+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    iquagmire is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    367

    Where to add Executive Certificate(post MBA) on Resume?

    Hi all.

    I am a few courses away from an MBA in Marketing from Florida Institute of Technology (through University Alliance). I am considering obtaining an Executive Certificate in Global Finance aftwer wards but I was wondering where on the resume it would land. It's am open enrollment program at Thunderbird but they offer CEUs.

    Would it be under EDUCATION or should I add another section for CERTIFICATES?

    I am currently a Marketing Manager at a company and will eventually want to move up or out so I am prepping my resume.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    MBA/Marketing, Florida Institute of Technology 2012
    Accelerated BBA, Baker College 2003

  2. #2
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    5,530
    Here's another, not entirely off-topic, question. If one completes a post-grad certificate, is that person considered an alumnus of the school he received it from?
    BA, Social Sciences ---- Thomas Edison State College

    Anything can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how you choose to deal with it. -Ted Heiks
    "The dinosaurs never saw that asteroid coming. What's our excuse?" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

  3. #3
    Randell1234 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    Here's another, not entirely off-topic, question. If one completes a post-grad certificate, is that person considered an alumnus of the school he received it from?
    I would say yes they are.

    I list my grad certificate between a masters and bachelors, almost like a ranking of degrees.

    •MS-IT Management – Touro University International
    •Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Risk ManagementUniversity of Florida
    •BS in Individualized Studies – Charter Oak State College

  4. #4
    Randell1234 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,593
    Quote Originally Posted by iquagmire View Post
    Hi all.

    I am a few courses away from an MBA in Marketing from Florida Institute of Technology (through University Alliance). I am considering obtaining an Executive Certificate in Global Finance aftwer wards but I was wondering where on the resume it would land. It's am open enrollment program at Thunderbird but they offer CEUs.

    Would it be under EDUCATION or should I add another section for CERTIFICATES?

    I am currently a Marketing Manager at a company and will eventually want to move up or out so I am prepping my resume.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    I misunderstood the first time. I would list it at the top if it was related to what you wanted to do. It depends on how you want to use it to get the readers attention.

    •Executive Certificate in Global Finance - Thunderbird
    •MS-IT Management – Touro University International
    •Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Risk ManagementUniversity of Florida
    •BS in Individualized Studies – Charter Oak State College

  5. #5
    AUTiger00 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC/Brawltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    Here's another, not entirely off-topic, question. If one completes a post-grad certificate, is that person considered an alumnus of the school he received it from?
    I think it depends on the school. I know if you complete some of the extended executive ed programs at Harvard Business School you do receive alumni status and benefits but they can cost between $8000 and $56,000 (that isn't a typo).

    The OP could look at eCornell , they have some interesting programs that are reasonably priced and offer CEUs. Not sure how their costs compare to Thunderbird, but they are always offering discounts.

    I think you could add them under education if they took an extended duration to complete (say anything 3 months or longer) or create a new section for certification. If you only have one or two certifications I think it would make the resume flow better if you just kept them listed under education .
    Last edited by AUTiger00; 09-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    HARVARD UNIV., Ed.M-'12
    HARVARD UNIV., ALM-Gov't (on hold)
    VANDERBILT UNIV., Owen SOM; MBA'08
    AUBURN UNIV., BS '00
    UNIV. OF DUBLIN, TRINITY COLLEGE; Study Abroad
    UNIV. OF AUCKLAND; Study Abroad

  6. #6
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Randell1234 View Post
    I misunderstood the first time. I would list it at the top if it was related to what you wanted to do. It depends on how you want to use it to get the readers attention.

    •Executive Certificate in Global Finance - Thunderbird
    •MS-IT Management – Touro University International
    •Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Risk ManagementUniversity of Florida
    •BS in Individualized Studies – Charter Oak State College
    Reading between the lines of Randall's two posts, it seems you should add your certificate in the same section of the resume as your degrees.
    BA, Social Sciences ---- Thomas Edison State College

    Anything can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how you choose to deal with it. -Ted Heiks
    "The dinosaurs never saw that asteroid coming. What's our excuse?" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

  7. #7
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    8,087
    Quote Originally Posted by iquagmire View Post

    Would it be under EDUCATION or should I add another section for CERTIFICATES?
    I would say that it's best to put it under EDUCATION .

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    I would say that it's best to put it under EDUCATION.
    I agree with Randall and Kizmet. The reason is, at least for me, the Certification section refers to professional certification, which is different than the academic certificate you are going for. Of course, this may not be universal, but my own situation causes me to make that distinction.
    BA, Social Sciences ---- Thomas Edison State College

    Anything can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how you choose to deal with it. -Ted Heiks
    "The dinosaurs never saw that asteroid coming. What's our excuse?" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

  10. #9
    Maniac Craniac is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    punoɹɐ ƃuıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Posts
    5,530
    I really hope you don't mind me adding yet another (related, I promise!) question to your thread, but I have yet to figure out what to call a section that lists certificates that are non-academic and non-professional. For example, CPR certificates or non-credit course certificates?
    BA, Social Sciences ---- Thomas Edison State College

    Anything can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how you choose to deal with it. -Ted Heiks
    "The dinosaurs never saw that asteroid coming. What's our excuse?" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

  11. #10
    Randell1234 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    I really hope you don't mind me adding yet another (related, I promise!) question to your thread, but I have yet to figure out what to call a section that lists certificates that are non-academic and non-professional. For example, CPR certificates or non-credit course certificates?

    I have a section labeled
    Certifications:
    MCSE NT4.0, MCSA W2K, MCP+Internet, Network+, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, i-Net+, and Six Sigma Green Belt

  12. #11
    Go_Fishy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    335
    Randell, did UF give you one of those alumni ID codes when you received your certificate? I know certificate holders can become general Alumni Association members, but anyone can.

    Sorry for the off-topic.

  13. #12
    Randell1234 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Fishy View Post
    Randell, did UF give you one of those alumni ID codes when you received your certificate? I know certificate holders can become general Alumni Association members, but anyone can.

    Sorry for the off-topic.
    I don't remember getting one. I would say no.

  14. #13
    Go_Fishy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    335
    Hm. I'm two thirds done with my Teaching & Learning Online certificate and was hoping for some cool free UF stuff. I guess the certificate will have to do then.

  15. #14
    StefanM is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,345
    Certificate consisting of academic credit hours= Education

    Certificate consisting of specialized training or CEUs = Certifications

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    GeneralSnus is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Craniac View Post
    Here's another, not entirely off-topic, question. If one completes a post-grad certificate, is that person considered an alumnus of the school he received it from?
    In my opinion, it depends on if the certificate is transcripted. If it is and it is awarded as degrees are, then you are. I earned a graduate certificate from a different school in the same university I earned my bachelors degree at. The certificate was transcripted and gave me membership in the second school's constituent society in the university alumni association.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15