+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23
  1. #1
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097

    EMT-B(asic) via Distance/Online

    Long story short, my sister is interested in a program like this (if they even legitimately exist). I know that you MUST (slight joke about that stupid fake school) check with your state EMT registry to validate reciprocity regulations, and must also make sure the cert will allow you to sit for the NREMT cert. Here's what I've found so far:

    EMT B Course - NREMT Approved EMT B Classes Online

    Online EMT Basic Course from PERCOM. Information on Online EMT B Classes

    EMT Training, Online Certification, How To Become An EMT, School

    Most of these schools have you complete the coursework and then you travel to their site for the hands on training. Once that is done, you register for the NREMT, then register with your state EMT board. All of this sounds somewhat painless right? I just have concerns about how prepared you actually become with distance learning and an accelerated hands on program. All three of these schools look great, but I have no first hand knowledge to help her make a judgement call.

    DL (with the hands on accelerated) is also her only real option without getting into specifics. I would imagine she would have to check with her local hospitals/EMT services to see if they would allow her to complete clinicals/ride alongs? This is a topic that I am completely unfamiliar with and I'm posting here in hopes some of you may be able to offer some advice. As always, thanks!
    Last edited by soupbone; 04-22-2012 at 02:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Julie1014 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    187
    Soupbone, I am trying to do some research for you regarding EMT distance learning. The websites you provided look good, but I am not familiar with EMT distance learning. I didn't even know they offered it. I was an EMT from 1988-1999. I called my local ambulance company, and attended a 4 month RIGOROUS course with constant hands-on training. I can't imagine doing this through online learning. However, I see that training is provided at the sites you mentioned.

    Just be very careful and make sure that each of these programs are definitely recognized by the NREMT, and the state she lives in recognizes the school. And, yes, she should place a phone call to the nearest hospital/ambulance to see if she if she can shadow them.

    I know I'm not being much of a help, I just have never heard of becoming an EMT via distance ed. It is such a "hands-on" training.....

    Good luck to her, and keep us posted!

    EMTs and Paramedics : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (EMT education info)

    NREMT - Become Involved as an EMS Professional
    AAS Occupational Therapy 1990, Harcum College
    Diploma LPN 1994, Sullivan County Community College
    Starting FHSU June 2012! (bachelor general studies)

  3. #3
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
    Long story short, my sister is interested in a program like this (if they even legitimately exist). I know that you MUST (slight joke about that stupid fake school) check with your state EMT registry to validate reciprocity regulations, and must also make sure the cert will allow you to sit for the NREMT cert. Here's what I've found so far:

    EMT B Course - NREMT Approved EMT B Classes Online

    Online EMT Basic Course from PERCOM. Information on Online EMT B Classes

    EMT Training, Online Certification, How To Become An EMT, School

    Most of these schools have you complete the coursework and then you travel to their site for the hands on training. Once that is done, you register for the NREMT, then register with your state EMT board. All of this sounds somewhat painless right? I just have concerns about how prepared you actually become with distance learning and an accelerated hands on program. All three of these schools look great, but I have no first hand knowledge to help her make a judgement call.

    DL (with the hands on accelerated) is also her only real option without getting into specifics. I would imagine she would have to check with her local hospitals/EMT services to see if they would allow her to complete clinicals/ride alongs? This is a topic that I am completely unfamiliar with and I'm posting here in hopes some of you may be able to offer some advice. As always, thanks!
    MUST you bring up that school again?
    "If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so angry?" Shannon Wheeler

  4. #4
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie1014 View Post
    Soupbone, I am trying to do some research for you regarding EMT distance learning. The websites you provided look good, but I am not familiar with EMT distance learning. I didn't even know they offered it. I was an EMT from 1988-1999. I called my local ambulance company, and attended a 4 month RIGOROUS course with constant hands-on training. I can't imagine doing this through online learning. However, I see that training is provided at the sites you mentioned.

    Just be very careful and make sure that each of these programs are definitely recognized by the NREMT, and the state she lives in recognizes the school. And, yes, she should place a phone call to the nearest hospital/ambulance to see if she if she can shadow them.

    I know I'm not being much of a help, I just have never heard of becoming an EMT via distance ed. It is such a "hands-on" training.....

    Good luck to her, and keep us posted!

    EMTs and Paramedics : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (EMT education info)

    NREMT - Become Involved as an EMS Professional
    This is what concerns me. Most medical type career paths require a hefty clinical component from EMT all the way to MDs. The schools look legit, but I want to make sure before she spends that kind of money. I wish she could attend a local EMT program through a fire department/ambulance company, but it really isn't possible. If any of these programs would do well in preparing her to sit for the NREMT test, I would tell her to go for it and not to look back. She is a very smart, self motivated type person, but traditional school isn't an option right now.

  5. #5
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfDoctor View Post
    MUST you bring up that school again?
    I figured it would draw out at least one response!

  6. #6
    rebel100 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,164
    Im a Paramedic/EMT. I am also a strong advocate for distance education . I really don't think these: distance learning and EMT go together...there is just too much learned hands on over time.

