+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    dlp
    dlp is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9

    Center for Legal Studies paralegal certificate

    I have been looking into the Paralegal Certificate offered by the Center for Legal Studies . They partner with a bunch of reputable universities and community colleges to offer this program, and the certificate would be issued by the school through which the student enrolled in the program. The certificate is offered in 4 different formats, including in-person and online. I was thinking about doing it online through George Mason University. The reason I chose GMU is because their law school is accredited by the ABA (although the paralegal program itself isn't), and the campus is not too far from me, which would hopefully make it a little less obvious that I did it online. It seems almost too good to be true... tuition is only a little over $1000, and it only takes 14 weeks to complete. I'm wondering if there are many more certificate holders than there are jobs for them.

    My question is: Has anyone gone through the CLC's Paralegal Certificate program as a complete newcomer to the profession, and actually landed a decent job in the field?

    And a more general question: Does anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad, with the paralegal profession? I'm wondering if I would even like being a paralegal ...

    Thanks in advance for any insight you could offer!

  2. #2
    AUTiger00 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC/Brawltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    I have been looking into the Paralegal Certificate offered by the Center for Legal Studies . They partner with a bunch of reputable universities and community colleges to offer this program, and the certificate would be issued by the school through which the student enrolled in the program. The certificate is offered in 4 different formats, including in-person and online. I was thinking about doing it online through George Mason University. The reason I chose GMU is because their law school is accredited by the ABA (although the paralegal program itself isn't), and the campus is not too far from me, which would hopefully make it a little less obvious that I did it online. It seems almost too good to be true... tuition is only a little over $1000, and it only takes 14 weeks to complete. I'm wondering if there are many more certificate holders than there are jobs for them.

    My question is: Has anyone gone through the CLC's Paralegal Certificate program as a complete newcomer to the profession, and actually landed a decent job in the field?

    And a more general question: Does anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad, with the paralegal profession? I'm wondering if I would even like being a paralegal ...

    Thanks in advance for any insight you could offer!
    It can be a rewarding and lucrative career. Some paralegals with several years of experience at large firms earn six figure salaries. That said, with the current state of the legal profession, you won't only be competing with other paralegals but also JD holders that can't find work as an attorney (and there are a lot of them).
    HARVARD UNIV., Ed.M-'12
    HARVARD UNIV., ALM-Gov't (on hold)
    VANDERBILT UNIV., Owen SOM; MBA'08
    AUBURN UNIV., BS '00
    UNIV. OF DUBLIN, TRINITY COLLEGE; Study Abroad
    UNIV. OF AUCKLAND; Study Abroad

  3. #3
    dlp
    dlp is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for your reply! Hmmm, I hadn't realized that I would be competing with JD holders. Not to be down on myself, but I don't see why anyone would hire me over a JD! Maybe it's time to get back to the drawing board...

  4. #4
    joel66 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    249
    If you do not have a legal background and you are trying to become a paralegal , I would not recommend doing the certificate, unless you complete the NALA CP/CLA exam. Just completing the certificate is not going to be enough to pass this exam, because it is a five part – 7 ˝ hours – over two day exam! Even so, I do not recommend the certificate. I recently started my new job about seven months ago and it is a cross between a paralegal and junior associate. I have been doing claims for almost twenty years and most of it litigation. When I started this new job, I realized I needed to build more strength on reviewing/editing answers, request for productions, interrogatories that deal with institutional request, and writing memorandums.

    I originally signed up for the certificate with UT Arlington that cost around $3,500. They have 14 courses at $250 each. I signed up for the first course at $250 called Paralegal Fundamentals and completed that course in two days. One thing I noticed about the courses at UT Arlington for this program is the material and training is from Edway.com. I was not at all impressed with this course, so I switched over to UT Arlington’s other paralegal program that is in partnership with Gatlin (Ed2Go). The entire course for that one is around $1,995 and I found it to be structured better than the more expensive option. Ed2go also includes two books and extra study material (seven courses) from NALA for the CP/CLA exam.

    Even though I completed the above program, I don’t see how someone is going to take this certificate and expect to get hired by a law firm as a paralegal . Maybe as a legal secretary and doing admin tasks and that is not the same as what paralegals / legal assistants do, because they will assist on drafting legal documents, discovery, and assisting the attorney on deposition preps. If you want to get into the field, I can’t stress this enough to obtain an AA in Paralegal Studies from your local community college. Second option is to get the AA online, but it will be harder to compete with other people who obtained their degree locally because the firms usually have some type of partnership with the local schools.

    For me, I made the mistake of taking the certificate, because I did not read the fine print that my employer will only pay for the certificate if I complete the NALA CP / CLA exam. After I purchased the Certified Paralegal Review Manual I realized I have my work cut out for me, because of the amount of information that is covered. Luckily, my employer will pay for anther associates, bachelors and master’s program. So, I ended up registering with Liberty University to complete the AA in Paralegal Studies since it is free and plan to do this, while studying for the exam. I noticed from reading the syllabus, the amount of content is substantially more than the certificate.
    Liberty University, MBA in Accounting (2013)
    Excelsior BS - General Business (2009)
    CPCU Designation (2010)

  5. #5
    peacfulchaos2001 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    Thanks for your reply! Hmmm, I hadn't realized that I would be competing with JD holders. Not to be down on myself, but I don't see why anyone would hire me over a JD! Maybe it's time to get back to the drawing board...
    That has it's pros and cons. From what I've seen, a lot of firms would hire a good (experienced AND knowledgeable) paralegal over a JD holder. It works out for them in the long run. I just had a friend get turned down for a paralegal position. Most firms realize that a JD holder would probably be doing it until "something better" comes along. Which creates a high turnover in that position. Additionally, 9 out of 10 times the JD holder is going to want more money. The more experience you have the better. I really can't emphasize the importance of the experience. Which could be gained by volunteering/interning with firms and others.
    LLM, University of South Africa (on hold)
    JD, Thomas M. Cooley Law School
    BA, Thomas Edison State College
    AAS, Community College of the Air Force

