+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 19
  1. #1
    Lilywise is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    21

    Online Masters Walden Vs. ACE Vs. University of Cumberlands

    Hello All,

    This is my first time posting so I apologize if this has been asked before. I have been looking at online Masters programs for about a year or so and have finally found some online schools that work for me. I have 3 options and I was looking to see if anyone has experience with the following 3 schools/programs. Also any reason why one would be better than the other? I do not have a teaching license nor am I really looking for one as I will be teaching overseas most likely. Most important factor for me is learning how to be a better teacher .


    Walden University-Accelerated M.S. in Education Accelerated Elementary Reading and Literacy (Grades PreK–6)
    Under 12K
    1YR

    American College of Education -
    Master of Education in Elementary Education
    (Under 8K)
    18months or less

    University of the Cumberlands (I am Muslim, will that be a problem?)
    Master of Arts in Teaching -
    Under 8K
    18Months or less

  2. #2
    damooster is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hanoi, Vietnam (US citizen)
    Posts
    45
    Hello,

    I can help with two areas:

    1. I am currently enrolled in the MSED (Accelerated) - Elementary Reading and Literacy program at Walden University. I am finishing up my second course, and so far, everything has been great. The instructors are very responsive and the materials are good. I like it much better than the other online schools I've attended. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

    2. I am currently teaching overseas. I did not think that I would need a teaching license, but it is becoming the norm. In fact, I am in an alternative teaching certification program. If you can, I would strongly recommend that you pursue a degree that leads to licensure. You'll save yourself a lot of headache in the future.

    Good luck.
    Education Specialist in Leadership - Liberty University - Currently enrolled
    Master of Science in Education - Walden University - Graduated 12-15-2015
    Master of Business Administration - Ashford University - Graduated 9-3-2012
    Bachelor of Arts in Sociology - Ashford University - Graduated 1-31-2011

  3. #3
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilywise View Post
    University of the Cumberlands (I am Muslim, will that be a problem?)
    No, it won't be a problem. It's a Christian school, but if you're okay with that then you being Muslim is fine.

    Given some previous speculation about this on this forum, I even called Graduate Admissions and asked this point blank just to be sure.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  4. #4
    mattbrent is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lottsburg, Virginia
    Posts
    1,601
    My first masters was through Walden. I really enjoyed my program. It was an MSEd in Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment. I enjoyed the 8 week class format and the structure of the program. My program would've taken my 2 years, but I took 2 classes each 8 week term to speed it up, mostly because my wife and I were going to have our first child. It was still manageable.

    Now I'm working on my PhD at the University of the Cumberlands. I can't speak to their masters programs, but I am very impressed with the doctoral program. It hasn't been overly religious, although some faculty members do mention Bible versus and whatnot. When they do, however, the verses are relevant to the discussion, so it's not like they're pulling it out of the blue. I have no complaints.

    -Matt
    BA in History - Christopher Newport University, May 2004
    MSEd (Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment) - Walden University, February 2008
    MAIS (History & Political Science) - WNMU, May 2011
    PhD in Leadership - The University of the Cumberlands, May 2017
    http://www.mattbrent.net

  5. #5
    Lilywise is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    21
    Thank you for your reply. I also was thinking about the teaching certification, I just do not know if I am able to fully commit to that right now. Is there a lot of classroom activities (teaching time) required in the program? I am currently not teaching but I am able to do classroom activities with my local elementary school on a weekly basis if needed.

  6. #6
    Lilywise is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    No, it won't be a problem. It's a Christian school, but if you're okay with that then you being Muslim is fine.

    Given some previous speculation about this on this forum, I even called Graduate Admissions and asked this point blank just to be sure.
    I have no problem that they are a Christian University. I am just worried that the professors might have a problem with me since I have an obvious Middle Eastern Muslim name.

  7. #7
    Lilywise is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrent View Post
    My first masters was through Walden. I really enjoyed my program. It was an MSEd in Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment. I enjoyed the 8 week class format and the structure of the program. My program would've taken my 2 years, but I took 2 classes each 8 week term to speed it up, mostly because my wife and I were going to have our first child. It was still manageable.

