+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23
  1. #1
    TCord1964 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,860

    RA Schools Accepting NA Credit

    The question of which RA schools will accept transfer credit from NA schools seems to come up quite a bit, so I thought we could take a different approach. If you have attended a NA school, and were able to successfully transfer credit to a RA school, please list that school in this thread. PLEASE DO NOT post the list of the 150-300 schools that has been floating around on these message boards for years. IT IS NOT ACCURATE. Hopefully, we will get a very accurate list as a result of this threat -- one which will serve the members and readers of this message board.

    I'll start things off with a few schools that I know for a fact have accepted DETC credits or have a stated policy of considering NA transfer credits.

    University of Phoenix
    Peru State College
    Upper Iowa University
    University of Phoenix
    Western Governors University
    American Military University/American Public University System
    Liberty University
    BA in Communications - Excelsior College (in progress)
    Course work at Penn Foster College (3.85 GPA)
    Course work at Andrew Jackson University (4.0 GPA)

  2. #2
    SteveFoerster is online now Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    7,570
    Schools that are members of the Higher Education Transfer Alliance don't use accreditation type as a criterion for determination of acceptance of transfer credits. There are many regionally accredited schools listed.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  3. #3
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by TCord1964 View Post
    PLEASE DO NOT post the list of the 150-300 schools that has been floating around on these message boards for years. IT IS NOT ACCURATE.
    What is the deal with that list? How was it composed? How is it inaccurate?
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

  4. #4
    pugbelly is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    1,400
    There are MANY regionally accredited schools that take NA credit if also approved by ACE. I assume you are asking about the acceptance of non-ACE approved courses?

    Bellevue University
    University of North Alabama
    University of West Alabama
    Kaplan University
    Moody Bible Institute
    Jones Bible College


    Pug

  5. #5
    skidadl is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a different world...
    Posts
    749

  6. #6
    TCord1964 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Heiks View Post
    What is the deal with that list? How was it composed? How is it inaccurate?
    That list was compiled a few years ago, I believe. There are several RA schools on the list which do not accept NA credit.
    BA in Communications - Excelsior College (in progress)
    Course work at Penn Foster College (3.85 GPA)
    Course work at Andrew Jackson University (4.0 GPA)

  7. #7
    TCord1964 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by pugbelly View Post
    There are MANY regionally accredited schools that take NA credit if also approved by ACE. I assume you are asking about the acceptance of non-ACE approved courses?

    Bellevue University
    University of North Alabama
    University of West Alabama
    Kaplan University
    Moody Bible Institute
    Jones Bible College


    Pug
    That's true, but there aren't there aren't that many DETC schools which have their courses reviewed by ACE, for example.
    BA in Communications - Excelsior College (in progress)
    Course work at Penn Foster College (3.85 GPA)
    Course work at Andrew Jackson University (4.0 GPA)

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    pugbelly is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by TCord1964 View Post
    That's true, but there aren't there aren't that many DETC schools which have their courses reviewed by ACE, for example.

    Very true. Global University used to have its courses reviewed by ACE, but they've since dropped ACE and are now in RA candidacy.

  10. #9
    TheTick900 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    10
    AAS, SAP, ITT Technical Institute 2004
    BS, SET, ITT Technical Institute 2008
    MBA, Fontbonne University 2011
    DBA, Capella University (Pursuing)

  11. #10
    John Bear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Northern California.
    Posts
    5,657

    CoachTurner, are you there?

    The last time this topic came up, last fall, I reminded people of my 2000 research, when I got survey results from more than 300 registrars of RA schools . . . showing that about 20% accepted NA all the time, and 20% some of the time (in other words, situationally, which is why a list of such schools would not be all that useful).

    I hoped that someone would replicate and expand on my work, hopefully including "ACE evaluated" as a category . . . which I didn't.

    Coach Turner seemed seriously interested in doing this research, and a lot of good advice was offered.

    I wonder what then happened.

  12. #11
    CoachTurner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bear View Post
    The last time this topic came up, last fall, I reminded people of my 2000 research, when I got survey results from more than 300 registrars of RA schools . . . showing that about 20% accepted NA all the time, and 20% some of the time (in other words, situationally, which is why a list of such schools would not be all that useful).

    I hoped that someone would replicate and expand on my work, hopefully including "ACE evaluated" as a category . . . which I didn't.

    Coach Turner seemed seriously interested in doing this research, and a lot of good advice was offered.

    I wonder what then happened.
    He's still on it but got sidetracked a little by a course in media law that was whooping his tail. It's over now (final was this week) and I'm back to this one... :-)

    I have good questions and a solid list and now I need to get on getting my questions out to the list.
    -----
    Carson Turner
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    BA, Coastal Carolina University
    BSLS, Excelsior College
    MA, MBA, MA, Webster University
    MAIS, Western New Mexico University (due 2013)

  13. #12
    pugbelly is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by TCord1964 View Post
    The question of which RA schools will accept transfer credit from NA schools seems to come up quite a bit, so I thought we could take a different approach. If you have attended a NA school, and were able to successfully transfer credit to a RA school, please list that school in this thread. PLEASE DO NOT post the list of the 150-300 schools that has been floating around on these message boards for years. IT IS NOT ACCURATE. Hopefully, we will get a very accurate list as a result of this threat -- one which will serve the members and readers of this message board.

    I'll start things off with a few schools that I know for a fact have accepted DETC credits or have a stated policy of considering NA transfer credits.

    University of Phoenix
    Peru State College
    Upper Iowa University
    University of Phoenix
    Western Governors University
    American Military University/American Public University System
    Liberty University
    Are you sure that Peru State accepts NA credit? The following is taken from their website for the management degree program:

    Prerequisites

    Degree candidates must have a technical associate degree from a regionally-accredited institution or its equivalent in credits and life experience .



    Pug

  14. #13
    TCord1964 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by pugbelly View Post
    Are you sure that Peru State accepts NA credit? The following is taken from their website for the management degree program:

    Prerequisites

    Degree candidates must have a technical associate degree from a regionally-accredited institution or its equivalent in credits and life experience .



    Pug
    They do, indeed. I emailed them directly and asked them about the transferability of a degree from Penn Foster College. I specifically stated the degree is NA. Their response: "of course we will accept it. We don't want you doing the same work twice!"

    I believe Bellevue also has something on their web site about RA school requirements, but they also accept NA credit.
    BA in Communications - Excelsior College (in progress)
    Course work at Penn Foster College (3.85 GPA)
    Course work at Andrew Jackson University (4.0 GPA)

  15. #14
    skidadl is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a different world...
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by TCord1964 View Post
    They do, indeed. I emailed them directly and asked them about the transferability of a degree from Penn Foster College. I specifically stated the degree is NA. Their response: "of course we will accept it. We don't want you doing the same work twice!"

    I believe Bellevue also has something on their web site about RA school requirements, but they also accept NA credit.
    Many colleges have RA on the website, yet they would consider NA, I'm sure.

    I wouldn't automatically rule anyone out unless the language is really obvious.

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by TCord1964 View Post
    They do, indeed. I emailed them directly and asked them about the transferability of a degree from Penn Foster College. I specifically stated the degree is NA. Their response: "of course we will accept it. We don't want you doing the same work twice!"

    I believe Bellevue also has something on their web site about RA school requirements, but they also accept NA credit.
    I would think that what is written on their website would trump anything that is merely spoken.
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

  18. #16
    skidadl is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a different world...
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Heiks View Post
    I would think that what is written on their website would trump anything that is merely spoken.
    Many times the person that you are talking to on the phone has no idea what you are talking about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15