+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    PatsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    379

    Masters degree in Genealogy

    A friend of mine is interested in getting a masters degree in Genealogy. I don't have much knowledge of this field. Does anyone know of any graduate schools offering such programs?

  2. #2
    Jack Tracey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,093
    I've never heard of a degree in genealogy at any level.
    Maybe History ?
    Jack

  3. #3
    PatsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    379
    Originally posted by Jack Tracey
    I've never heard of a degree in genealogy at any level.
    Maybe History ?
    Jack
    Perhaps there is no such thing. I promised her sons I'd look. (They're trying to find a project for mom. lol). A lot of genealogical work is done in Salt Lake City, as well as at the National Archives. Perhaps history is the correct field of study. Thanks, Jack.

  4. #4
    Delta is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,045

    BYU

    Brigham Young University offers a in Certificate in Family History (Genealogy)


    http://ce.byu.edu/is/site/catalog/certificate.cfm

  5. #5
    CoachTurner is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    832
    I was once a member of the APG and am still an active genealogy hobbyist.

    I've also not heard of a legit DL grad degree specifically in genealogy. The program at BYU is probably among the most respected in the field aside from Board Certification. BYU also offers an undergrad degree in family history .

    Genealogists interested in graduate study usually lean toward one of the following fields:

    * History (particularly specializing in the area/period of their own research specialty)

    * Language/Area/Ethnic Studies (particularly that of the genealogist's area of research specialty)

    * Library Science (particularly for those interested in either ancient texts or archival science)

    * Anthropology (anthropology studies family groups in a manner that interests many genealogists. Some people claim that genealogy is a sub-field of anthropology )

    * English (writing) - the ability to communicate research findings is probably as valuable in the field as the ability to conduct the research.

    * MLA/MLS - many genealogists prefer the flexibility of the Master of Liberal Arts type programs...

    Genealogy and Family History is such an interdisciplinary field that a degree in just about anything can be related to the field.
    -----
    Carson Turner
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    BA, Coastal Carolina University
    BSLS, Excelsior College
    MA, MBA, MA, Webster University
    MAIS, Western New Mexico University (due 2013)

  6. #6
    PatsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    379
    Thanks, Delta and Coach. Helpful information. I'll let my friend know.

  7. #7
    marilynd is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    410
    PatsFan:

    I would simply echo what Coach said about graduate study. There is not, to my knowledge, a graduate degree available in the field. Nor will the fields that Coach mentioned provide much genealogical training, though they should provide important background information. Additional study--if one does not take the BYU undergrad route--will be necessary.

    One place your friend might look for this additional training is the Professional Learning Certificates in Genealogical Studies program, co-sponsored by the University of Toronto and the National Institute for Genealogical Studies (a Canadian organization). The courses are entirely DL, and the program is quite extensive.

    Good luck

    marilynd

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    PatsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    379
    Originally posted by marilynd
    PatsFan:

    I would simply echo what Coach said about graduate study. There is not, to my knowledge, a graduate degree available in the field. Nor will the fields that Coach mentioned provide much genealogical training, though they should provide important background information. Additional study--if one does not take the BYU undergrad route--will be necessary.

    One place your friend might look for this additional training is the Professional Learning Certificates in Genealogical Studies program, co-sponsored by the University of Toronto and the National Institute for Genealogical Studies (a Canadian organization). The courses are entirely DL, and the program is quite extensive.

    Good luck

    marilynd
    Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I'll pass on the information to my friend.

  10. #9
    marilynd is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    410
    Originally posted by PatsFan


    Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I'll pass on the information to my friend.
    I just realized that I didn't give you the URL for the Toronto program:

    http://plc.fis.utoronto.ca/c_genealogy.asp

    Also:

    http://www.genealogicalstudies.com/

    Ciao,

    marilynd

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15