+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 31
  1. #1
    kw_ATL is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Peach State
    Posts
    20

    Question Does an MBA really pay off?

    Hello everybody,

    I'm kind of new to these boards, but my thoughts are weighing heavy on my heart. I have decided to pursue my degree with the University of Dallas distance learning program. At first I had been very optimistic, but as of late I'm not so sure. I don't know about anybody else but the job market is still pretty bad. I have gone on so many interviews with no success. Now, I've made arrangements to go to the local unemployment office to have my resume critiqued. I hope they see something that I don't. Not trying to create a pity party, but I have no job with a small child that I have to take care of....it's so depressing. My degree won't be cheap and I'm wondering if it will be worth it to continue with it considering the state of the economy STILL. I certainly don't need another degree on the wall collecting dust!

    Can anyone honestly say that getting a Masters got them a better job or even a job at all????

    I need some answers.....

  2. #2
    guitarmark2000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    842

    Re: Does an MBA really pay off?

    Originally posted by kw_ATL
    Hello everybody,

    I'm kind of new to these boards, but my thoughts are weighing heavy on my heart. I have decided to pursue my degree with the University of Dallas distance learning program. At first I had been very optimistic, but as of late I'm not so sure. I don't know about anybody else but the job market is still pretty bad. I have gone on so many interviews with no success. Now, I've made arrangements to go to the local unemployment office to have my resume critiqued. I hope they see something that I don't. Not trying to create a pity party, but I have no job with a small child that I have to take care of....it's so depressing. My degree won't be cheap and I'm wondering if it will be worth it to continue with it considering the state of the economy STILL. I certainly don't need another degree on the wall collecting dust!

    Can anyone honestly say that getting a Masters got them a better job or even a job at all????

    I need some answers.....
    Welcome to the board. My $0.02:

    Assuming you're going for a job where an advanced degree is appropriate, all things being equal the person with the MBA will have an edge over someone else not having one. However, I think that experience and attitude mean a lot more than an advanced degree.

    What type of work are you looking for?

    Cheers,
    Mark
    BS General Business, Excelsior
    MBA, Indiana University
    MS MIS, University of Illinois at Springfield (25% complete)

  3. #3
    Mr. Engineer is offline member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Does an MBA really pay off?

    Originally posted by kw_ATL
    Hello everybody,

    I'm kind of new to these boards, but my thoughts are weighing heavy on my heart. I have decided to pursue my degree with the University of Dallas distance learning program. At first I had been very optimistic, but as of late I'm not so sure. I don't know about anybody else but the job market is still pretty bad. I have gone on so many interviews with no success. Now, I've made arrangements to go to the local unemployment office to have my resume critiqued. I hope they see something that I don't. Not trying to create a pity party, but I have no job with a small child that I have to take care of....it's so depressing. My degree won't be cheap and I'm wondering if it will be worth it to continue with it considering the state of the economy STILL. I certainly don't need another degree on the wall collecting dust!

    Can anyone honestly say that getting a Masters got them a better job or even a job at all????

    I need some answers.....
    A Masters from a named school (Harvard, Stanford, etc) will get you in the door. A Master's with experience from a second tier school (almost everything DL, etc) might get you in the door. I am working on my MBA from CSU -DH. If I didn't have the experience (and do Project Management already), I wouldn't expect to get in the door at a Fortune 100 company.

    My .02 - go into Nursing or Corrections. We will always have sick people or convicts (when all else fails)

  4. #4
    DTechBA is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    836

    What is your experience?

    If you are a recent undergrad an MBA won't do much for you right now. If you are not and are between jobs, go to a respected state school and save the $'s that a private school will charge you.

    There is a huge gray area between the great and the bad when it comes to MBA 's. In that area pick, the cheapest school that is known in your area. If you are doing distance learning there are others that are better rcognized and cheaper than their $23k price tag. UMass - Amherst is cheaper and AACSB accredited . UNebraska - Lincoln is much cheaper and AACSB accredited ..

    If you want a degree to get you a job you really need the best quality degree you can get. The MBA has a huge Brand element to it...

  5. #5
    JassenB is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    97

    Re: What is your experience?

