+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 31
  1. #1
    Gus Sainz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    1,738

    Exclamation MIGS Operating Illegally in Texas

    This Monday, by means of an administrative decision, the Commissioner of Higher Education of the State of Texas found MIGS and degree.com to be operating illegally in State of Texas, in violation of the Texas Education Code. It was determined that MIGS and degree.com did not have the appropriate certificate of authority to call themselves a university or grant degrees.

    MIGS and degree.com have been levied an administrative penalty of $5,000 for each of the 42 counts of offering a degree (one for each degree MIGS is offering), and $3,000.00 for the count of calling itself a university, for a grand total of $230,000.00.

    MIGS and Degree.com were deemed to have an office in the State of Texas, from which they were soliciting business and offering to grant degrees. (These facts were considered to indisputable due to the allegations in a suit filed by Mr. Enrique Serna (attorney for, and one of the owners of MIGS) on behalf of MIGS and degree.com against Dr. Steve Levicoff.) MIGS and degree.com were offered an opportunity to remedy said violations (and avoid administrative penalties) by ceasing to call themselves a university, desisting from offering degrees, and refunding all tuitions paid to their students. Mr. Serna countered with partial remedies, such as offering to only to refund the tuition to the 4 students mentioned is MIGS’s lawsuit against Dr. Levicoff. The partial remedies offered were unacceptable to the State of Texas.

    MIGS can, of course, as is the case with all administrative decisions, appeal. However, because the facts in this case have already been stipulated by MIGS in their lawsuit against Dr. Levicoff, they probably have little chance of success. Moreover, if MIGS does not abide by the decision of the Texas Commission on Higher Education , or if they choose to appeal, more than likely the Commission will seek an injunction through the Texas Attorney General.


    Gus Sainz
    Gus Sainz
    DegreeDiscussion.com

  2. #2
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356

    Post

    Originally posted by Gus Sainz:
    This Monday, by means of an administrative decision, the Commissioner of Higher Education of the State of Texas found MIGS and degree.com to be operating illegally in State of Texas, in violation of the Texas Education Code. It was determined that MIGS and degree.com did not have the appropriate certificate of authority to call themselves a university or grant degrees.

    MIGS and degree.com have been levied an administrative penalty of $5,000 for each of the 42 counts of offering a degree (one for each degree MIGS is offering), and $3,000.00 for the count of calling itself a university, for a grand total of $230,000.00.

    MIGS and Degree.com were deemed to have an office in the State of Texas, from which they were soliciting business and offering to grant degrees. (These facts were considered to indisputable due to the allegations in a suit filed by Mr. Enrique Serna (attorney for, and one of the owners of MIGS) on behalf of MIGS and degree.com against Dr. Steve Levicoff.) MIGS and degree.com were offered an opportunity to remedy said violations (and avoid administrative penalties) by ceasing to call themselves a university, desisting from offering degrees, and refunding all tuitions paid to their students. Mr. Serna countered with partial remedies, such as offering to only to refund the tuition to the 4 students mentioned is MIGS’s lawsuit against Dr. Levicoff. The partial remedies offered were unacceptable to the State of Texas.

    MIGS can, of course, as is the case with all administrative decisions, appeal. However, because the facts in this case have already been stipulated by MIGS in their lawsuit against Dr. Levicoff, they probably have little chance of success. Moreover, if MIGS does not abide by the decision of the Texas Commission on Higher Education , or if they choose to appeal, more than likely the Commission will seek an injunction through the Texas Attorney General.


    Gus Sainz
    Interesting and disturbing. How did you hear of this, and where might we go to read about it ourselves?

    Rich Douglas


  3. #3
    Gus Sainz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    1,738

    Post

    Originally posted by Rich Douglas:
    Interesting and disturbing. How did you hear of this, and where might we go to read about it ourselves?

    Rich Douglas

    Unfortunately, currently there isn’t a Web site that I can refer you to where you might read this information. In fact, the letter notifying MIGS of the administrative decision was only mailed this Monday, and it is quite possible that the owners of MIGS are first finding out about the decision (although it probably was expected) here, by means of this forum. (And we do know they lurk here, don’t we?)

