+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23
  1. #1
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59

    Teaching in Public Schools in Texas

    I am thinking about becoming a high school teacher here in Texas (Rio Grande Valley) through the alternative certification program. There seems to be a shortage of teachers here. Does anyone have more information about this?
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  2. #2
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,149
    I'm sorry but, information about ...what, specifically? Alternatve routes? Teaching , h.s. in general? Teacher shortages?
    American College of Sports Medicine

  3. #3
    Bruce is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,479
    You may already be aware of this program, but if not and for anyone else interested;

    Online Teacher Certification Program | Texas Teachers Alternative Certification
    --
    Bruce Tait
    A.S. (Criminal Justice) Quincy College
    B.A. (Criminal Justice) Curry College
    M.A. (Criminal Justice) University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    M.A. (Forensic & Counseling Psychology) Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
    Certificate (Investigative Psychology) CUNY-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

    MOOC's
    Certificate (Disability Awareness and Support in Higher Education) University of Pittsburgh
    Certificate (International Criminal Law) Case Western Reserve University
    Certificate (Psychology of Criminal Justice) University of Queensland
    Certificate (Classical Sociological Theory) University of Amsterdam



    RA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/16/08

    NA Criminal Justice Degrees by Distance Learning - Updated 3/20/08

  4. #4
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    13,305
    Quote Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
    I am thinking about becoming a high school teacher here in Texas (Rio Grande Valley) through the alternative certification program. There seems to be a shortage of teachers here. Does anyone have more information about this?
    If there's a shortage of teachers , then maybe someone needs to raise what they're paying.
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

  5. #5
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    I'm sorry but, information about ...what, specifically? Alternatve routes? Teaching, h.s. in general? Teacher shortages?
    Teacher shortages in Texas.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  6. #6
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    You may already be aware of this program, but if not and for anyone else interested;

    Online Teacher Certification Program | Texas Teachers Alternative Certification
    Thank you.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  7. #7
    sanantone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,454
    I'm in Texas, and I was temporarily in the iTeach program until I was accepted to a PhD program. The "desirable" districts tend to only hire those with alternative teacher certifications (those on a provisional license needing mentoring) for shortage areas such as chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science , ESL, special education , family consumer sciences, foreign languages, health science , and other technical/vocational subjects. School districts in rural areas and the inner-city with high percentages of economically disadvantaged students tend to have shortages across the board, so will hire those with alternative teach certifications in just about every subject.
    Texas State University - PhD CJ (ABD)
    Angelo State University - Master of Security Studies and Grad Cert Terrorism
    Thomas Edison State College/University - BA Soc Sci, AAS in Environmental Safety, ASNSM in Biology, & BSBA in CIS

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by sanantone View Post
    I'm in Texas, and I was temporarily in the iTeach program until I was accepted to a PhD program. The "desirable" districts tend to only hire those with alternative teacher certifications (those on a provisional license needing mentoring) for shortage areas such as chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, ESL, special education, family consumer sciences, foreign languages, health science, and other technical/vocational subjects. School districts in rural areas and the inner-city with high percentages of economically disadvantaged students tend to have shortages across the board, so will hire those with alternative teach certifications in just about every subject.
    Thank you! I am in the RGV (Rio Grand Valley for non-Texans). The TEXES tests look difficult.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  10. #9
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59

    I Passed 2 TEXES Content Exams!

    I passed both the Computer Science and Social Studies content examinations! I am now in an alternative certification program.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  11. #10
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
    I passed both the Computer Science and Social Studies content examinations! I am now in an alternative certification program.
    Congratulations. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

    I notice one of your master's degrees is from a DEAC-accredited school. Even though you have a master's from a regionally accredited school, (a) would the CCU degree have been sufficient for being recognized at that level and (b) was it helpful to you in some other way? We're always on the lookout for good anecdotes about people who've found their degrees from DEAC-accredited schools to be helpful.

  12. #11
    linbored is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
    I passed both the Computer Science and Social Studies content examinations! I am now in an alternative certification program.
    Which program did you end up going with?

  13. #12
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by linbored View Post
    Which program did you end up going with?
    Region One at Edinburg.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  14. #13
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Douglas View Post
    Congratulations. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

    I notice one of your master's degrees is from a DEAC-accredited school. Even though you have a master's from a regionally accredited school, (a) would the CCU degree have been sufficient for being recognized at that level and (b) was it helpful to you in some other way? We're always on the lookout for good anecdotes about people who've found their degrees from DEAC-accredited schools to be helpful.
    Thank you!

    All my degrees were considered valid. It seems the stipulation is that degrees must be either RA or NA from the Texas alternative certification website. Specifically, they must be accredited by an agency that is recognized by the US Department of Education . One of the legitimate agencies listed was DEAC on that website.

    However, when entering my degree information on Region One's website for prospective employment, the drop down box for the name of the school only contained a list of RA schools. There was the option of "Other" where I was able to enter my NA schools.

    When I interviewed with Region One to be formally accepted into their alternative certification program, my NA degrees were taken seriously. But I can't be sure that if I only had NA degrees I would not have encountered some pushback. I wasn't concerned since I have an RA Bachelor's and Master's.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  15. #14
    linbored is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    58
    I hope it went well. I was going to go that route but decided to go with the accelerated online MPA at UTRGV.

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59

    No Shortage of Teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by linbored View Post
    I hope it went well. I was going to go that route but decided to go with the accelerated online MPA at UTRGV.
    Yes, it went well. Certified to teach either computer science or social studies. Unfortunately, there seems to be a serious glut of teachers , NOT A SHORTAGE. Cannot find any teaching jobs. Have been to several interviews but the competition for them is fierce.

    Thinking about going back to the corporate world or retiring.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

  18. #16
    BusinessManIT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59

    Red face Back in the Corporate World

    Goodbye teaching ... Hello again corporate world. Just got a job as a customer service representative. Start training in two weeks. Apparently there is a shortage of customer service reps if they are willing to hire an old geezer like me so fast.
    BusinessManIT
    MA (Organizational Leadership), California Coast University, 2015
    MBA, City University of Seattle, 1996
    BS (Health Care Administration), California Coast University, 2013
    BS (Geography), Michigan State University, 1980

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for Specific Schools in Texas
    By Marvin1 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 06:50 AM
  2. K-12 Teaching in Texas With NA Degree
    By skidadl in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
  3. Texas Teaching Credential
    By joeljcastro in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
  4. Name recognition for MBA - Texas schools
    By Texascot in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 03:50 PM
  5. Big name Texas schools??
    By Ralphus in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197