+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 31
  1. #1
    LilKatie24 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    104

    Unoficial Transcript Acceptance?

    Does anyone know of a college that will accept hours from an unofficial transcript? At least until I can pay my former college off? I owe them about 800 dollars. I simply can't pay that all at once I have no credit cards I do have a decent job but it will take me a few months to pay that much. I have 50 hours that I don't want to lose. I do intend to pay off that college so I can get the official transcript I would just like the college to look at the unofficial to let me know how many courses I would need to take for my Associates. They don't have to necessarily "accept" the unofficial just let me know that they will accept the credits when I can get them the official transcript.

    I was looking at Excelsior. But if anyone else can point me in the right direction that would be great.

  2. #2
    Ian Anderson is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    4,862
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKatie24 View Post
    .......... I would just like the college to look at the unofficial to let me know how many courses I would need to take for my Associates. ..............
    By "50 hours" do you mean 50 semester units?

    If so you would need ten or more additional semester units to qualify for an AA degree. If would care to PM me with your unofficial transcripts I could see how they stack up with Excelsior's and COSC 's requirements. You could take CLEP or DSST exams to cover the additional units.

    I would really concentrate on paying off the $800 ASAP - it would cost you much more than that to duplicate the 50 units you have.
    Ian Anderson


    BS, Excelsior College
    MS Quality Assurance, California State University Dominguez Hills
    Master Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
    Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

    "Technical advantage, once lost, is difficult to regain" Unknown.

  3. #3
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKatie24 View Post
    Does anyone know of a college that will accept hours from an unofficial transcript? At least until I can pay my former college off? I owe them about 800 dollars. I simply can't pay that all at once I have no credit cards I do have a decent job but it will take me a few months to pay that much. I have 50 hours that I don't want to lose. I do intend to pay off that college so I can get the official transcript I would just like the college to look at the unofficial to let me know how many courses I would need to take for my Associates. They don't have to necessarily "accept" the unofficial just let me know that they will accept the credits when I can get them the official transcript.

    I was looking at Excelsior. But if anyone else can point me in the right direction that would be great.
    I'm very sorry to say that I don't think there would be any RA schools that would accept unofficial transcripts. That is, unless the hours were not needed to begin the degree in question. I think that Excelsior or TESC would offer the best two chances of making something happen. They might at least tell you if they would accept your units once they can be reported as official.
    If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so angry? Shannon Wheeler

  4. #4
    LilKatie24 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOliver View Post
    I'm very sorry to say that I don't think there would be any RA schools that would accept unofficial transcripts. That is, unless the hours were not needed to begin the degree in question. I think that Excelsior or TESC would offer the best two chances of making something happen. They might at least tell you if they would accept your units once they can be reported as official.
    Thank you, thats really all I need. I just want to know that if I do start say at Excelsior or TESC that it won't take me to long to get my Associates.

  5. #5
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,347
    You are very welcome. Please let me know what they say about that. I am curious too.
    If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so angry? Shannon Wheeler

  6. #6
    b4cz28 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,276
    Almost any school will take unofficals as long as you get them the officals before the end of the first semester.
    AS Andrew Jackson 2011
    AGS Clovis CC 2011

  7. #7
    LilKatie24 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    104
    That's what I'm hoping, really I just want my AA as quick as I can. I just don't have the time or gas money to drive to my B&M school anymore. I can pay them by the end of the first semester I just wanted to see how quickly I could finish at each school. I'm trying to scan a copy of my unofficial since lucky me my print screen isnt working lol. I do know that most of my credits are from technology courses, although I do have a History and English scattered around with Microeconomics. I have a certificate in Computer Science so thats probably why. Heck I was shocked to see that I had 50 college hours completed. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Wish me luck :)

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by b4cz28 View Post
    Almost any school will take unofficals as long as you get them the officals before the end of the first semester.
    My experience with unofficial transcripts is vastly different than yours. I have never dealt with any school that will even look at unofficial transcripts. I hope LilKatie24's experiences turn out the be more like yours than mine.
    If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so angry? Shannon Wheeler

  10. #9
    LilKatie24 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    104
    I hope so to :( if not I guess I can still enroll and take courses I need, then when I do pay off my former school, receive my official transcript I can show it to them then, or transfer to a different college with all the courses I have taken. Man I wish I was rich...or that I actually took the time to finish my classes back when I was younger. That's a hard lesson learned, I went to college before I was ready to actually commit.

  11. #10
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKatie24 View Post
    I hope so to :( if not I guess I can still enroll and take courses I need, then when I do pay off my former school, receive my official transcript I can show it to them then, or transfer to a different college with all the courses I have taken. Man I wish I was rich...or that I actually took the time to finish my classes back when I was younger. That's a hard lesson learned, I went to college before I was ready to actually commit.
    Yea, we can all beat ourselves up with hindsight. You are not the only one. The only thing you can do is vow to make more careful choices, and then you will still kick yourself when looking back sometimes.
    If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so angry? Shannon Wheeler

  12. #11
    b4cz28 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOliver View Post
    My experience with unofficial transcripts is vastly different than yours. I have never dealt with any school that will even look at unofficial transcripts. I hope LilKatie24's experiences turn out the be more like yours than mine.


    LU does it.
    AS Andrew Jackson 2011
    AGS Clovis CC 2011

  13. #12
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by b4cz28 View Post
    Almost any school will take unofficals as long as you get them the officals before the end of the first semester.
    I've worked as an academic advisor, evaluating transcripts for transfer credit, and this is not the case at all.

    -=Steve=-
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  14. #13
    b4cz28 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,276
    A quick check around the net found many schools that allow you to enter with unoffical

    Distance Learning Online Education Requirements | Liberty University Online
    AS Andrew Jackson 2011
    AGS Clovis CC 2011

  15. #14
    -kevin- is offline Resident Redneck
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,957
    Katie,

    To agree with your thoughts above. Most schools will allow you to take classes as a non degree seeking student. With careful planning and discussion with an advisor you can then apply these classes to a degree program later in the process. You can probably finish paying your debt and time this process so that your enrollment in a degree program will coincide with completing classes as a non degree seeking student and finalizing your debt. Make sure you discuss this option with an advisor so that you aren't taking classes without any benefit of application later on.

    Best wishes for the future...
    Last edited by -kevin-; 12-29-2010 at 03:17 PM.

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    LilKatie24 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    104
    Thank you, I have made some emails and calls but of course won't hear anything back until the 3rd.

  18. #16
    StefanM is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    I've worked as an academic advisor, evaluating transcripts for transfer credit, and this is not the case at all.

    -=Steve=-
    It depends on the institution. Where I work, unofficial transcripts can be used for provisional admission, and the official transcripts are to be turned no later than 30 days after the start of the term.

Similar Threads

  1. Credits on One Transcript
    By aegis in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 06:59 PM
  2. Transcript Question...
    By swisha2k in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
  3. ACE transcript question
    By cookderosa in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
  4. ACE Transcript Service
    By ternahan in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 12:05 AM
  5. AARTS transcript
    By Ron Dotson in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15