    Can they deliver the curricula this way...yep.
    Does it matter.....only to your patients.

    If she does it anyway...at least get in with a strong volunteer ambulance company or Volly Fire Dept and get some hands on experience.
    MBA at Western Governors University
    BS Charter Oak State College
    AS EMS Valencia Community College

  7. #7
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel100 View Post
    Im a Paramedic/EMT. I am also a strong advocate for distance education . I really don't think these: distance learning and EMT go together...there is just too much learned hands on over time.

    Can they deliver the curricula this way...yep.
    Does it matter.....only to your patients.

    If she does it anyway...at least get in with a strong volunteer ambulance company or Volly Fire Dept and get some hands on experience.
    No doubt this is what I would suggest, but I'm wanting to know if the schoolwork is possible and legit through DL. There's no way she could simply take the coursework, then continue without shadowing and other hands-on type experience following completion of the coursework. Those schools appear to have been around a while so they must be doing something right, right? Thanks so far for the responses everyone!

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Psydoc is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    233
    Speaking as an EMT-Basic/Driver, the course work should not be a problem via the D/L route. I took the program in a B&M setting but have had a lot of exposure to D/L learning and can see the possibilities of EMT studies via D/L. The clinicals get tricky, as has been mentioned, there must exist a hospital and/or ambulance service which is willing to allow you to intern so you may learn the clinical part. If there is an intensive clinical component after the didactic part, I think it can be accomplished. The Para-medic part I am not so sure about. My best wishes.

  10. #9
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,849
    Just to toss in one consideration, I'd check that she earns college credit for her Basic and that it's through an RA source. Reason being, when she wants to earn more than minimum wage and tries to enroll in a Paramedic program, they will require the credit from her Basic, and if she doesn't have any she might have to repeat.
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  11. #10
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Psydoc View Post
    Speaking as an EMT-Basic/Driver, the course work should not be a problem via the D/L route. I took the program in a B&M setting but have had a lot of exposure to D/L learning and can see the possibilities of EMT studies via D/L. The clinicals get tricky, as has been mentioned, there must exist a hospital and/or ambulance service which is willing to allow you to intern so you may learn the clinical part. If there is an intensive clinical component after the didactic part, I think it can be accomplished. The Para-medic part I am not so sure about. My best wishes.
    Thanks Psydoc, that offers me some encouragement. When she initially asked me, it's something I simply have not heard or read about. At one point, I had considered the EMT->Paramedic->RN route, but never considered a DL route to it. Before she makes a big jump, I'll make sure she calls these agencies up and speaks to their reps.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    Just to toss in one consideration, I'd check that she earns college credit for her Basic and that it's through an RA source. Reason being, when she wants to earn more than minimum wage and tries to enroll in a Paramedic program, they will require the credit from her Basic, and if she doesn't have any she might have to repeat.
    Thanks Jennifer! I think one or two of the schools are partnered with a local community college, so as long as it's RA, she should be fine. Thanks for bringing that up. She really wants to do this, but again DL is really her only option for the courses. She needs a full time income, so B&M just isn't going to cut it. For her clinicals/ride alongs/shadowing, she will have to find the time on the weekends, evenings, etc.

    Oh and one more thing if you guys can give an opinion. One of the sites offers a DL school comparison. Worth taking a look at if you guys want to give some opinions.

    http://www.emtfiretraining.com/emt-c...comparison.php
    Last edited by soupbone; 04-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.

  12. #11
    Randell1234 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,768
    Quote Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
    Thanks Psydoc, that offers me some encouragement. When she initially asked me, it's something I simply have not heard or read about. At one point, I had considered the EMT->Paramedic->RN route, but never considered a DL route to it. Before she makes a big jump, I'll make sure she calls these agencies up and speaks to their reps.



    Thanks Jennifer! I think one or two of the schools are partnered with a local community college, so as long as it's RA, she should be fine. Thanks for bringing that up. She really wants to do this, but again DL is really her only option for the courses. She needs a full time income, so B&M just isn't going to cut it. For her clinicals/ride alongs/shadowing, she will have to find the time on the weekends, evenings, etc.

    Oh and one more thing if you guys can give an opinion. One of the sites offers a DL school comparison. Worth taking a look at if you guys want to give some opinions.

    EMT School Comparison, Online EMT Training Course Summary

    There is a local school that offers a DL portion of the work for an LPN program so I know it is possible. I think it is really geared toward local residences that want a flexible option. With that said, nothing is impossible or without options -

    Distance Education : pTEC offers the Practical Nursing program in an online format. The online program is exactly like the traditional on-site program with two exceptions: (1) The 675-hour academic theory part of the program is delivered via computer as opposed to having face-to-face classroom instruction and, (2) The remaining 675 clinical hours are scheduled as much as possible on week-ends and evenings at various locations throughout the county. The clinical and lab hours are spread throughout the 15 month program with the majority occurring in the second half of the program. The pTEC Practical Nursing program is unable to accommodate students who want to complete hours at clinical sites other than those approved for use locally.


