+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 17 to 32 of 35
  1. #17
    John Bear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Northern California.
    Posts
    5,654
    As it happens, today I received the 2010 edition of Europa World of Learning (60th edition), published by Routledge, all 2,911 pages of it.* The 152-page section on the United Kingdon describes, in considerable detail, every recognised university in the UK. There is Canterbury Christ Church University (www.canterbury.ac.uk), but no Canterbury University.

    ____________
    * As always, there are five "Introductory Essays" at the start of Vol. 1, on topics ranging from "The Higher Education of Women in the Arabian Gulf" to "Ranking in Higher Education : its Place and Impact." The first essay is entitled "Degree Mills: the billion-dollar industry that threatens the world of higher education ," by yours truly.

  2. #18
    Migara is offline member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    250
    John Bear: As it happens, today I received the 2010 edition of Europa World of Learning (60th edition), published by Routledge, all 2,911 pages of it.* The 152-page section on the United Kingdon describes, in considerable detail, every recognised university in the UK. There is Canterbury Christ Church University (www.canterbury.ac.uk), but no Canterbury University.

    Migara: Dr. Bear, can you let me know if IUBL (international University of Business and Law) is included on this edition?

    Thanks

    Migara

  3. #19
    Stanislav is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Migara: Dr. Bear, can you let me know if IUBL (international University of Business and Law) is included on this edition?

    Thanks

    Migara
    I think you need to be more specific, since International University of Business and Law is such a generic name. You mean the one you mentioned before, in Ukraine?

    Then, I'm interested, too. My preliminary assessment - legitimate but near bottom of the barrel.

  4. #20
    Sean Jones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Anderson View Post
    Hi Sean,
    You will have to provide better info than that. Neither web site links to the university.
    Google search draws a blank.
    It is not listed here http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/recognisedukd...nstitutes.list
    And it is not listed here http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews/reports/instIndex.asp
    Also I am unable to find a UK Department of Education (or Ministry of Education ) - now there just seems to be a directgov organization.
    The address you show does not look like a university on the Google satellite map.
    Hi Ian,

    It is www.whatever.com. I usually take the alumni link from there which shows as www.i don't think so.com on my web browser - to interact with others from my university. Go try it again. The UK actually does have a Department of Education . I will get you the link.

    By the way, any of you know of universities that are accredited nationally or internationally that are fully functional that do not have a website? (Absurd! But I am currently trying to track down such a university that is on an applicants resume). The name of the university is Rothman Mascots University – it is supposed to be located in the UK. Can anyone help me?

  5. #21
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    8,139
    We try not to provide advertising for the mills so I've messed up the links that Sean so generously provided.

    Sean - if you're a one trick pony then you should take that small act elsewhere. if you are a legitimate member then you can continue to post. please don't link to mills.

  6. Advertisement

  7. #22
    Migara is offline member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    250
    Stanislav, yes i am refering to the Ukraine's institution.

  8. #23
    BillDayson is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Jones View Post
    Go try it again. The UK actually does have a Department of Education. I will get you the link.
    That doesn't really address the points that Ian made.

    There is no 'Canterbury University' included on the British government's list of recognized UK degree granting institutions.

    http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/recognisedukd...teCategoryID=1

    The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education doesn't appear to have ever reviewed it.

    http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews/reports/instIndex.asp

    Here's a brief description of how real British higher-education institutions obtain their degree-granting powers.

    http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews/dap/briefGuideDAP.asp

    I think that it's safe to say that 'Canterbury University' does not possess a British royal charter or an act of parliament. Reportedly it operates on the basis of an off-shore business license from the Seychelles, a small Indian Ocean island republic.

    See the official 'bogus degrees warning'

    http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/recognisedukd...w&CategoryID=7

    While it's apparently legal for purportedly foreign universities to offer degree-programs inside the UK with little or no restriction (or seemingly any official interest in whether they are real universities at all), it's an offense for them to suggest that they are British institutions or that they are awarding British degrees. 'Canterbury University' seems to be violating that one big-time. But luckily for them, there doesn't seem to be any real enforcement.

  9. #24
    emmzee is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by BillDayson View Post
    I think that it's safe to say that 'Canterbury University' does not possess a British royal charter or an act of parliament. Reportedly it operates on the basis of an off-shore business license from the Seychelles, a small Indian Ocean island republic.
    Interesting side-note re Seychelles (if it's true, that is ... from Wikipedia, unsourced):
    The current administration has advanced plans to open a University on the islands in an attempt to slow down the brain drain that has occurred in the past. Initiated in conjunction with the University of London, the Seychelles are launching education programs which will include teaching and lead to the award of the recognized qualifications from the University of London.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seychelles

    Of course, this has nothing to do with "Canterbury University".
    In progress: MA, Wycliffe College, U of Toronto
    MTS, Tyndale University College & Seminary
    BA, University of Guelph
    Certs: Online Instruction (CMich), Apologetics (BIOLA), CompTIA A+

  10. #25
    John Bear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Northern California.
    Posts
    5,654
    The International University of Business and Law is not among the 72 Ukrainian universities listed and described in Europa World of Learning 2010.

