+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330

    Best way to study for the MAT

    I'm applying to a new doctoral program. This one is B&M and online blended, and actually makes you take an entrance exam! The nerve of some people! :)

    They give you the choice between the GRE and MAT. The only GRE testing center is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house and the MAT site is about 15 min. No question there which one to choose.

    But, wow, the MAT is a strange test. I've taken the GMAT, CBST, MSAT and a few others but the MAT is a different kind of fish. I usually do fine on standardized tests, so I'm not too worried, but I have only a week to prepare.

    Anyone have any tips on the MAT. I have the Kaplan study guide for it but is there a better way to prepare?
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  2. #2
    JBjunior is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    AK/NC/CT
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOliver View Post
    I'm applying to a new doctoral program. This one is B&M and online blended, and actually makes you take an entrance exam! The nerve of some people! :)

    They give you the choice between the GRE and MAT. The only GRE testing center is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house and the MAT site is about 15 min. No question there which one to choose.

    But, wow, the MAT is a strange test. I've taken the GMAT, CBST, MSAT and a few others but the MAT is a different kind of fish. I usually do fine on standardized tests, so I'm not too worried, but I have only a week to prepare.

    Anyone have any tips on the MAT. I have the Kaplan study guide for it but is there a better way to prepare?
    I am sure I know which school you are talking about (I just checked) and if so I am glad. I have no information on the MAT at all other than what I just looked up. If it is the school I think you are talking about then the score they require is only the "average" according to the MAT website so you might be able to take it cold. But according to wiki if you score in the 95th percentile you will be accepted into MENSA.

  3. #3
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
    I am sure I know which school you are talking about (I just checked) and if so I am glad. I have no information on the MAT at all other than what I just looked up. If it is the school I think you are talking about then the score they require is only the "average" according to the MAT website so you might be able to take it cold. But according to wiki if you score in the 95th percentile you will be accepted into MENSA.
    Oh yea, MENSA no problem. Me and Stephen Hawking hang out regularly, he is always asking me to explain astrophysical concepts to him. :)

    No, I'm actually talking about Liberty University. They offer a blended program that grants an EdS on the way to an EdD. I have the option of controlling how many on-campus vs online classes I take. Will have to fly out to Virginia a number of times, but that should not be too big of a problem. My wife loves that area and is planning to come with me.
    Last edited by SurfDoctor; 08-08-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  4. #4
    JBjunior is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    AK/NC/CT
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOliver View Post
    Oh yea, MENSA what a cool place to attend. Beautiful country, beautiful school...then I woke up! :)

    No, I'm actually talking about Liberty University. They offer a blended program that grants an EdS on the way to an EdD. I have the option of controlling how many on-campus vs online classes I take. Will have to fly out to Virginia a number of times, but that should not be too big of a problem. My wife loves that area and is planning to come with me.
    lol, I know. I was talking about Liberty as well. I am starting a MA there on the 23rd of this month that is why I knew you were talking about them when you said both the MAT and the GRE were possibilities. The MENSA thing was just something picked up off of wiki.
    Last edited by JBjunior; 08-08-2010 at 09:33 PM.

  5. #5
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    I know nothing of the MAT so I'll just say good luck! I was fortunate that my credentials allowed me to bypass taking the GRE. I would have taken it but I can't stand standardized tests. I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

    JBJunior, what's the MA program in and at what school? I start my MPS with Penn State on the 23rd as well. We'll have to keep each other up to date on how the classes are progressing.

  6. #6
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
    lol, I know. I was talking about Liberty as well. I am starting a MA there on the 23rd of this month that is why I knew you were talking about them when you said both the MAT and the GRE were possibilities. The MENSA thing was just something picked up off of wiki.
    I edited my reply to that so it would be more pithy. I had to look it up, I thought MENSA was a school! Duh!!
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  7. #7
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
    I know nothing of the MAT so I'll just say good luck! I was fortunate that my credentials allowed me to bypass taking the GRE. I would have taken it but I can't stand standardized tests. I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

    JBJunior, what's the MA program in and at what school? I start my MPS with Penn State on the 23rd as well. We'll have to keep each other up to date on how the classes are progressing.
    But yea, I'm pretty excited about the program. Also, if you notice where I earned my BA, you can see that I'm carrying on with the course I'm supposed to follow!