    Originally posted by DTechBA

    If you want a degree to get you a job you really need the best quality degree you can get. The MBA has a huge Brand element to it...
    Don't almost all professional degrees have quite a bit of brand stigma attached, such as MBA , MPH , MPA , etc.?

    I would think that non-professional degrees, such as in the sciences, for example, would be less so.

    -JassenB
    BSAST, Thomas Edison State College (2004)

  6. #6
    edowave is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Does an MBA really pay off?

    Originally posted by kw_ATL
    Hello everybody,
    My degree won't be cheap and I'm wondering if it will be worth it to continue with it considering the state of the economy STILL. I certainly don't need another degree on the wall collecting dust!

    Can anyone honestly say that getting a Masters got them a better job or even a job at all????
    It really depends on what you are doing, what your experience is, and where you are doing it.

    I have an MBA from a school in Scotland that most people in the US have never hear of. My background has been in HR and I've been offered jobs in HR because I have that experience as well as an MBA . Will I be able to find work on Wall Street? I doubt it. I have no finance industry experience at all.

    If you don't have it already, you might want to look into certification in your area (CPA , CFA , PHR, MSCE), they are usually cheaper than a degree and get you membership in professional associations that have their own job banks. You might want to look into a cheaper MBA program too.
    BS, MS, PhD - University of Florida
    MBA - Heriot-Watt University
    Penn Foster - Home Remodeling and Repair (currently)
    Edinburgh Business School East Coast Alumni Ambassador

  7. #7
    dis.funk.sh.null is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    317
    I don't get it... I feel so energized through my MBA education , and have learnt so much that I couldn't possibly have without going through the MBA curriculum.

    Notice I say "education ", not degree! What's the point of getting a degree if you do not get any education with it. And if you did receive education , then it will eminate from within you; through your attitude; through your confidence! So do not feel threatened by the degree. The tuition (and any loans you have taken from financing institutions) is another matter.

    Let me ask you this. Are you married? Do you have children? If you do, then there might be a cause for concern because you will have to take care of your family as well. If that's not the case, then things will be easier for you. Needless to say, if you do not have any experience in the field, you would need to start from the bottom and work your way up (unless you graduated from Thunderbird or York University). A non-managerial position would be a good start. Or you may want to start your own business or a partnership with others who have the money, but are lacking the knowledge you have acquired.

    How much is the tuition at the University of Dallas? I mean, how much will it cost you in total?

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Michael Lloyd is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Mill Creek, Washington USA
    Posts
    388

    Re: Re: Does an MBA really pay off?

    Originally posted by edowave



    I have an MBA from a school in Scotland that most people in the US have never hear of.
    Edo, I have heard of it!
    Regards,

    Michael Lloyd
    Mill Creek, Washington USA

  10. #9
    qvatlanta is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    362
    Hello fellow ATLien,

    My advice to you is to not go for the MBA yet.

    It's my strong belief and my experience that you cannot seriously work on more than two main areas of your life at a time unless you are a superhuman being. The three main ones are 1) work and financial security 2) familial/social obligations and 3) education . If all three are pressing on someone then they will start slipping and failing in one of the three areas, and it usually turns out to be education . Sometimes if you rush into something, you will have to fall back and start all over again, and your completion of the goal will be delayed more than if you had waited a bit in the beginning.

    I think you need to determine your financial security before you start working on an advanced degree. Look for something that is as flexible as possible, but stable enough to stay in for a few years, and has healthcare benefits. It doesn't matter if it's a dead-end job in all other respects. When you are secure in that job, then you should start moving on to the MBA . Also, by then you will have more time to think about what kind of job you really want and how an MBA or other degree would help you move towards that goal.

  11. #10
    JassenB is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    97
    Originally posted by qvatlanta

    It's my strong belief and my experience that you cannot seriously work on more than two main areas of your life at a time unless you are a superhuman being. The three main ones are 1) work and financial security 2) familial/social obligations and 3) education . If all three are pressing on someone then they will start slipping and failing in one of the three areas, and it usually turns out to be education . Sometimes if you rush into something, you will have to fall back and start all over again, and your completion of the goal will be delayed more than if you had waited a bit in the beginning.

