+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,883

    Jack-donkey award

    At work today (day 2 for me) I meet one of the doctors. He asks me if I know "John Doe" from my previous job. I ask, "he's a PhD right? It's Dr. Doe?" To which he replies (with my hand on a bible I swear this is a quote)
    "Of course he's a doctor. I don't have any friends who are bachelor's prepared" *when you read this to yourself, emphasize the word "bachelor's" with some growly- flem in your throat.

    Welcome to my new job.

    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  2. #2
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,445
    You should feel honored that he condescended to speak to you. (sarcastic statement) It's funny how so many doctors develop "god" complexes. They feel they are a higher level of human being than others are. My mother-in-law was a head nurse in Canada for her whole career and she tells some amazing stories of how big of jerks many of the doctors were.

  3. #3
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,144
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfDoctor View Post
    You should feel honored that he condescended to speak to you. (sarcastic statement) It's funny how so many doctors develop "god" complexes. They feel they are a higher level of human being than others are. My mother-in-law was a head nurse in Canada for her whole career and she tells some amazing stories of how big of jerks many of the doctors were.
    I had one hispanic doctor with an accent so horrible, he might as well have been speaking Arabic to me. When I kept asking him to repeat himself, he smuggly asked me if I spoke English. Then added insult to injury by trying to speak Spanish with me (this was years before I could speak Spanish).

    Oh, and don't get me started on the doctors that worked on my dislocated elbow...

    Doctor 1: Have you ever done this before?
    Doctor 2: No. Have you?
    Doctor 1: No. You wanna go for it?
    Doctor 2: Uh... yeah ok, why not?
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  4. #4
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    I had one hispanic doctor with an accent so horrible, he might as well have been speaking Arabic to me. When I kept asking him to repeat himself, he smuggly asked me if I spoke English. Then added insult to injury by trying to speak Spanish with me (this was years before I could speak Spanish).

    Oh, and don't get me started on the doctors that worked on my dislocated elbow...

    Doctor 1: Have you ever done this before?
    Doctor 2: No. Have you?
    Doctor 1: No. You wanna go for it?
    Doctor 2: Uh... yeah ok, why not?
    Yikes! doesn't inspire confidence when he is about to yank your shoulder, does it?

  5. #5
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,144
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfDoctor View Post
    Yikes! doesn't inspire confidence when he is about to yank your shoulder, does it?
    At least they didn't redislocate it... like the inept x-ray technician
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  6. #6
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfDoctor View Post
    You should feel honored that he condescended to speak to you. (sarcastic statement) It's funny how so many doctors develop "god" complexes. They feel they are a higher level of human being than others are. My mother-in-law was a head nurse in Canada for her whole career and she tells some amazing stories of how big of jerks many of the doctors were.
    Yeah, I think I work with him lol. There is a doctor in our hospital that has a license plate "DR GOD" I'll have to snap a photo.
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  7. #7
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    Yeah, I think I work with him lol. There is a doctor in our hospital that has a license plate "DR GOD" I'll have to snap a photo.
    I would love to see that.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,144
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    Yeah, I think I work with him lol. There is a doctor in our hospital that has a license plate "DR GOD" I'll have to snap a photo.
    So, is he a god among doctors or a doctor among gods?
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  10. #9
    friendly is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5
    This behavior isn't limited to people with higher order degrees. I've gotten this kind of treatment at Best Buy and Jiffylube from people who can scarcely claim to have a skill.
    [url=http://www.postrandomonium.com]Funny Facebook Statuses[/url]

  11. #10
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by friendly View Post
    This behavior isn't limited to people with higher order degrees. I've gotten this kind of treatment at Best Buy and Jiffylube from people who can scarcely claim to have a skill.
    :) we need a "like" button
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  12. #11
    Lindagerr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western NJ, USA
    Posts
    106
    Dr's have gotten better. 30+ years ago when I was in nursing school we had lessons on how to talk to Drs and how to be self effacing when questioning a stupid or dangerous order. These days not every Dr is an A$$. Maybe that is because more Drs are women. LOL

    So Jennifer do you still hate the job? Remember these days nurses do more of the paperwork and less of the patient interaction. That is one of the reasons I didn't go into nursing when I went back to school.
    Linda
    AA General Studies TESC '08
    BA Natural Science & Mathematics TESC Sept '10
    BA History TESC begun or maybe
    MAT Elementary Education at WGU??? Applied 11/26/10

  13. #12
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    6,144
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    :) we need a "like" button
    I campaigned for Chip to find a way to add a *thumbs up* button. Maybe if we all scream loud enough it can happen one day!
    BA, Social Sciences ---- The University Formerly Known As Thomas Edison State College

    "If you aren't going to use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken?"

    - Kevin McCallister (portrayed by Macaulay Culkin), Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

  14. #13
    John Bear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The bluest city in the bluest state
    Posts
    6,209
    Does the visiting Chinese head of state have honorary doctorates yet? Is he . . . DOCTOR HU?

  15. #14
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindagerr View Post
    Dr's have gotten better. 30+ years ago when I was in nursing school we had lessons on how to talk to Drs and how to be self effacing when questioning a stupid or dangerous order. These days not every Dr is an A$$.
    Yeah, it's funny because I have a friend who is a well known plastic surgeon. He laughs and jokes around with the office cleaners, and treats everyone equally nice. I guess that is why I like him.

    When I go see my personal doc, I have learned to question them, and I ask for extra tests or whatever I think I need even if it costs more. My HMO doc is really good at hearing me out, and granting my requests.

    I can't believe what the doc said to Jennifer though, what an arse.


    Abner
    XVI.8: Confucius said, "There are three things of which the superior man stand in awe. He stands in awe of the ordinances of Heaven. He stands in awe of great men. He stands in awe of the words of the sages. The mean man does not know the ordinances of Heaven, and consequently does not stand in awe of them. He is disrespectful to great men. He makes sport of the words of the sages."

  16. Advertisement

Similar Threads

  1. Jack Welch Launches Online MBA
    By FutureDBA in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 07:18 AM
  2. The Jack Welch MBA -
    By mbaonline in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
  3. SA Doctorate, Q for Jack/Others who have gone this route
    By buckwheat3 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 02:30 AM
  4. Out of a Cracker Jack box?
    By uxu in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2001, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15