+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 21
  1. #1
    passionate is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    41

    University of Wales MBA programme

    Hi everyone,
    Someone suggested me university of wales MBA programme through distance education .There is an institution named RDI which offers online degrees from various UK universities, n this is one of them.Here is the link for it:

    www.rdi.co.uk

    I have no knowledge about UK universities .Anyone having idea/experience about ranking or grading of university of wales MBA degree.I know tht its a cheap option as the on campus MBA might cost me around 33k Pounds,whereas an online MBA will cost me around 5kPounds.I just need to know whether this MBA is worth of it.All useful suggestions will be welcomed.

  2. #2
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    8,160
    I don't know anything about rdi but if one of the U of W schools offers an online MBA then I'd wonder why you'd bother to go through a middleman in order to access that program. The university of Wales has several (6?) campuses. Checking out their websites for MBA programs should be a snap.

  3. #3
    Magister is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    26
    If you want something cheap and easy, this is a viable choice (after all, it is a legitimate degree). But don't expect any kind of meaningful recognition (for both US and UK). It is an unranked program and some sort of money spinning operation from the University of Wales.

    If you are interested in an UK MBA via distance learning/online studies, may I suggest:

    Aston Business School, Aston University (Accreditation: None)

    http://www.abs.aston.ac.uk/newweb/pr.../modesofstudy/

    School of Management, Bradford University (Accreditation: AMBA, EQUIS)

    http://www.brad.ac.uk/acad/managemen...lance&id=dlmba

    Durham Business School, Durham University (Accreditation: AMBA, EQUIS)

    http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/degrees/mba/mba_dl/

    Henley Business School, University of Reading (Accreditation: AACSB, AMBA EQUIS)

    http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/mana...earningmba.asp

    Edinburgh Business School, Heriot-Watt University (Accreditation: None)

    http://www.ebsglobal.net/programmes/...tance-learning

    Imperial College Business School (formerly Tanka Business School) (Accreditation: EQUIS)

    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospec...es/distancemba

    University of Leicester (Accreditation: AMBA)

    http://www.le.ac.uk/ulmc/dl_mba.html

    University of Liverpool (Accreditation: EFMD, CEL)

    http://uol.ohecampus.com/index.php?m...avigationid=75

    University of London External System (Accreditation: AMBA)

    http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/pros...ge/index.shtml

    Manchester Business School, University of Manchester (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS)

    http://www.mbs-worldwide.ac.uk/programmes/

    Open University Business School (Accreditation: AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS)

    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01F02

    Oxford Brookes University Business School (Accreditation: AMBA)

    http://www.business.brookes.ac.uk/mba/dl/

    Warwick Business School, University of Warwick (Accreditation: AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS)

    http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/mba/learn/dl.cfm

  4. #4
    passionate is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    41
    thanks both of you guys.actually the thing which attracted me towards this programme was its cost ,whereas I dnt think U of W directly offers a programme at this price but if its not a ranked programme n has a meaningful recognition then its useless to pursue as i need an MBA to go for a Phd in future by a Canadian school.Magistar can u plz recommend me which is the following programme is the best in terms of ranking ,accredition and obviously cost(around 5K pounds).thanks

  5. #5
    Magister is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    26
    I don't think you can find a respectable course with £5,000.

    Most good schools will cost between £10,000 to £20,000.

    Start saving today! :D

  6. #6
    wh431 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    23

    Correction

    minor correction.

    Aston University's MBA is AACSB, AMBA EQUIS accrediated and a very good Distance learning prog (DVD based).

  7. #7
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    8,160
    It seems that wh is correct but it would have been nicer if she had provided a link to substantiate her statement. Here it is

    http://www.abs.aston.ac.uk/newweb/press/

    Magister, take note.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    dl_mba is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    656
    Three times a year you must attend a study weekend here at Aston. Examinations also take place on-campus.

    Looks like its not really DL friendly. You need to go to the UK campus for exams and 3 times a year. Good for someone in UK.

    http://www.abs.aston.ac.uk/newweb/pr.../modesofstudy/


    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    It seems that wh is correct but it would have been nicer if she had provided a link to substantiate her statement. Here it is

    http://www.abs.aston.ac.uk/newweb/press/

    Magister, take note.

  10. #9
    JEEE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    I don't know anything about rdi but if one of the U of W schools offers an online MBA then I'd wonder why you'd bother to go through a middleman in order to access that program. The university of Wales has several (6?) campuses. Checking out their websites for MBA programs should be a snap.

    you are obviously clueless about the education system in the uk.

    the uni of wales is a FEDERAL university, it validates degrees from all its constituent colleges and many other private colleges in the uk that it works with in furtherance of higher education .

    so if you want to get a uni of wales degree, you have to go through a college be it private or public - you can go to any of its constituant colleges like bangor/lampeter etc but i doubt they offer it online. or you can do it via rdi which is working with the uni of wales to offer it online

  11. #10
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    8,160
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEE View Post
    you are obviously clueless about the education system in the uk.
    In fact, I am not clueless about the UK ed system although I'm far from being an expert. I don't mind saying, however, that I've never heard of rdi before. I have a certain amount of skepticism about the privatization of the online education components of state universities (if I may use that term). I prefer to deal with the university itself, not a middleman. Despite all that, I appreciate your ill-humored, and rude attempt to educate this board.