    I think you need to determine your financial security before you start working on an advanced degree. Look for something that is as flexible as possible, but stable enough to stay in for a few years, and has healthcare benefits. It doesn't matter if it's a dead-end job in all other respects. When you are secure in that job, then you should start moving on to the MBA. Also, by then you will have more time to think about what kind of job you really want and how an MBA or other degree would help you move towards that goal.
    I realize that this was directed at the original poster, but I wanted to thank you for sharing these insights. You sound like a counselor or something, and your points are very valid.

    I happen to be at a very similar point in my life in some respects, and am just trying to find a path for my career, regardless of whether it's ultimately the right path or not. :)

    Thanks!
    -Jassen
    BSAST, Thomas Edison State College (2004)

  12. #11
    kw_ATL is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Peach State
    Posts
    20

    Re: Re: Does an MBA really pay off?

    Originally posted by guitarmark2000
    Welcome to the board. My $0.02:

    Assuming you're going for a job where an advanced degree is appropriate, all things being equal the person with the MBA will have an edge over someone else not having one. However, I think that experience and attitude mean a lot more than an advanced degree.

    What type of work are you looking for?

    Cheers,
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

    Right now I'm looking for something that's a combination of a financial and sales position with management potential. That's pretty broad, but it takes in consideration my recent experience. The only reason why I'm even interested in sales is becasue I have been working in a sales job for the past 3.5 years. Before this I worked in the telecommunications field making about 70k and now I can't get anything. I agree with you that the right experience and attitude makes all the difference, but the past two years have been the worst of my life and the telecommunications industry is still not what it used to be. I have been thinking that an advanced degree in something new might give me a chance to at least land a job.

  13. #12
    kw_ATL is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Peach State
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by dis.funk.sh.null
    I don't get it... I feel so energized through my MBA education , and have learnt so much that I couldn't possibly have without going through the MBA curriculum.

    Notice I say "education ", not degree! What's the point of getting a degree if you do not get any education with it. And if you did receive education , then it will eminate from within you; through your attitude; through your confidence! So do not feel threatened by the degree. The tuition (and any loans you have taken from financing institutions) is another matter.

    Let me ask you this. Are you married? Do you have children? If you do, then there might be a cause for concern because you will have to take care of your family as well. If that's not the case, then things will be easier for you. Needless to say, if you do not have any experience in the field, you would need to start from the bottom and work your way up (unless you graduated from Thunderbird or York University). A non-managerial position would be a good start. Or you may want to start your own business or a partnership with others who have the money, but are lacking the knowledge you have acquired.

    How much is the tuition at the University of Dallas? I mean, how much will it cost you in total?
    ////////////////////////////
    ///////////////////////////

    Hi dis.funk.sh.null,

    No I'm not married and that's one of the reasons why I feel the urgent need to go back to college. Guilt and embarresment round out my other reasons. I'm afraid for my child that I won't be able to provide for her or if God forbid anything happens to me, I won't be able to leave anything behind to take care of her. I thought that going the DL route opened options for me without having to concern myself with the cost or hassle of having someone to look after her.

    Working from the bottom up is no problem, but I need expenses at least. There is a difference a dead end job and working my way from the bottom up. Those positions seem to be out of my grasp.

  14. #13
    kw_ATL is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Peach State
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by qvatlanta
    Hello fellow ATLien,

    I think you need to determine your financial security before you start working on an advanced degree. Look for something that is as flexible as possible, but stable enough to stay in for a few years, and has healthcare benefits. It doesn't matter if it's a dead-end job in all other respects. When you are secure in that job, then you should start moving on to the MBA. Also, by then you will have more time to think about what kind of job you really want and how an MBA or other degree would help you move towards that goal.
    Hi qvatlanta,

    Points well taken, but I feel like if I don't do this now, I may never get it done. Financial security is something I definately need, but I don't think I have the years to invest in another dead end job. I'm sure you've seen how the market has been here in Atlanta, it's terrible. Besides I'm 30 years old and I'm giving myself one last shot at making something of my life and I want to be well established by 35. No offense but I don't want to be middle aged and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

  15. #14
    guitarmark2000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    842

    Re: Re: Re: Does an MBA really pay off?

