+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ioniancat21 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4

    Old man now a newbie...

    I work in the field of Information Technology for over 20 years and I'm currently working in Information Security . I started my degree over 20 years ago at one of the CUNY schools and earned around 70+ credits and then just stopped there since I earned my MCSE for Windows 2000 back then and my certification at that time was more valuable than the degree and it earned me a ton of accolades and I continued that course and added A+, N+, MCDBA and MCITP in both Enterprise and Server Administration so I have a ton of certs. I am still employed but figured it would be a plus to have the degree and further, it may open some additional opportunities consulting.

    Getting to my quetion, I wanted you all to advise me on what would be the fastest path to completing the degree with an online degree program. I wanted to use a regionally accredited school so my thoughts were to look at the Big 3 as they have put it all these years as it seems to offer the quickest path to that goal. I don't believe I need a degree in CS but it would be nice if it's available.

    Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to give as much info so people could evaluate my boat in the easiest fashion. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

  2. #2
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,858
    Quote Originally Posted by ioniancat21 View Post
    I work in the field of Information Technology for over 20 years and I'm currently working in Information Security . I started my degree over 20 years ago at one of the CUNY schools and earned around 70+ credits and then just stopped there since I earned my MCSE for Windows 2000 back then and my certification at that time was more valuable than the degree and it earned me a ton of accolades and I continued that course and added A+, N+, MCDBA and MCITP in both Enterprise and Server Administration so I have a ton of certs. I am still employed but figured it would be a plus to have the degree and further, it may open some additional opportunities consulting.

    Getting to my quetion, I wanted you all to advise me on what would be the fastest path to completing the degree with an online degree program. I wanted to use a regionally accredited school so my thoughts were to look at the Big 3 as they have put it all these years as it seems to offer the quickest path to that goal. I don't believe I need a degree in CS but it would be nice if it's available.

    Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to give as much info so people could evaluate my boat in the easiest fashion. Thanks for any help you all can provide.
    I was in almost the exact same situation in 2003 -- had MCSE and about 69 credits from various schools. I took some CLEPs and a few (two?) courses and wrapped it up into a BS from Charter Oak . I did the Information Systems concentration rather than Computer Science , it made a lot better use of the credit I'd accumulated. It took maybe a year, but once I had a competition path I wasn't racing through it.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  3. #3
    ioniancat21 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    I was in almost the exact same situation in 2003 -- had MCSE and about 69 credits from various schools. I took some CLEPs and a few (two?) courses and wrapped it up into a BS from Charter Oak. I did the Information Systems concentration rather than Computer Science, it made a lot better use of the credit I'd accumulated. It took maybe a year, but once I had a competition path I wasn't racing through it.
    Thanks for the information!!! Let me ask you, does COSC actually give courses or are they a credit bank like Excelsior and others. I'd like to keep it simple and not have to go school to school hunting for courses. Thanks again!!!

  4. #4
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    IIRC, the Big Trey all have time limits on credit acceptance and the techie courses/certs time limit may be as little as five years.

  5. #5
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,858
    Quote Originally Posted by decimon View Post
    IIRC, the Big Trey all have time limits on credit acceptance and the techie courses/certs time limit may be as little as five years.
    That's true. I suppose it makes deciding among them a lot easier if one says yes and the others say no....
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  6. #6
    sanantone is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,460
    You might also want to look at the self-paced programs at WGU , Hodges , Northern Arizona University, Brandman University , or (God forbid) Capella . I think University of Wisconsin might have something self-paced and in IT, but they're a lot more expensive for out-of state students. WGU includes certs in the cost of tuition if you're interested in earning additional ones.
    Texas State University - PhD CJ (ABD)
    Angelo State University - Master of Security Studies and Grad Cert Terrorism
    Thomas Edison State College/University - BA Soc Sci, AAS in Environmental Safety, ASNSM in Biology, & BSBA in CIS

  7. #7
    decimon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by ioniancat21 View Post
    Thanks for the information!!! Let me ask you, does COSC actually give courses or are they a credit bank like Excelsior and others. I'd like to keep it simple and not have to go school to school hunting for courses. Thanks again!!!

    All of three schools have their own courses.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    ioniancat21 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4
    I think the one good thing in my favor is that the courses I did complete in college were mostly required ones where things haven't changed much such as English. At that time I didn't start a major since I still was undecided on what I would do in life. It is disheartening to see there are time limits on these things though and hopefully I don't have a situation where they don't accept any of those 70+ credits which would force me to go back to that school to complete it or redo it all again.

    I'll look around at their requirements and figure it out. Worst case, there may be a tradeoff and perhaps get my degree some a university where they have another accreditation that is less strict. My experience will far outweigh my degree as it always has but there are some jobs that list degreee as a requirement and just buying the paper allows me to apply which opens up more opportunity...

  10. #9
    jhp
    jhp is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    604
    Look into Wilmington University of Wilmington, DE.

    They are regionally accredited (Middle States Commission on Higher Education )
    Reasonably priced ($363/credit)
    Accept several certificates as equivalent - (have taken three certs)
    Allow to challenge courses for a fraction of the full course rate - did three so far
    Have accelerated online courses (7 weeks) - done most of my classes like this
    Took my credits from 1983 (about 40 of them)
    They ake CLEP, ACE, etc.
    If you are nearby, they also offer "module" courses. Two full (Fri afternoon, all Sat, all Sun) weekends over 4 weeks for the entire class (did two classes)
    Last edited by jhp; 07-18-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: correction

  11. #10
    ioniancat21 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4
    Great information, thanks for this!! I've been very lucky with my career to have the ability to get my degree not under pressure like some who need their degree or they have no career. I'll be satisfied just completing this since it always bothered me that I didn't back then...

Similar Threads

  1. Hey, another newbie
    By Dan in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
  2. Newbie
    By Brez in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
  3. Another newbie
    By cipb1215 in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2001, 12:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197