+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150

    Ilisagvik College

    Congratulations on their first Bachelors degree program!

    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...egree-program/
    American College of Sports Medicine

  2. #2
    heirophant is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    659
    I like this unique school.

    https://www.ilisagvik.edu/

    Here's a photo of some of their campus buildings.



    It's an Inuit/Eskimo tribal college, and it's certainly in an exotic location, the northernmost point in the United States! (Stop laughing, Canadians, we think it's cool. Literally.) Actually Barrow/Utqiagvik is north of Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut, home of Canada's Nunavut Arctic College. Ilisagvik College appears to me to to be the northernmost college anywhere in North America.

    It's right on the beach, just like Hawaii except that this is the Arctic Ocean.
    Last edited by heirophant; 09-11-2017 at 08:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Phdtobe is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by heirophant View Post
    I like this unique school.

    https://www.ilisagvik.edu/

    Here's a photo of some of their campus buildings.



    It's an Inuit/Eskimo tribal college, and it's certainly in an exotic location, the northernmost point in the United States! (Stop laughing, Canadians, we think it's cool. Literally.) Actually Barrow/Utqiagvik is north of Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut, home of Canada's Nunavut Arctic College. Ilisagvik College appears to me to to be the northernmost college anywhere in North America.

    It's right on the beach, just like Hawaii except that this is the Arctic Ocean.
    I am showing off my Inuktitut and I am guessing the Alaska dialect: Ilisag, learning- Vik, place. Ilisagvik, place of learning.
    Anyway, Iqaluit is below the circle, and in Nunavut there are colleges above the circle. In my community about the circle these is college that offers certificates and once in a while teacher B.ed.
    There is also a universitity above the circle in Finland I believe.

  4. #4
    Phdtobe is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by Phdtobe View Post
    I am showing off my Inuktitut and I am guessing the Alaska dialect: Ilisag, learning- Vik, place. Ilisagvik, place of learning.
    Anyway, Iqaluit is below the circle, and in Nunavut, there are colleges above the circle. In my community about the circle, there is a college that offers certificates and once in a while teacher B.ed.
    There is also a university above the circle in Finland I believe.
    This morning I ask my Inuit staff about Ilisagvik. It just another name for school/college.

  5. #5
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Phdtobe View Post
    There is also a universitity above the circle in Finland I believe.
    This one?

    UArctic - University of Lapland
    American College of Sports Medicine

  6. #6
    heirophant is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    659
    The place to go for high arctic universities seems to be Murmansk Russia.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murmansk

    Not only do they have Murmansk Arctic State University

    - News

    But also Murmansk State Technical University

    Welcome to the most Northern technical university in Russia!

    The latter is proud owner of the large and impressive STS Sedov sail training ship. 3,500 tons, 117 meters long. This was originally pre-war German, built by Krupp in 1920, tied up in the Baltic somewhere, and Russia took it in 1945 at the end of the War. They assigned it to a maritime training school in Murmansk that was eventually rolled into MSTU, I believe. Here it is becalmed on glassy seas, far south of Murmansk I'd guess. It has an auxiliary engine.

    Click here
    Last edited by heirophant; 09-12-2017 at 01:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,555
    Brrr! Arctic weather makes a good case for distance learning!

    J.

  8. Advertisement

Similar Threads

  1. Are Ashworth college and Penn Foster college internationally accredited?
    By dimrg in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 09:03 AM
  2. Any college accept Microsoft certifications for college credits ?
    By nyvrem in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2016, 03:40 PM
  3. Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, and Thomas Edison State College
    By jdlaw93 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 06:27 PM
  4. Mott Community College's College in the Workplace
    By dave lasp in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2002, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15