+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 25
  1. #1
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656

    The Army Establishes The Army University

    "The U.S. Army announced the establishment of the Army University on July 7th, 2015. Army University is modeled after several successful U.S. state university systems that have fostered greater instructional efficiency and research capability by incorporating state administered teaching institutions under a single centralized system of management and resourcing. Similarly, Army University now is charged with directly integrating 70 separate U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) internal school programs under one university system while also synchronizing instruction with more than 100 additional TRADOC institutions."
    The Army Establishes The Army University | US Army Combined Arms Center
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  2. #2
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Seemingly the Army has incorporated a very similar structuring to the Marine Corps University (established 1989).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_University
    https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  3. #3
    TEKMAN is offline Semper Fi!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,685
    I would love to see Army University provides higher education degrees, at least from Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master and maybe professional Doctorate degrees. Also, allow students to transfer credits from non-traditional sources to lower the student tuition costs as the same time, service members are not going for university like Ashford , Phoenix and etc.

    When I was on active duty with the Marine Corps, I had to go through Troy University to complete this path. I hope Army University provides better way for service members, family, and veterans to obtain educational credentials for today workforce.
    Ph.D| Nova Southeastern University (W/D)
    MPS | Georgetown University (2012)
    MS | Southern Methodist University (2010)
    BS | Troy University (2006)
    Cert | Marine Corps University (2008)

  4. #4
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356
    Air University: 1946

    The Air Force created the first degree-granting, credit-awarding college for enlisted personnel, based on their military training, in 1974. I believe we're still waiting for a second service.

  5. #5
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    The Army does offer graduate degrees as does the Marine Corps University: E.g., the 1) Army Command and General Staff College offers the M.M.A.S. (Master of Military Art and Science) Master of Military Art and Science (MMAS) Degree | US Army Combined Arms Center and the Army War College offers the M.S.S. (Master of Strategic Studies) (via resident or DL) USAWC - MEL-1 Education Programs.

    Even so, these particular graduate degree programs are definitely professional military focused and limited to the military officer corps (domestic and foreign) and selected mid- to senior-level Federal /Govt. employees.

    The Naval Postgraduate School offers a more diverse choice in degree selection areas Naval Postgraduate School - Academics at NPS.
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  6. #6
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Douglas View Post
    Air University: 1946

    The Air Force created the first degree-granting, credit-awarding college for enlisted personnel, based on their military training, in 1974. I believe we're still waiting for a second service.
    I believe you're correct Rich ... still waiting.
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  7. #7
    TEKMAN is offline Semper Fi!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by major56 View Post
    The Army does offer graduate degrees as does the Marine Corps University: E.g., the 1) Army Command and General Staff College offers the M.M.A.S. (Master of Military Art and Science) Master of Military Art and Science (MMAS) Degree | US Army Combined Arms Center and the Army War College offers the M.S.S. (Master of Strategic Studies) (via resident or DL) USAWC - MEL-1 Education Programs.

    Even so, these particular graduate degree programs are definitely professional military focused and limited to the military officer corps (domestic and foreign) and selected mid- to senior-level Federal /Govt. employees.

    The Naval Postgraduate School offers a more diverse choice in degree selection areas Naval Postgraduate School - Academics at NPS.
    They do, but really limited to Enlisted member. I don't think a Private First Class who enters service with a Bachelor degree could start his or her Master degree studies at those institutions.
    Ph.D| Nova Southeastern University (W/D)
    MPS | Georgetown University (2012)
    MS | Southern Methodist University (2010)
    BS | Troy University (2006)
    Cert | Marine Corps University (2008)

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by TEKMAN View Post
    They do, but really limited to Enlisted member. I don't think a Private First Class who enters service with a Bachelor degree could start his or her Master degree studies at those institutions.
    Those particular graduate programs are beyond being "limited" to current enlisted military personnel; they're not available at all. I previously mentioned this, e.g., "Even so, these particular graduate degree programs are definitely professional military focused and limited to the military officer corps (domestic and foreign) and selected mid- to senior-level Federal /Govt. employees."
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  10. #9
    jhp
    jhp is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    604
    There are also quite a few academies of sorts across all the branches which grant ACE credits for their courses. That has been around for quite some time.

    Have a great Air Force day!

  11. #10
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356
    When I was an undergraduate and an enlisted member, Regents (now Excelsior) had a policy that they would only accept Air Force credits from CCAF--vice the ACE recommendation. This was a problem since CCAF, as a community college, only awarded lower-division credits while ACE sometimes recommended some upper division credits.

    CCAF also limits severely the number of 'nontraditional' credits (their term) that can be applied towards their associate's degrees. As some readers might recall, I did almost all of my two bachelor's degrees by testing. As a result, I didn't get my CCAF associate's until I was in graduate school (and could apply some of my credits from my MBA ). By then it was OBE.

  12. #11
    novadar is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Douglas View Post
    When I was an undergraduate and an enlisted member, Regents (now Excelsior) had a policy that they would only accept Air Force credits from CCAF--vice the ACE recommendation. This was a problem since CCAF, as a community college, only awarded lower-division credits while ACE sometimes recommended some upper division credits.