  6. #6
    CalDog is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,481
    From what I've seen, a lot of firms would hire a good (experienced AND knowledgeable) paralegal over a JD holder
    Some firms are now stating explicitly that they will not hire JDs for paralegal positions, using the phrase "JDs need not apply". Here's a current example of a job posting for a compliance paralegal :

    Qualifications:

    - Paralegal certification preferred. JDs need not apply
    - 1-3 years’ experience in administrative or legal assistant role
    - Experience in the financial services industry a plus
    - Proficient with Microsoft Office programs; experience with Microsoft Excel required
    - Experience working in a law firm or in an position reporting to an attorney a plus
    - Experience performing legal research
    - Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    - Strong work ethic and organizational skills
    - Ability to handle multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
    The perception is that JDs want too much money, won't make a long-term commitment to a paralegal position, are generally more difficult to work with, and are more likely to sue if they are unhappy with working conditions.
    Last edited by CalDog; 05-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.

  7. #7
    sanantone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by joel66 View Post
    If you do not have a legal background and you are trying to become a paralegal , I would not recommend doing the certificate, unless you complete the NALA CP/CLA exam. Just completing the certificate is not going to be enough to pass this exam, because it is a five part – 7 ˝ hours – over two day exam! Even so, I do not recommend the certificate. I recently started my new job about seven months ago and it is a cross between a paralegal and junior associate. I have been doing claims for almost twenty years and most of it litigation. When I started this new job, I realized I needed to build more strength on reviewing/editing answers, request for productions, interrogatories that deal with institutional request, and writing memorandums.

    I originally signed up for the certificate with UT Arlington that cost around $3,500. They have 14 courses at $250 each. I signed up for the first course at $250 called Paralegal Fundamentals and completed that course in two days. One thing I noticed about the courses at UT Arlington for this program is the material and training is from Edway.com. I was not at all impressed with this course, so I switched over to UT Arlington’s other paralegal program that is in partnership with Gatlin (Ed2Go). The entire course for that one is around $1,995 and I found it to be structured better than the more expensive option. Ed2go also includes two books and extra study material (seven courses) from NALA for the CP/CLA exam.

    Even though I completed the above program, I don’t see how someone is going to take this certificate and expect to get hired by a law firm as a paralegal . Maybe as a legal secretary and doing admin tasks and that is not the same as what paralegals / legal assistants do, because they will assist on drafting legal documents, discovery, and assisting the attorney on deposition preps. If you want to get into the field, I can’t stress this enough to obtain an AA in Paralegal Studies from your local community college. Second option is to get the AA online, but it will be harder to compete with other people who obtained their degree locally because the firms usually have some type of partnership with the local schools.

    For me, I made the mistake of taking the certificate, because I did not read the fine print that my employer will only pay for the certificate if I complete the NALA CP / CLA exam. After I purchased the Certified Paralegal Review Manual I realized I have my work cut out for me, because of the amount of information that is covered. Luckily, my employer will pay for anther associates, bachelors and master’s program. So, I ended up registering with Liberty University to complete the AA in Paralegal Studies since it is free and plan to do this, while studying for the exam. I noticed from reading the syllabus, the amount of content is substantially more than the certificate.
    Many certificate programs require just as many and, sometimes, even more paralegal courses than associate's degree programs. Associate's programs just have the added general education requirements. I did some research into paralegal salaries a couple of years ago and came across this:

    Forms of Educations
    Average Compensation
    Post Baccalaureate Certificate
    $53,651
    Undergraduate Certificate
    $52,066
    Associate Degree
    $49,402
    Bachelor Degree
    $49,292
    Paralegal Studies -- Professional Certificates -- Duke Continuing Studies

    I'm assuming the most successful people are those who got a bachelor's degree in just about any major and then went back to get a post-baccalaureate certificate.
    PhD Criminal Justice (in progress)
    Master of Security Studies
    Grad Cert Terrorism and Counterinsurgency Studies
    BA Social Science
    AAS Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    joel66 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    249
    You bring up a good point about the post bachelors certificate. I know I mentioned AA in Paralegal Studies. One of the reasons I mentioned the AA, because if one already has a bachelors he or she would already satisfy most if not all of the GE requirements. On the paralegal courses, I am referring more to taking paralegal courses in college setting for college credit instead of continuing education because the of the amount of content that is involved in the courses. In continuing education , I noticed there are three main players in the industry, and most of these colleges and universities are using these companies like a private label type format. For example, a lot of the community colleges and state colleges are using Gatlin (Ed2Go); lower universities are using Edway.com; and higher universities like Duke University, UT Austin, USC , UNLV and others are using another company.
    Liberty University, MBA in Accounting (2013)
    Excelsior BS - General Business (2009)
    CPCU Designation (2010)

Similar Threads

  1. Paralegal/Legal Studies Masters Programs that accept nationally accredited bachelors?
    By Reca123 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 06:18 PM
  2. Online Associate's in Paralegal Studies
    By Bruce in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
  3. Online graduate certificate in Law/Legal Studies
    By Bruce in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 09:59 AM
  4. Center for Advanced Legal Studies (Paralegal training)
    By emmzee in forum Accreditation Discussions (RA, DETC, state approval, and unaccredited schools)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
  5. Paralegal/Legal Assistant Training?
    By KF@UNA in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15