+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    beachhoppr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    139

    Angry Transferring out of Grand Canyon University....

    I have completed my 5th course in Grand Canyon University 's online MBA program and have had enough of that school.

    Therefore...I have done some due diligence and have decided to transfer to Florida Institute of Technology. They have a very fine online Masters of Science in Management that suits my needs. They will accept 4 of my 5 GCU courses which means I have just 7 courses left to complete the degree...far less that the 12 I have left at GCU . Once I finish the MSM, they will accept 6 of my MSM courses into their MBA program leaving just 6 courses for that degree.

    Basically, I can get an MSM degree as well as an MBA degree in 13 courses as opposed to an just an MBA at GCU with 12 courses. This from a better recognized institution (in my opinion).

    I will be happy to chat about the issues with GCU if so asked.
    A.A. - Florida State University (B&M)
    B.S. Business Administration - Nova Southeastern University (B&M)
    B.A. Liberal Studies - Thomas Edison State College (DL)
    B.E.E.T - Cleveland Institute of Electronics (DL) (in progress)
    ---
    Professional photographer, former Army medic, bad cook...

    [url=http://www.2floor.com/]Click to visit my Photography site[/url]

  2. #2
    TCord1964 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Transferring out of Grand Canyon University....

    Originally posted by beachhoppr
    I will be happy to chat about the issues with GCU if so asked.

    Do tell! What was the problem with Grand Canyon ?
    BA in Communications - Excelsior College (in progress)
    Course work at Penn Foster College (3.85 GPA)
    Course work at Andrew Jackson University (4.0 GPA)

  3. #3
    PhD2B is offline Dazed and Confused
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: Transferring out of Grand Canyon University....

    Originally posted by beachhoppr
    ...I have done some due diligence and have decided to transfer to Florida Institute of Technology. They have a very fine online Masters of Science in Management that suits my needs.
    I got my MS from Florida Tech while I was stationed at Fort Lee. My experience with them was excellent. Hopefully your experience will be the same. :)
    BS, Mathematics – Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP)
    MS, Operations Research – Florida Institute of Technology (FIT)
    MS, Information Systems – Dakota State University (DSU)

  4. #4
    Rivers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    289
    I would love to hear about your GCU adventure. As some people may be aware I spent a whole 5 days in GCUs program and I didn't like the set up !

  5. #5
    beachhoppr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    139
    I cannot speak for the B&M version of GCU . It may be a very good school. But their online program leaves much to be desired.

    1. It is virtually impossible to get in touch with anyone. You phone and no one answers. You leave messages and no one responds. You send emails and no one answers. It's pathetic.

    2. They have consistently screwed up my financial aid/tuition every semester.

    3. There have been major issues in some of the online classes (mine included) including: useless and unresponsive instructors, poor curriculum and so on.

    4. Forgetting they actually ARE a B&M school, they seem to be positioning themselves like AIU , UoP and the like...get them in, crank them out.

    5. Their website does not have the look and feel of a real university.

    6. Blackboard is a wreck. Images don't load, it's slow, sometimes you can't login and so on.

    After my experience and comparing notes to other students in my cohort, I cannot recommend GCU for an online MBA at this time.
    A.A. - Florida State University (B&M)
    B.S. Business Administration - Nova Southeastern University (B&M)
    B.A. Liberal Studies - Thomas Edison State College (DL)
    B.E.E.T - Cleveland Institute of Electronics (DL) (in progress)
    ---
    Professional photographer, former Army medic, bad cook...

    [url=http://www.2floor.com/]Click to visit my Photography site[/url]

  6. #6
    Rivers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    289
    Originally posted by beachhoppr
    I cannot speak for the B&M version of GCU . It may be a very good school. But their online program leaves much to be desired.

    1. It is virtually impossible to get in touch with anyone. You phone and no one answers. You leave messages and no one responds. You send emails and no one answers. It's pathetic.

    2. They have consistently screwed up my financial aid/tuition every semester.

    3. There have been major issues in some of the online classes (mine included) including: useless and unresponsive instructors, poor curriculum and so on.

    4. Forgetting they actually ARE a B&M school, they seem to be positioning themselves like AIU , UoP and the like...get them in, crank them out.

    5. Their website does not have the look and feel of a real university.

    6. Blackboard is a wreck. Images don't load, it's slow, sometimes you can't login and so on.

    After my experience and comparing notes to other students in my cohort, I cannot recommend GCU for an online MBA at this time.
    That is a shame! I can say I know for a fact that they are trying to position themselves as an UOP or AIU clone. In a previous thread I wrote:(http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthr...t=Grand+Canyon)
    *not that any one is interested in the old thread

    Originally posted by Rivers
    Just an update, I had to go through the procedure of dropping my classes at GCU (they conveniently register you automatically for your first classes). I found their” Enrollment Counselor" (salesman) confrontational when I told him I wanted out. He did ask why and I told him that the school seemed a bit too much like UOP to me. He then asked what other programs I was looking at and I mentioned some that I had considered like CSUDH, Mississippi state, TAMU-Commerce and Morehead. He basically told me that "ALL leaders in online schools follow this model", he then mentions AIU and UOP ". SO I then proceed to ask him what makes them leaders and he states enrollment (I guess for profit really is different). :(
    Not to be out done I then mention Baker College (the second largest Purveyors of MBA 's online). The conversation pretty much ended.

    On another note I am excited to be starting at Morehead at the end of next month!
    Also Black Board has had some issues lately. Up until Yesterday I had gotten a message on Morehead's BB about images not loading and what to do..today the message is gone.

    the rest seem like real issues, then again I know the online school uses mostly adjunct professors too, so that may be a big issue in unavailable professors(not that it is a good or legitimate reason!)
    Last edited by Rivers; 10-03-2005 at 07:14 PM.

  7. #7
    bullet is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    432

    keep going.............dale che !

    Keep listin'.

    I am familiar with a group that might have developed a professional training program in conjunction with GCU . After kants and re-kants, deadlines gone and past, negotiations, re-negotiations, drafts and visits.......................this group I am familar with tells a U.S.A. based associate, look these people are not serious.

    The USA based associate says: "YES THEY ARE, THEY ARE ACCREDITED" (like duh, that does that have to do with the price of eggs in china?).

    My answer to that expose was:

    I said: my friend; a group that does not return phone calls, that says one thing and does another, that does not honor its commitments...........etc......... may have the name university but the professionals that run it leave a very big hole in desire.

    All of the above written by BEACHHOPER does not surprise some of population of earth that have encountered this problem.
    Ole.

  8. Advertisement

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15