+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Libya

  1. #1
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,148
    Blog Entries
    1

    Libya

    The U.S. has finally made a decision on what to do, and the winning action is... no-fly zone. It is being enforced by a coalition of some of the nations that have been talking about it for several days (ie the most vocal supporter, France). Some fire has already been let loose.

    U.S. launches missile strike in Libya - USATODAY.com

    U.S. says five-nation coalition launching Libya strikes | Reuters

    By the way, I am losing count. There are uprisings and/or major protests in Egypt, Tunisia, Côte D'ivore, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, now Libya. I count six, but I have a feeling that I must be missing something.
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  2. #2
    truckie270 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,006
    Don't forget Wisconsin......
    <2> - RLTW
    DPA - Valdosta State University

  3. #3
    airtorn is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    The U.N. has finally made a decision on what to do...
    A minor edit...

    It is a UN decision, not a US decision. The difference is huge.

  4. #4
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,148
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by airtorn View Post
    A minor edit...

    It is a UN decision, not a US decision. The difference is huge.
    From what I have read so far, this is not a UN action. Of course, I don't have all the facts; most of what I have read can be found in those two articles above. If I stand corrected, can you post a link? Thanks.
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  5. #5
    airtorn is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    From what I have read so far, this is not a UN action. Of course, I don't have all the facts; most of what I have read can be found in those two articles above. If I stand corrected, can you post a link? Thanks.
    Security Council Approves ‘No-Fly Zone’ over Libya, Authorizing ‘All Necessary Measures’ to Protect Civilians, by Vote of 10 in Favour with 5 Abstentions

    The UN Security Council approved Resolution 1973 on March 17th.

    Additionally, the French saw the first action with reconnaissance flights over the country as well as eliminating one of Libya's tanks.

  6. #6
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,148
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by airtorn View Post
    Security Council Approves ‘No-Fly Zone’ over Libya, Authorizing ‘All Necessary Measures’ to Protect Civilians, by Vote of 10 in Favour with 5 Abstentions

    The UN Security Council approved Resolution 1973 on March 17th.

    Additionally, the French saw the first action with reconnaissance flights over the country as well as eliminating one of Libya's tanks.
    Wow, a link directly to the UN's Resolution. Isn't it amazing that in our day and age, learning about something 3 days after it happens makes you the last person to know? lol.
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  7. #7
    airtorn is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    Wow, a link directly to the UN's Resolution. Isn't it amazing that in our day and age, learning about something 3 days after it happens makes you the last person to know? lol.
    Google is your friend.

    I don't we managed without it.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,148
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    By the way, I am losing count. There are uprisings and/or major protests in Egypt, Tunisia, Côte D'ivore, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, now Libya. I count six, but I have a feeling that I must be missing something.
    Well, of course, I forgot Yemen

    Quote Originally Posted by airtorn View Post
    Google is your friend.
    No. Big Google is watching you.
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  10. #9
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    13,356
    Quote Originally Posted by truckie270 View Post
    Don't forget Wisconsin......
    ... and Ohio
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

Similar Threads

  1. In Libya its another story!
    By LDLA in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 01:47 PM
  2. Bush and Libya
    By in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 02:34 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15