    All the information I posted is a matter of public record relayed to me in a private communication with a highly placed source within the Texas Commission of Higher Education in Austin, Texas. Until the information is actually transcribed and posted somewhere (could be a matter of months), I felt it would be best if I did not publicly reveal his or her name. This is simply to prevent my source from being deluged with requests for information. I will, however, Rich, privately email you the name and title of the individual.


    Gus Sainz
    Gus Sainz
    DegreeDiscussion.com

  4. #4
    Bill Huffman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Posts
    4,394

    Post

    Originally posted by Gus Sainz:
    This is a most ironic development. I always assumed that Mr. Serna was being flexible with the truth when he claimed to operate out of Texas. I had assumed that he had said that to make filing the suit easier. Since it appeared totally frivolous, he probably knew that there was no chance that MIGS would pursue the suit. However being a lawyer, Mr. Serna should have known that the law seems to frown on lies and dishonesty.

    It appears that MIGS was such a mess that they will likely never get their act cleaned up.

  5. #5
    PSalmon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    184

    Post

    Originally posted by Gaas Sainz:
    ... These facts were considered to indisputable due to the allegations in a suit filed by Mr. Enrique Serna (attorney for, and one of the owners of MIGS) on behalf of MIGS and degree.com against Dr. Steve Levicoff. ...
    Steve must, in his words, be "laughing his ass off."

  6. #6
    Bruce is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,530

    Post

    It's more than a bit ironic and also funny as hell that they've been hoisted on their own petard...the Levicoff lawsuit.


    Bruce
    --
    Bruce Tait
    A.S. (Criminal Justice) Quincy College
    B.A. (Criminal Justice) Curry College
    M.A. (Criminal Justice) University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    M.A. (Forensic & Counseling Psychology) Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
    Certificate (Investigative Psychology) CUNY-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

    MOOC's
    Certificate (Disability Awareness and Support in Higher Education) University of Pittsburgh
    Certificate (International Criminal Law) Case Western Reserve University
    Certificate (Psychology of Criminal Justice) University of Queensland
    Certificate (Classical Sociological Theory) University of Amsterdam



    RA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/16/08

    NA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/20/08

  7. #7
    Chip is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,316

    Post

    Originally posted by Bruce:
    It's more than a bit ironic and also funny as hell that they've been hoisted on their own petard...the Levicoff lawsuit.
    This thread is one of the few on degreeinfo that has caused me to laugh out loud. IMHO, this is probably one of the most classic cases of attorney ineptitude I've ever seen... and surely enough to have the esteemed Mr. Serna granted the "left foot of fellowship" as Levicoff calls it, by the MIGS board.

    If ever there was a case of a horrible backfire, this is it:

    Upon filing the suit against Levicoff, Serna essentially said:

    "Yes, your honor, we're doing business in Texas, we always have, these four students showed up here in my office, so we certainly have the right to file against Dr. Levicoff here."

    Upon receiving the findings from the Commissioner, the response would have to be something like:

    "Well, aaahhh, um, Your Honor, you see, we, ah, well... the fact is, um, our offices in Texas never really were, um..."

    Particularly delightful is the point that since MIGS has stipulated in the Levicoff lawsuit that they're doing business in Texas, they have essentially no means to now claim they're *not* doing business in Texas.

    Sometimes, karmic adjustments come about pretty quickly.


  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Kristin Evenson Hirst is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    550

    Post

    Gus, this is fascinating. I'd like to follow up on this with an article -- could you email me at distancelearn.guide@about.com ?

    ------------------
    Kristin Evenson Hirst
    DistanceLearn.About.com
    Kristin Evenson Hirst

  10. #9
    Bill Huffman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Posts
    4,394

    Post

    Originally posted by Chip:
    This thread is one of the few on degreeinfo that has caused me to laugh out loud. IMHO, this is probably one of the most classic cases of attorney ineptitude I've ever seen... and surely enough to have the esteemed Mr. Serna granted the "left foot of fellowship" as Levicoff calls it, by the MIGS board.
    I really can't decide who is the most amusing member of the MIGS crew. The lawyer that is supposed to threaten to sue people for saying things that the MIGS crew doesn't want to hear and is supposed to keep MIGS on the straight and narrow legally. What he actually does is get them in deep legal and financial trouble and makes them a laughing stock. Or is the most amusing member the owner that advertises MIGS on a website that sells get rich quick schemes and term papers and apparently has a history of criminal mail fraud.