  13. #12
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    Just to toss in one consideration, I'd check that she earns college credit for her Basic and that it's through an RA source. Reason being, when she wants to earn more than minimum wage and tries to enroll in a Paramedic program, they will require the credit from her Basic, and if she doesn't have any she might have to repeat.
    I sent one of the schools an email asking about this and received a very quick response. The rep said that they are not affiliated with any CCs, but that most Paramedic programs allow entry if a basic EMT license (through the NREMT) is possessed by the applicant. He said that you should check with the school that you are interested in attending, but that most paramedic programs accept the license as part of the entry requirements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randell1234 View Post
    There is a local school that offers a DL portion of the work for an LPN program so I know it is possible. I think it is really geared toward local residences that want a flexible option. With that said, nothing is impossible or without options -

    Distance Education : pTEC offers the Practical Nursing program in an online format. The online program is exactly like the traditional on-site program with two exceptions: (1) The 675-hour academic theory part of the program is delivered via computer as opposed to having face-to-face classroom instruction and, (2) The remaining 675 clinical hours are scheduled as much as possible on week-ends and evenings at various locations throughout the county. The clinical and lab hours are spread throughout the 15 month program with the majority occurring in the second half of the program. The pTEC Practical Nursing program is unable to accommodate students who want to complete hours at clinical sites other than those approved for use locally.

    I think the issues of ride-alongs would be easily resolved if you speak to the hospital/EMT company about riding. Wouldn't it be like becoming a reserve deputy with a sheriff's office after attending the basic police academy? It sounds pretty similar.

  14. #13
    rebel100 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,164
    There is no doubt that it's possible to teach the didactic portions online. The basic level really is just that...basic. I wonder what they do if someone shows up for the practicals and cant quite get the concept of a standing backboard take-down, when to apply MAST trousers, or how the scoop stretcher works. Having taught EMT Labs I can tell you that some students could probably learn the whole thing from a book, others require many extra hours of hands on training.

    How receptive are the local employers to hiring an online trained EMT? Around here...to some degree...most agencies sort of pick from specific schools. Not to say one cannot be hired when trained this way...but the local climate dictates it to some extent. Do you live in an area underserved by EMT's? If so it might be easy to find a job. In my area I think an online trained EMT would be a tough sell.

    I'm really not trying to be discouraging...but this one requires some real homework and personal determination.
    MBA at Western Governors University
    BS Charter Oak State College
    AS EMS Valencia Community College

  15. #14
    rebel100 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,164
    If you have the EMT-B it suffices for that portion of the requirement to enter medic school...they may also require at least 1year of experience and advanced A&P.

    The ride time they require must include patient care, there are liability factors at play. This can be much, much more difficult than it seems.
    Last edited by rebel100; 04-22-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    MBA at Western Governors University
    BS Charter Oak State College
    AS EMS Valencia Community College

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel100 View Post
    There is no doubt that it's possible to teach the didactic portions online. The basic level really is just that...basic. I wonder what they do if someone shows up for the practicals and cant quite get the concept of a standing backboard take-down, when to apply MAST trousers, or how the scoop stretcher works. Having taught EMT Labs I can tell you that some students could probably learn the whole thing from a book, others require many extra hours of hands on training.

    How receptive are the local employers to hiring an online trained EMT? Around here...to some degree...most agencies sort of pick from specific schools. Not to say one cannot be hired when trained this way...but the local climate dictates it to some extent. Do you live in an area underserved by EMT's? If so it might be easy to find a job. In my area I think an online trained EMT would be a tough sell.

    I'm really not trying to be discouraging...but this one requires some real homework and personal determination.
    I know a few people in the field that would be willing to help her get her foot in the door. This doesn't mean it's 100% though. She does live in an under-served area as well and another city located close that is also needing EMTs. Personal determination is not a problem, which is why I wish she could go to a B&M program locally, but when you need a full time income, you need a full time income. If these programs are legit and she can get started with a job afterward, I think the transition to Paramedic would be a lot easier. It's getting over that hump of starting that is going to be tough. Thanks again for your thoughts.

  18. #16
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel100 View Post
    If you have the EMT-B it suffices for that portion of the requirement to enter medic school...they may also require at least 1year of experience and advanced A&P.

    The ride time they require must include patient care, there are liability factors at play. This can be much, much more difficult than it seems.
    According to this program, EMT School Comparison, Online EMT Training Course Summary , they provide the ride along insurance. What this means specifically i don't really know. It would be something she would have to ask about. In the state she lives in, she would need 9 months of full time experience to qualify for paramedic school. Thanks again. I am learning more and more as we continue to discuss this.

Similar Threads

  1. Online/Distance/Executive PhD or DBA
    By k0s420 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 10:03 AM
  2. adult ed / online - distance ed
    By scubasteveiu in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 09:24 PM
  3. Online ~ Distance Learning JD/MBA ?
    By strangeone in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 06:22 AM
  4. Online/Distance MBAs
    By agilham in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 03:12 PM
  5. Looking for distance or online psych school for one course
    By in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2001, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197