    Now I'm working on my PhD at the University of the Cumberlands. I can't speak to their masters programs, but I am very impressed with the doctoral program. It hasn't been overly religious, although some faculty members do mention Bible versus and whatnot. When they do, however, the verses are relevant to the discussion, so it's not like they're pulling it out of the blue. I have no complaints.

    -Matt
    Thank you for very much for your reply. Was there a lot of classroom teaching time required for your Masters at Walden? I am currently not teaching and will not be during my Masters.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Lilywise is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by damooster View Post
    Hello,

    I can help with two areas:

    1. I am currently enrolled in the MSED (Accelerated) - Elementary Reading and Literacy program at Walden University. I am finishing up my second course, and so far, everything has been great. The instructors are very responsive and the materials are good. I like it much better than the other online schools I've attended. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

    2. I am currently teaching overseas. I did not think that I would need a teaching license, but it is becoming the norm. In fact, I am in an alternative teaching certification program. If you can, I would strongly recommend that you pursue a degree that leads to licensure. You'll save yourself a lot of headache in the future.

    Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply. I also was thinking about the teaching certification, I just do not know if I am able to fully commit to that right now. Is there a lot of classroom activities (teaching time) required in the program? I am currently not teaching but I am able to do classroom activities with my local elementary school on a weekly basis if needed.

  10. #9
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Not knowing the OP’s reason/s for selecting /restricting options to the three listed universities; even so, there are many economically priced education master programs. Merely one example:

    Lamar University (a B&M State University whose teacher education programs are additionally NCATE accredited /now transitioning into the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)): 36-hour program/s @$250 /credit hour (e.g., $9000).

    Degree Programs | Lamar University Online
    Tuition and Fees - Online Degree Program | Lamar University Online
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  11. #10
    Lilywise is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by major56 View Post
    Not knowing the OP’s reason/s for selecting /restricting options to the three listed universities; even so, there are many economically priced education master programs. Merely one example:

    Lamar University (a B&M State University whose teacher education programs are additionally NCATE accredited /now transitioning into the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)): 36-hour program/s @$250 /credit hour (e.g., $9000).

    Degree Programs | Lamar University Online
    Tuition and Fees - Online Degree Program | Lamar University Online
    Thanks for your reply. I looked at Lamar but it did not have the program I was looking for. I am more interested in classes that help me learn useful teaching methods vs C&I or Leadership. I do not have an undergrad in Education so I wanted something to help me effectively in the classroom.
    BA in Human Development and Family Studies (Option: Early Childhood), Purdue University 2012

  12. #11
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilywise View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I also was thinking about the teaching certification, I just do not know if I am able to fully commit to that right now. Is there a lot of classroom activities (teaching time) required in the program? I am currently not teaching but I am able to do classroom activities with my local elementary school on a weekly basis if needed.
    If K-12 /EC-12 are the teaching area of emphasis; the standalone M.A.T. degree that lacks a teacher certification track is unlikely to meet very few, if any, long term teaching career goals and/or make you a competitive or even eligible teacher candidate. Even in an expatriate teaching assignment ... most expat teacher applicants you'll be competing with will be credentialed, e.g., certified /licensed teachers .

    As an additional option … you may want to consider an alternative teacher certification /post-baccalaureate university based program. Either way, either the M.A.T. with certification track or the alternative certification program will both entail a teacher /teaching internship in addition to coursework prerequisites.
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  13. #12
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Another, leading to teacher licensure, post-baccalaureate or Master’s program option you might wish to consider too:
    Online Teaching Degrees | WGU Teachers College | Online Teaching Degree
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  14. #13
    mattbrent is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lottsburg, Virginia
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilywise View Post
    Thank you for very much for your reply. Was there a lot of classroom teaching time required for your Masters at Walden? I am currently not teaching and will not be during my Masters.
    The program I did was not a licensure program, so I did not do any student teaching . I was already a full-time teacher when I started the program.