    CCAF also limits severely the number of 'nontraditional' credits (their term) that can be applied towards their associate's degrees. As some readers might recall, I did almost all of my two bachelor's degrees by testing. As a result, I didn't get my CCAF associate's until I was in graduate school (and could apply some of my credits from my MBA). By then it was OBE.

    I cannot glean what you are using the acronym OBE for in this case. My favorite is Overcome By Events. Here's a nice list of a few others. It is one of these?

    Rank Abbr. Meaning

    OBE Order of the British Empire

    OBE Out of Body Experience

    OBE Outcome-Based Education

    OBE Online Booking Engine

    OBE Overcome By Events

    OBE Overtaken By Events

    OBE On-Board Equipment

    OBE Operating-Basis Earthquake
    -------

  13. #12
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by novadar View Post
    I cannot glean what you are using the acronym OBE for in this case. My favorite is Overcome By Events.
    Yup. I never found a use for it.

  14. #13
    Bruce is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,475
    I wish that the Army had something comparable to the CCAF when I was in. In my undergrad program, I only got 4 credits for Army Basic Training (PE credits); how they arrived at 4 credits instead of 3 or 6 is beyond me. I got nothing for Military Police School or any other training.

    Of course, knowing what I know now, I might have gone Air Force instead of Army to begin with, but I can't complain with the way things have turned out.
    --
    Bruce Tait
    A.S. (Criminal Justice) Quincy College
    B.A. (Criminal Justice) Curry College
    M.A. (Criminal Justice) University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    M.A. (Forensic & Counseling Psychology) Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
    Certificate (Investigative Psychology) CUNY-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

    MOOC's
    Certificate (Disability Awareness and Support in Higher Education) University of Pittsburgh
    Certificate (International Criminal Law) Case Western Reserve University
    Certificate (Psychology of Criminal Justice) University of Queensland
    Certificate (Classical Sociological Theory) University of Amsterdam



    RA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/16/08

    NA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/20/08

  15. #14
    NorCal is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    1,013
    Hopefully this new Army University doesn't model everything after Air University (CCAF) as it always bothered me how the AF would put more merit/ emphasis of an associates degree from CCAF then they would a bachelors from anywhere else; at least as far as promotional potential was concerned in senior enlisted positions. Good for the Army though, I've always been a fan of military colleges.

    I'm the first in my family to ever graduate from college. God knows I wouldn't have any formal education if it wasn't for the military and the POST 9/11 GI Bill.
    Last edited by NorCal; 09-19-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    University of Alabama
    Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    Hopefully this new Army University doesn't model everything after Air University (CCAF) as it always bothered me how the AF would put more merit/ emphasis of an associates degree from CCAF then they would a bachelors from anywhere else; at least as far as promotional potential was concerned in senior enlisted positions. Good for the Army though, I've always been a fan of military colleges.

    I'm the first in my family to ever graduate from college. God knows I wouldn't have any formal education if it wasn't for the military and the POST 9/11 GI Bill.
    This was my criticism of CCAF (found earlier in this thread) for decades. Throughout my career, both enlisted and commissioned, that the Air Force did not place a strong emphasis on higher education for its enlisted personnel. In fact, the CCAF AAS (I have one) was seen as a membership card more than an educational accomplishment. Check the box.

    The opportunities for getting an education beyond CCAF were lame. Sure, you could use tuition assistance and go to night school for the rest of your life, but they've even put annual limits (and per-credit tuition caps) on that. The scholarship opportunities were always incredibly slim. The vast majority of them were in engineering .

    The Air Force was even stingy with the GI Bill. (Each service decides eligibility for it.) I served an entire career and never got it. Never. Ironically, when I was an education specialist, I processed hundreds of applications for benefits under the GI Bill, but I never got it myself.

    No, the Air Force has always been interested in the technical training of its enlisted force--which is first-rate--but little else in terms of their development. For that, members are largely on their own.

  18. #16
    NorCal is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I wish that the Army had something comparable to the CCAF when I was in. In my undergrad program, I only got 4 credits for Army Basic Training (PE credits); how they arrived at 4 credits instead of 3 or 6 is beyond me. I got nothing for Military Police School or any other training.
    As an Army type you didn't miss much. When I tried to transfer my CCAF credits to my junior college back home, they basically gave me a few PE credits for basic training and transferred all my other credits into elective credit. Which didn't help me at all, and by the time I finished my associates I had over 92 semester units. (Many of which was an abundance of elective credits courtesy of CCAF)
    Last edited by NorCal; 09-19-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    University of Alabama
    Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Similar Threads

  1. Charter Oak and the Army
    By Jirizarry4 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 06:56 AM
  2. Army reserve members here?
    By Go_Fishy in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
  3. Army OCS w/ DL Degree
    By tgrusso78 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
  4. Army Humor
    By PhD2B in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
  5. Be all you can be...in the Army! Lawyer enlists!
    By Jacques in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15