    Originally posted by kw_ATL


    Hi Mark,

    Right now I'm looking for something that's a combination of a financial and sales position with management potential. That's pretty broad, but it takes in consideration my recent experience. The only reason why I'm even interested in sales is becasue I have been working in a sales job for the past 3.5 years. Before this I worked in the telecommunications field making about 70k and now I can't get anything. I agree with you that the right experience and attitude makes all the difference, but the past two years have been the worst of my life and the telecommunications industry is still not what it used to be. I have been thinking that an advanced degree in something new might give me a chance to at least land a job.
    A couple of additional thoughts:

    1) If you feel you have the aptitude for sales, an undergrad will be more than sufficient to get started. Many in sales have only equivalent experience and no degree at all.

    2) Look into something that can map to telecommunications but isn't in telecommunications. For example, if you sold telco hardware, then an IT hardware firm will be familiar. Likewise for services, software, etc. There are always IT sales jobs open.

    3) Once you're established, or as one of your criteria, look at tuition reimbursement for continuing education . My company pays up to $5500 a year, and I plan to use this in going for my MBA .

    4) I've been gainfully employed in IT for 16 years, and at the same top software firm for 7-1/2 years. I still don't have my undergrad (although I'm now only 6 credits away). Don't let the lack of a MBA deter you from applying to jobs that say "MBA preferred". What HR says the criteria is and what the hiring manager decides is often different - and if you're the right candidate they will bend the rules...

    Good luck!

    Cheers,
    Mark
    BS General Business, Excelsior
    MBA, Indiana University
    MS MIS, University of Illinois at Springfield (25% complete)

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Ultimale is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    278

    It depends on you :)

    Originally posted by kw_ATL


    Hi qvatlanta,

    Points well taken, but I feel like if I don't do this now, I may never get it done. Financial security is something I definately need, but I don't think I have the years to invest in another dead end job. I'm sure you've seen how the market has been here in Atlanta, it's terrible. Besides I'm 30 years old and I'm giving myself one last shot at making something of my life and I want to be well established by 35. No offense but I don't want to be middle aged and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
    I can certainly sympathize with your situation. You mention a few different points: MBA , Career choice, Job, and Taking care of your child.

    The MBA is certainly a worthwhile goal. Is it worth the money at this time, while you are unemployed? Who knows? They certainly aren't cheap. Depending on costs, you also might want to consider other schools: www.Amberton.edu, U Nebraska @ Lincoln , CSUDH, to find out if they might meet your immediate financial needs a little better. As many posters have mentioned, an MBA would depend on what line of work you want to do. As for fulfillment, this again depends on what makes you happy. I too am pursuing my MBA , for many of the reasons you alluded to. Follow your heart.


    As Mark said, if you are good with people, you might consider sales such as real estate, lending, or a similar profession. I have a lot of friends in a similar situation and they got their teaching credential instead of a masters, so they could work while their child was in school.

    For your job hunting. Get aggressive. Be pro-active. Get a recruiter working for you. Many of the high paying, desirable jobs never make it to the newspaper. If you don't know any, You might want to perfect your resume and put it on Monster.com, and let them find you. Many of the good jobs come from recruiters, not newspapers or Monster.com. Be creative, and work on your personal presentation. Resumes get you in the door, presentations get you the job. If you feel like your self esteem, cofidence are low, then start reading books to get you out of the defeatest mindset. The wrong mindset will kill any chance of getting the job.

    there is a great section on getting the right job in Napolean Hills Think and Grow Rich. You can find it at any used book store. It's also a great book, many consider it the bible of creating your destiny.

    Keep your chin up, and keep swinging! Sit down and get clear on what YOU want. What lifestyle do you want to live? How many hours a week do you want to work? Where do you find fulfillment? What would you be excited to wake up and do for a living? Until you get really clear on you, finding the right job will be nearly impossible. Best of luck, and i know you'll make the right decisions.

  18. #16
    DTechBA is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    836

    Bingo

    Don't almost all professional degrees have quite a bit of brand stigma attached, such as MBA, MPH, MPA, etc.?
    Definately, especially law and medicine in addition to the MBA . However, I work for state government and I find that most people in management come from the state schools so while which school you got your degree from does come into play it is more a regional thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15