    Tools for further exploration (but not by me):

    Ukraine accreditation:
    ENIC/NARIC, Dept. for Licensing and Accreditation, Ministry of Education and Science, www.mon.gov.ua, email dlan@mon.gov.ua, Director: Vasyl Chinkaruk.

    Ministry of Education and Science: www.mon.gov.ua, press@mon.gov.ua. Minister: Ivan Vakarchuk.

    Association of Non-State-Owned Educational Institutions of Ukraine. assoc@ufimb.kiev.ua, www.ambernet.kiev.ua/~/aeiunfp/index_e/htm/
    (68 members, not listed)

  11. #26
    ebbwvale is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    576
    How is NZ swallowing the Australian win over India? I won't near the word rooting. It suffices to say that if in Australia/New Zealand or talking to Australians/New Zealanders, best not to say,"I am rooting for this team." The way things are with political correctness/sponsorship etc, the team may take legal action!

  12. #27
    Migara is offline member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bear View Post
    The International University of Business and Law is not among the 72 Ukrainian universities listed and described in Europa World of Learning 2010.

    Tools for further exploration (but not by me):

    Ukraine accreditation:
    ENIC/NARIC, Dept. for Licensing and Accreditation, Ministry of Education and Science, www.mon.gov.ua, email dlan@mon.gov.ua, Director: Vasyl Chinkaruk.

    Ministry of Education and Science: www.mon.gov.ua, press@mon.gov.ua. Minister: Ivan Vakarchuk.

    Association of Non-State-Owned Educational Institutions of Ukraine. assoc@ufimb.kiev.ua, www.ambernet.kiev.ua/~/aeiunfp/index_e/htm/
    (68 members, not listed)
    This is what IUBL is listed in Latin in the Unesco =http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabases/list_data/u-nw.html#Ukraine and check under Privatnij Vishij Navčalnij Zaklad Mižnarodnij Universitet Biznesu i Prava
    Perhaps in Europa World of Learning 2010 it may listed under above latin name?

    Its ukraine accreditation is listed on: www.mon.gov.ua/laws/MON_350.doc. its all in Ukrainian.

    Stanislav, perhaps you can interpret it.
    thanks
    Migara

  13. #28
    Stanislav is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    This is what IUBL is listed in Latin in the Unesco =http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabases/list_data/u-nw.html#Ukraine and check under Privatnij Vishij Navčalnij Zaklad Mižnarodnij Universitet Biznesu i Prava
    Perhaps in Europa World of Learning 2010 it may listed under above latin name?

    Its ukraine accreditation is listed on: www.mon.gov.ua/laws/MON_350.doc. its all in Ukrainian.

    Stanislav, perhaps you can interpret it.
    thanks
    Migara
    It is some Ministry directive bestowing some weird status "research institution supported by the state" on couple dozed institutions. Privatnij Vishij Navčalnij Zaklad Mižnarodnij Universitet Biznesu i Prava is listed among other "institutions of higher learning that have III-IV level of accreditation", i.e. accredited schools.

    Also, here it is listed with other licensed schools: http://www.mon.gov.ua/nz/Licenzii/HT...#_Toc199143598

    Getting a license is like having accreditation candidacy, but accredited schools keep their license (hence, on a page for state schools, you have all the numerous universities in Kherson region, definitely accredited). Small print on the page mention "protocol N26 (accreditation)", so my guess is that this outfit is accredited.

    Still - what's their unique value proposition? "International University of Busines and Law" in Kherson sounds near millish to my ear. Actually, any law school in Ukraine is not so hot, given the sorry state of the justice system. But private one in Kherson? Pffft.

  14. Advertisement

  15. #29
    Stanislav is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    654
    LOL: Wisconsin International "University" is still licensed in Ukraine! Apparently even has degree-granting power (in Management).

  16. #30
    japhy4529 is offline House Bassist
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbwvale View Post
    How is NZ swallowing the Australian win over India? I won't near the word rooting. It suffices to say that if in Australia/New Zealand or talking to Australians/New Zealanders, best not to say,"I am rooting for this team." The way things are with political correctness/sponsorship etc, the team may take legal action!
    Hopefully they've recovered by now, since this post is almost 7 years old!
    Tom
    B.S., Behavioral Science - Bellevue University 2010
    A.S., Liberal Studies - Excelsior College 2009

  17. #31
    ebbwvale is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by japhy4529 View Post
    Hopefully they've recovered by now, since this post is almost 7 years old!
    New Zealanders never get over an Australian victory, but point taken.

  18. #32
    Sean Jones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    We try not to provide advertising for the mills so I've messed up the links that Sean so generously provided.

    Sean - if you're a one trick pony then you should take that small act elsewhere. if you are a legitimate member then you can continue to post. please don't link to mills.
    Why don't you post this reply?

    Why would Oxford University in the UK accept me if my credentials were substandard?

    Maybe we should rather look into the rather compromised, lower standard of US education … Ever heard of “college” credits for previous work experience? RPL? Most if not all American universities incorporate this practice. How fair and on par with UK government-accredited university standards is that when it comes to the benchmark of education ? This is, of course an American concept. I would love to hear your comment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15