  12. #11
    JEEE! is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    In fact, I am not clueless about the UK ed system although I'm far from being an expert. I don't mind saying, however, that I've never heard of rdi before. I have a certain amount of skepticism about the privatization of the online education components of state universities (if I may use that term). I prefer to deal with the university itself, not a middleman. Despite all that, I appreciate your ill-humored, and rude attempt to educate this board.
    you insist you are not clueless yet every further post you make shows your ignorance.

    you cannot get a degree from federal universities like the uni of london or the uni of wales without studying at one of its partner colleges or "middlemen" like rdi or lampeter or kings college. the uni of wales and uni of london just validate degrees, you fail to realise that you cannot study at the federal uni itself and thefore must go through a "middlemen" or college to get a degree awarded by the uni of wales or london.

    you obviously have no idea of how british degrees are awarded. there are thousands of further education colleges like rdi in the UK that dont have degree awarding powers and award degrees from universities they work with through a process called validation. I think it would surprise you to know that top schools like london business school, queen mary, royal holloway, LSE and kings college cannot award their own degrees as they have no degree awarding powers, hence, they award degrees from the federal university of london. I think there are news of kings college and lse etc seeeking their own degree awarding powers but am not sure if they have gotten it as of 2009.

    They are not middlemen per se, because going by your reasoning, even the london school of economics , london business school, kings college (these are top unis in the world) would be "middlemen" awarding degrees from the federal university of london. they are not middlemen, they are partner colleges of the universities and these partner colleges play an important and integral part in education in the uk. they are accredited and quality is ensured through a stringent process of audits and moderators etc.

    .
    Last edited by JEEE!; 03-10-2009 at 10:09 PM.

  13. #12
    JEEE! is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    just to add on kizmet, i hope you now realise you cannot "deal with a federal university itself" without going through its partner colleges. Something which you have ignorantly termed as "middlemen".

    You are right, you are far from being an expert in the british education system. Perhaps you are an expert in the american one but definately not the british one. Please do not mislead the members of your own forum with your ignorance.
    Last edited by JEEE!; 03-10-2009 at 10:21 PM.

  14. #13
    Dave C. is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    337
    Just wanted to apologise to the American majority here. Some of us Brits can actually construct sentences and capatilise, not to mention engage in polite discourse.

    This JEEE! is obviously a troll and should best be ignored. Hopefully he'll go away soon, he's probably got to abuse some fellow illiterates on YouTube anytime now.

    Peace,

    Dave C.

  15. #14
    Magister is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    26
    JEEE!

    I don't see anything wrong with Kizmet feeling skeptical about the privatization of the distance/online education components of state universities. In fact, if there is a choice, I would prefer to deal with the university directly too.

    Kizmet did not say/imply that the Colleges of the University of London are 'middlemen'. This is your 'reasoning', not his. He was simply talking about RDI!

    In reality, RDI is a 'middleman'. You go through them to get access to a program or degree. They are a for-profit company. They provide you their services (e.g. the learning experience), take money from you, and then distribute part of it to the University of Wales.

    For your information, the top-4 constituent colleges of the University of London, namely, Imperial College (IC), King's College (KCL), London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and University College London (UCL) now ALL award their own degrees (and NOT the University of London degree). In fact, IC left the Federation for good. KCL, LSE and UCL, while remaining within the University of London for the time-being, have been awarding their own degrees since 2007/08.

    Hey, does it ever make you wonder why these colleges want to award their own degrees and not a University of London degree? Don't tell me it's a 'natural' progression!

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    JEEE!! is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Magister View Post
    JEEE!

    I don't see anything wrong with Kizmet feeling skeptical about the privatization of the distance/online education components of state universities. In fact, if there is a choice, I would prefer to deal with the university directly too.

    Kizmet did not say/imply that the Colleges of the University of London are 'middlemen'. This is your 'reasoning', not his. He was simply talking about RDI!

    In reality, RDI is a 'middleman'. You go through them to get access to a program or degree. They are a for-profit company. They provide you their services (e.g. the learning experience), take money from you, and then distribute part of it to the University of Wales.

    For your information, the top-4 constituent colleges of the University of London, namely, Imperial College (IC), King's College (KCL), London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and University College London (UCL) now ALL award their own degrees (and NOT the University of London degree). In fact, IC left the Federation for good. KCL, LSE and UCL, while remaining within the University of London for the time-being, have been awarding their own degrees since 2007/08.

    Hey, does it ever make you wonder why these colleges want to award their own degrees and not a University of London degree? Don't tell me it's a 'natural' progression!
    Magister, read Kizmet's comments about wishing to deal with the UOW directly then read my answer to him about how that is impossible because the UOW is a federal university.

    Call it and demean it as middleman if you want. The proper term is college or higher education partners.

    And yes , I am telling you that that is a natural progression for someconsitutent colleges of federal universities to leave the federal university! They start out as a small college awarding the federal university's degree. Over time, they gain repute, standing and enlarge their campuses and facilities. When they finally reach a stage where they desire more autonomy over their operations or feel that they are strong enough to award their own degrees, they apply to the privy council for degree awarding powers. Such is the case of imperial.

    It is sad that the replies I have read from a few morons (which I am sure is the small minority) are just name calling with no solid reasoning and logic in their posts. Anyway all that matters is the readers get served with the right information which I believe I have achieved.

    Ta ta! JEEE!!!!

  18. #16
    TomP is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    I don't mind saying, however, that I've never heard of rdi before. I have a certain amount of skepticism about the privatization of the online education components of state universities (if I may use that term).
    rdi have been around for ages. I'm studying the wales mba with them and its well put together and challenging. And i'm meeting some good people on their ilearn platform. I'm only on my first module but I can't fault them so far.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15