    It would be very cool to exchange Liberty experiences as we progress, I'm in.
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
    I know nothing of the MAT so I'll just say good luck! I was fortunate that my credentials allowed me to bypass taking the GRE. I would have taken it but I can't stand standardized tests. I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

    JBJunior, what's the MA program in and at what school? I start my MPS with Penn State on the 23rd as well. We'll have to keep each other up to date on how the classes are progressing.
    Another subject I'm ignorant in. What type of occupation do you pursue with an MPS?
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  10. #9
    JBjunior is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    AK/NC/CT
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
    I know nothing of the MAT so I'll just say good luck! I was fortunate that my credentials allowed me to bypass taking the GRE. I would have taken it but I can't stand standardized tests. I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

    JBJunior, what's the MA program in and at what school? I start my MPS with Penn State on the 23rd as well. We'll have to keep each other up to date on how the classes are progressing.
    It is a MAML. Master of Arts in Management and Leadership at Liberty University . 30 credits, 8 week terms, $250/credit hour (military), books will be a little less than $1000 total for the entire program.

  11. #10
    JBjunior is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    AK/NC/CT
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOliver View Post
    I edited my reply to that so it would be more pithy. I had to look it up, I thought MENSA was a school! Duh!!
    lol, no big deal.

  12. #11
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
    It is a MAML. Master of Arts in Management and Leadership at Liberty University. 30 credits, 8 week terms, $250/credit hour (military), books will be a little less than $1000 total for the entire program.
    Man, you military gentlemen get some great deals on your schooling. And you deserve it! Makes me wish I had been in the military.
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  13. #12
    soupbone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Ozette, Washington and Lubec, Maine
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOliver View Post
    Another subject I'm ignorant in. What type of occupation do you pursue with an MPS?
    This particular degree is first and foremost in Homeland Security with a heavy major in Public Health Preparedness. It covers topics like Epidemiology, the psychological effects of disasters, etc. To be honest the job market for this type of degree could range from local, state, and federal government all the way to places like theme parks (I love theme parks) who want someone to plan for emergency incidents.

    At this point I'm not sure where I'll go with it, but I would like to consider adjunct teaching . Since this field is not flooded with master's degree holders I stand a good chance of landing a teaching gig.

  14. #13
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
    This particular degree is first and foremost in Homeland Security with a heavy major in Public Health Preparedness. It covers topics like Epidemiology, the psychological effects of disasters, etc. To be honest the job market for this type of degree could range from local, state, and federal government all the way to places like theme parks (I love theme parks) who want someone to plan for emergency incidents.

    At this point I'm not sure where I'll go with it, but I would like to consider adjunct teaching. Since this field is not flooded with master's degree holders I stand a good chance of landing a teaching gig.
    Ahh, very cool. Sounds like a good plan. It also sounds like quite an interesting degree to earn.
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  15. #14
    JBjunior is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    AK/NC/CT
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOliver View Post
    Man, you military gentlemen get some great deals on your schooling. And you deserve it! Makes me wish I had been in the military.
    Quite a few schools offer great deals at the BA/BS level for military but few go as far as Liberty . $250/credit hour all the way up to their EdD and the PhD in Counseling that they offer for distance education .

    If my work situation still allows me time to go to school (if I don't get stationed on another ship) after I finish this MA then I will probably do the EdD just because of the cost.

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    SurfDoctor is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
    Quite a few schools offer great deals at the BA/BS level for military but few go as far as Liberty . $250/credit hour all the way up to their EdD and the PhD in Counseling that they offer for distance education .

    If my work situation still allows me time to go to school (if I don't get stationed on another ship) after I finish this MA then I will probably do the EdD just because of the cost.
    At that price, why not?
    Be satisfied with what you have, but never be satisfied with what you are.

  18. #16
    mikelynn77 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    I passed it in my first attempt because I chose to pass it and study with full devotion any kind of distraction is not good for your number if you want to get in good school than start now. Well to perform better in the exam a strategy and good reference study guides always a key to get good score you’ll also need to get a few MAT study guides and join online course for practices. First, go get all three MAT test study Guides. There you will find many unsolved practice paper which asked in the previous paper and then the smaller ones for grammatical, general and verbal English. They each have different questions, and you need to get as many different questions as possible. All the questions in each book come from actual, former tests. I passed it in my first attempt because I chose to pass it and study with full devotion any kind of distraction is not good for your number if you want to get in good school than start now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15