+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    fdfsd is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    Online college accepting most graduate credit in psychology

    I have about 39 credit hours in psychology coursework completed at an accredited online school of psychology . However, I am bracing for the possibility that I may have to transfer some of it to another school. The reason is because I am worried about passing the comprehensive exam process. I only get a couple tries and I failed one of them because I submitted it late thinking it was due at midnight instead of noon. I believe I will pass the next time around, but people do fail out this process. I just got an email from a student that failed all attempts.

    Anyway, my question is this. Is there any online program that will take in the maximum (I think it is 50% if I am not mistaken) for graduate credits?
    I am open to any discipline as long as it accepts the credit.
    I am open to any school as long as it has some sort of accreditation and not a diploma mill. My only goal is to make sure that all this time and money is not wasted.

  2. #2
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by fdfsd View Post
    I have about 39 credit hours in psychology coursework completed at an accredited online school of psychology . However, I am bracing for the possibility that I may have to transfer some of it to another school. The reason is because I am worried about passing the comprehensive exam process. I only get a couple tries and I failed one of them because I submitted it late thinking it was due at midnight instead of noon. I believe I will pass the next time around, but people do fail out this process. I just got an email from a student that failed all attempts.

    Anyway, my question is this. Is there any online program that will take in the maximum (I think it is 50% if I am not mistaken) for graduate credits?
    I am open to any discipline as long as it accepts the credit.
    I am open to any school as long as it has some sort of accreditation and not a diploma mill. My only goal is to make sure that all this time and money is not wasted.

    50% seriously? The question of graduate credit transfer has been tossed around here from time to time, you should do an archive search, but I thought the leader in grad transfer credit was American Public University System - Official Site They cap out at 15 credits perfectly aligned credits. They will also require either a thesis, comps, or capstone.

    APUS has both national and regional accreditation, but I don't think they have the industry's psychology accreditation (sorry, drawing a blank on which one that is). FWIW, neither does Harvard lol.

    I don't see an easy way to make this happen. If you don't pass your comps, it's going to be time and money wasted. Fingers crossed for you.
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  3. #3
    AdjunctInstructor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    236
    Aspen University will consider 18 credits for the M.A. and M.Ed. They are DETC (nationally accredited).

  4. #4
    japhy4529 is offline House Bassist
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    50% seriously? The question of graduate credit transfer has been tossed around here from time to time, you should do an archive search, but I thought the leader in grad transfer credit was American Public University System - Official Site They cap out at 15 credits perfectly aligned credits. They will also require either a thesis, comps, or capstone.


    APUS has both national and regional accreditation, but I don't think they have the industry's psychology accreditation (sorry, drawing a blank on which one that is). FWIW, neither does Harvard lol.

    I don't see an easy way to make this happen. If you don't pass your comps, it's going to be time and money wasted. Fingers crossed for you.
    The American Psychological Association (APA) accredits "Doctoral graduate programs in clinical, counseling , and school psychology , and programs offering combinations of two or more of these areas." About APA Accreditation They do not accredit Masters level programs. So, for Masters programs in psychology , regional/national accreditation is the key criteria in determining legitimacy.

    As Jennifer mentioned, APU/AMU will allow one to transfer up to 15 graduate credits. As it happens, they recently began offering an online MA in Psychology. The program is 39 credits and a capstone is required (although, I don't believe that they require a comprehensive exam).
    Tom
    B.S., Behavioral Science - Bellevue University 2010
    A.S., Liberal Studies - Excelsior College 2009

  5. #5
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    13,352
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    I don't think they have the industry's psychology accreditation (sorry, drawing a blank on which one that is).
    American Psychological Association?
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

  6. #6
    fdfsd is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    I don't really care if it is APA supported, I will never be a psychologist , MFT, or counselor of any type. Just concerned about credits really. Even if they are for a minor, specialization, liberal arts, or self-designed that is ok.

    Fields that I am interested in are management, MBA , psychology , I/O psychology , organizational management , leadership, and development. So if there is a like program that I can transfer 12-15 credits of psychology into, that would be the prize.

    I am looking into some of the programs you listed so far, thanks.

  7. #7
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by fdfsd View Post
    I don't really care if it is APA supported, I will never be a psychologist , MFT, or counselor of any type. Just concerned about credits really. Even if they are for a minor, specialization, liberal arts, or self-designed that is ok.

    Fields that I am interested in are management, MBA , psychology , I/O psychology , organizational management , leadership, and development. So if there is a like program that I can transfer 12-15 credits of psychology into, that would be the prize.

    I am looking into some of the programs you listed so far, thanks.
    What school are you currently attending?

    Excelsior College is among the most liberal in accepting transfer credits and probably has a program that might interest you. I'm not sure if even they would accept that much credit, but they might. You would have to contact them.
    "If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so angry?" Shannon Wheeler

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,882
    I guess it's just me, but I'm blown away that this is not a more serious situation for the OP. OP is at an online school, so can we say she/he is paying $500ish? So at 39 credits plus fees she/he is about 20 grand in, maybe closer to 35 grand if we are talking about one of the big for-profits like UoP . Factor in starting back at 15 credits and finishing up another 24 at APUS is at least another ten grand and 8-10 more classes?!? The tone of the post floors me, I'm not 100% sure this is the whole truth and nuthin' but the truth.
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  10. #9
    Abner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    7,604
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    I guess it's just me, but I'm blown away that this is not a more serious situation for the OP. OP is at an online school, so can we say she/he is paying $500ish? So at 39 credits plus fees she/he is about 20 grand in, maybe closer to 35 grand if we are talking about one of the big for-profits like UoP. Factor in starting back at 15 credits and finishing up another 24 at APUS is at least another ten grand and 8-10 more classes?!? The tone of the post floors me, I'm not 100% sure this is the whole truth and nuthin' but the truth.
    That's what I was thinking.


    Abner
    XVI.8: Confucius said, "There are three things of which the superior man stand in awe. He stands in awe of the ordinances of Heaven. He stands in awe of great men. He stands in awe of the words of the sages. The mean man does not know the ordinances of Heaven, and consequently does not stand in awe of them. He is disrespectful to great men. He makes sport of the words of the sages."

  11. #10
    fdfsd is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    I guess it's just me, but I'm blown away that this is not a more serious situation for the OP.
    If the OP was not serious this thread would not be here. Besides, I still have a shot at passing this exam. The information from this thread helps in the event that I don't.

  12. #11
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by fdfsd View Post
    If the OP was not serious this thread would not be here. Besides, I still have a shot at passing this exam. The information from this thread helps in the event that I don't.
    Glad it helps, good luck on your comps.
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  13. #12
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by fdfsd View Post
    If the OP was not serious this thread would not be here. Besides, I still have a shot at passing this exam. The information from this thread helps in the event that I don't.
    It would sure be easier if you could pass. It would be worth finding others who have passed and asking them to help you study, going to teachers and asking for help and anything else you could do. Transferring everything to another school, if it's even possible, would be a huge undertaking.
    "If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so angry?" Shannon Wheeler

Similar Threads

  1. VA Student Looking into Online Graduate Psychology Degrees
    By jghanks in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
  2. What is up graduate schools accepting transfer credit?
    By davesaint in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
  3. RA Schools Accepting NA Credit
    By TCord1964 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
  4. Online Graduate Level Psychology Courses
    By Bruce in forum Nursing and medical-related degrees
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 04:47 PM
  5. COSC Accepting ACE Credit Evaluations
    By plumbdog10 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15