+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    peacfulchaos2001 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    499

    GI Bill and Foreign DL program

    Does anyone know where (on paper) the VA's policy of not paying for distance education programs from foreign schools is located? I have heard that on this forum, and was told something similar by the call center about three years ago. I have searched the website high and low but can't seem to find anything.

    Edit: By GI Bill I mean the current Post 9/11 GI Bill.
    Last edited by peacfulchaos2001; 03-31-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Thread title change.

  2. #2
    TEKMAN is offline Semper Fi!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,691
    Prior the Post 9/11 GI Bill 2.0 version, there was no funding on foreign distance education institution. After the Post 9/11 GI Bill 2.0 version, students can attend distance learning at foreign with the following rules.

    "The following information must be submitted by Veterans, Servicepersons, Reservists, and Eligible Dependents to assist VA to evaluate their intended program of education .

    NOTE: Independent study (distance learning) courses must be accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting association. In the alternative, the course may be approved under the U.S. Department of Education ’s Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program."
    URL: Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

    My interpretation that the school has to be accredited by the U.S accredited agency under CHEA and DoE?
    Ph.D| Nova Southeastern University (W/D)
    MPS | Georgetown University (2012)
    MS | Southern Methodist University (2010)
    BS | Troy University (2006)
    Cert | Marine Corps University (2008)

  3. #3
    peacfulchaos2001 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by TEKMAN View Post
    Prior the Post 9/11 GI Bill 2.0 version, there was no funding on foreign distance education institution. After the Post 9/11 GI Bill 2.0 version, students can attend distance learning at foreign with the following rules.

    "The following information must be submitted by Veterans, Servicepersons, Reservists, and Eligible Dependents to assist VA to evaluate their intended program of education .

    NOTE: Independent study (distance learning) courses must be accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting association. In the alternative, the course may be approved under the U.S. Department of Education ’s Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program."
    URL: Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

    My interpretation that the school has to be accredited by the U.S accredited agency under CHEA and DoE?
    Thanks. That explains a lot. I emailed the certifying official at the University of London about two weeks ago. He has been out of the office so haven't received much of a response. Will dig deeper into this.

  4. #4
    TEKMAN is offline Semper Fi!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by peacfulchaos2001 View Post
    Thanks. That explains a lot. I emailed the certifying official at the University of London about two weeks ago. He has been out of the office so haven't received much of a response. Will dig deeper into this.
    Hey let me know because I still have 15 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill, and I want to attend Aston University/Lancaster University's Ph.D in Management by research.
    Ph.D| Nova Southeastern University (W/D)
    MPS | Georgetown University (2012)
    MS | Southern Methodist University (2010)
    BS | Troy University (2006)
    Cert | Marine Corps University (2008)

  5. #5
    peacfulchaos2001 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    499
    UPDATE: Things are moving along very slowly. I am in the middle of sorting out the "who actually get's paid". Apparently, my program (LLM) is academically managed by Queens Mary University and University College of London. I don't think the VA will be much of a problem. This website allows for foreign DL programs, so long as the distance learning courses are accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting association. In the alternative, the course is approved under the U.S. Department of Education ’s Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program.

    I pretty much took that statement right off of the website.

  6. #6
    TEKMAN is offline Semper Fi!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by peacfulchaos2001 View Post
    UPDATE: Things are moving along very slowly. I am in the middle of sorting out the "who actually get's paid". Apparently, my program (LLM) is academically managed by Queens Mary University and University College of London. I don't think the VA will be much of a problem. This website allows for foreign DL programs, so long as the distance learning courses are accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting association. In the alternative, the course is approved under the U.S. Department of Education ’s Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program.

    I pretty much took that statement right off of the website.
    So, the interpretation of "a nationally recognized accrediting association" is UK's instead US's?
    Ph.D| Nova Southeastern University (W/D)
    MPS | Georgetown University (2012)
    MS | Southern Methodist University (2010)
    BS | Troy University (2006)
    Cert | Marine Corps University (2008)

  7. #7
    peacfulchaos2001 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    499
    That is the only issue I see. Without that I would have said "no problem" instead of "much of a problem". Most people I have spoken to so far either 1) don't know the answer, 2) don't know the answer and can't reference me to where it could be 3) are to afraid to answer (the most common) Still climbing that tree though. More updates to come.

  8. Advertisement

Similar Threads

  1. GI Bill and Foreign Distance Learning?
    By TEKMAN in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
  2. Yellow Ribbon Program/ GI Bill Schools
    By TEKMAN in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 12:06 AM
  3. Masters program in diplomacy/international relations/foreign policy
    By dave042 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 02:35 AM
  4. An Indian MBA program open to Foreign Students!
    By dl_mba in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 02:41 PM
  5. EASIEST TO DEAL WITH DL FOREIGN DOCTORAL PROGRAM
    By pjm in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2001, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197