link led to an interesting conclusion. Of the top 5 "Customers of this book also bought" books, 2 are by Milo Yianopoulos and one is by Vox Day. From this, I gather that many are taking the mantra of "study liberal arts, but not in a university" REALLY seriously!
    That tracks. Antipathy towards the modern left-leaning ivory tower and a pining for the traditional liberal arts approach are both common themes among those sorts of conservatives.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  12. #11
    TomE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    That tracks. Antipathy towards the modern left-leaning ivory tower and a pining for the traditional liberal arts approach are both common themes among those sorts of conservatives.
    I see what you're saying and this point got me thinking about different "brands" of conservatives. By definition, we would think that "conservatives" in general would be interested in more traditional approaches, both in curriculum and in the makeup of university faculty and administration (which hasn't always been as overwhelmingly left-leaning), but apparently, some are less interested in these considerations than others.

Similar Threads

  1. Help! I need a 1 year accelerated Masters degree in any liberal arts program.
    By SophiaNeedsADegree in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 07:57 AM
  3. Liberal Arts
    By patmonahan in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
  4. What I Need to Know and How the Liberal Arts Can Help Me Know It
    By Charles in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 08:04 AM
  5. Liberal Arts and Non-Liberal Arts
    By Tarbuza in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2001, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15