    -Matt
    BA in History - Christopher Newport University, May 2004
    MSEd (Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment) - Walden University, February 2008
    MAIS (History & Political Science) - WNMU, May 2011
    PhD in Leadership - The University of the Cumberlands, May 2017
    http://www.mattbrent.net

  15. #14
    mattbrent is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lottsburg, Virginia
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilywise View Post
    I have no problem that they are a Christian University. I am just worried that the professors might have a problem with me since I have an obvious Middle Eastern Muslim name.
    I doubt it. Assuming things about someone simply because of their name is a bit childish, in my opinion. I will say that in my program, we've had students from all over. In one of my courses there was a student from China. She was a trooper, too, consider that due to the time differences the classes were not held at an optimal time for her.

    -Matt
    BA in History - Christopher Newport University, May 2004
    MSEd (Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment) - Walden University, February 2008
    MAIS (History & Political Science) - WNMU, May 2011
    PhD in Leadership - The University of the Cumberlands, May 2017
    http://www.mattbrent.net

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrent View Post
    The program I did was not a licensure program, so I did not do any student teaching . I was already a full-time teacher when I started the program.

    -Matt
    Matt were you were teaching at postsecondary /higher education level (which would clarify the non-need for a teacher certification track M.A.T) vs. the secondary public school level? If on the other hand you were teaching at the secondary (K-12 public school) level; you likely would have been on an emergency teacher permit /certification (e.g., school districts are authorized to fill teaching vacancies with emergency certification applicants) ... permit request based on your academic degree/s qualification re the classroom subject area teaching .

    I certainly can’t speak for other states /school districts, but in Texas … emergency / temporary permits (certification) are only permissible [if] the classroom teacher has a pertinent degree and necessary qualifications for a district teaching position in the subject area to be taught, AND the school district cannot find a qualified /certified teacher applicant. Nonetheless, all states must comply with NCLB, e.g., Highly Qualified Teachers New No Child Left Behind Flexibility: Highly Qualified Teachers Moreover in Texas, emergency /temporary teacher permits are only valid for a single academic school year.
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  18. #16
    Neuhaus is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    2,706
    Quote Originally Posted by major56 View Post
    Matt were you were teaching at postsecondary /higher education level (which would clarify the non-need for a teacher certification track M.A.T) vs. the secondary public school level? If on the other hand you were teaching at the secondary (K-12 public school) level; you likely would have been on an emergency teacher permit /certification (e.g., school districts are authorized to fill teaching vacancies with emergency certification applicants) ... permit request based on your academic degree/s qualification re the classroom subject area teaching .

    I certainly can’t speak for other states /school districts, but in Texas … emergency / temporary permits (certification) are only permissible [if] the classroom teacher has a pertinent degree and necessary qualifications for a district teaching position in the subject area to be taught, AND the school district cannot find a qualified /certified teacher applicant. Nonetheless, all states must comply with NCLB, e.g., Highly Qualified Teachers New No Child Left Behind Flexibility: Highly Qualified Teachers Moreover in Texas, emergency /temporary teacher permits are only valid for a single academic school year.
    Keep in mind that different states have different guidelines for teaching in non-public schools. And different states have different guidelines for how non-public teaching is treated if you ever want to teach in a public school.

    Under one of the alternative pathways for teacher certification in New York you can waive student teaching if you taught in certain private or religious schools without a license.

Similar Threads

  1. University of the Cumberlands EdD: Yeah, I enrolled
    By SteveFoerster in forum Education, Teaching and related degrees
    Replies: 249
    Last Post: 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM
  2. University of the Cumberlands: New Program Coming
    By mattbrent in forum Education, Teaching and related degrees
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM
  3. I love Walden University - online PhD
    By emptynestmom in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2014, 12:34 PM
  4. Does University of the Cumberlands require religious activities of its students?
    By Pelican in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-14-2014, 06:17 AM
  5. Walden University Phd programs online
    By DayKap in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 06:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15