    Perhaps the MIGS crew did not really intend to start up a school but are instead just going through this whole elaborate scheme for our amusement. If that is the case then I must take off my hat and salute the absolute genius of it all. I must thank you all.

  11. #10
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356

    Post

    Originally posted by Bill Huffman:

    Perhaps the MIGS crew did not really intend to start up a school but are instead just going through this whole elaborate scheme for our amusement. If that is the case then I must take off my hat and salute the absolute genius of it all. I must thank you all.
    Both. I believe Arias is sincere, but detached. (I've forwarded the substance of Gus's comments to Arias with no response.) I also believe Forman is trying to run a graduate program. (Ineptly with great surliness, however.) But I also beleive Danzig is in it for the cash alone, as is Serna. I was in it to get in on the ground floor of a legitmate, degree-granting enterprise--and to take one of those degrees for myself.

    Rich Douglas

  12. #11
    Ohnalee is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    89

  13. #12
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356

    Post

    Originally posted by Ohnalee:
    The news made the Chronicle:
    http://chronicle.com/free/2001/11/2001110501u.htm
    Was sad. Now....LOL.

    Rich Douglas


  14. #13
    PSalmon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    184

    Post

    I wonder if MIGS will be the first school to move straight from the "accredited" chapter in one edition of Bears' Guide to the "mill" chapter in the next?

    On one hand this is quite funny; on the other I feel badly for the people who have now been so humiliated by the incredible ineptness of one or two people.

  15. #14
    Bill Highsmith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    650

    Post

    Originally posted by Ohnalee:
    The news made the Chronicle:
    http://chronicle.com/free/2001/11/2001110501u.htm
    This is interesting from the POV of the reach of the law. Can Texas reach to Florida and fine MIGS for all students, since MIGS also claimed to be operating from Florida? Can MIGS declare they are no longer doing business in Texas (if they ever were) and negotiate or sue to pay back only those students matriculated "from Texas," whatever that means for this particular virtual school. Or was the count of 42 referring to students living in Texas?


  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    bgossett is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Arkansas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    676

    Post

    Remember the four students from the suit who appeared in San Antonio and Ft. Lauderdale "concurrently in person"?

    The "42" refers, I believe, to individual graduate degree programs, rather than students.

    ------------------
    Bill Gossett
    Bill Gossett

  18. #16
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356

    Post

    Originally posted by Bill Highsmith:
    Originally posted by Ohnalee:
    The news made the Chronicle:
    http://chronicle.com/free/2001/11/2001110501u.htm
    This is interesting from the POV of the reach of the law. Can Texas reach to Florida and fine MIGS for all students, since MIGS also claimed to be operating from Florida? Can MIGS declare they are no longer doing business in Texas (if they ever were) and negotiate or sue to pay back only those students matriculated "from Texas," whatever that means for this particular virtual school. Or was the count of 42 referring to students living in Texas?

    A decision such as this will likely be recognized in Florida as well. Keep in mind, Florida denied the MIGS application for licensure as inadequate. Now they are quoted in the Chronicle of Higher Education saying MIGS still isn't licensed to operate there.

    Enrique Serna practices law in Texas. To not comply with this order cannot possibly be good for his standing with the state bar.

    It is all remarkable, ironic, and fitting. When you agree to work with a school, you expect them to be what they say they are. I was trusting enough to get involved in what I thought was a contractual agreement between one entity offering instruction on behalf of another. Well, that contractual arrangement seems to be intact, despite the fact that the contractor (MIGS) doesn't seem to have a legal right to operate.

    If MIGS had presented itself all along as nothing more than the instructional delivery system of the CEU, and if MIGS had simply applied for and received permission from Florida to operate an administrative office, and if the administration and faculty of MIGS was actually part of the CEU, and....well, you get the point.

    Properly presented and managed, the MIGS/CEU arrangement could have been akin to the Touro International University/Touro College situation. But, no.

    Rich Douglas


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197