+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 1 Year PhD/DBA

  1. #1
    steveneurope is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    36

    1 Year PhD/DBA

    Hi Guys!

    I am a professional with 8+ years business experience.

    I would like to complete a PhD/DBA and get into education .

    I am currently asking myself what might be the best way to get a PHD.

    I was considering a PhD by Published work or a PhD by Future Publishing Works.

    I have around 20-30 online articles published on respectable media, journal and newspapers. In order to be admitted, how would you suggest me to proceed? Do you think my 20-30 online articles might be enough or should I write a book or something else?

    Thanks for your suggestion!

  2. #2
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    13,355
    PhD/DBA in one year? Sounds suspicious to me.
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

  3. #3
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,891
    Quote Originally Posted by steveneurope View Post
    Hi Guys!

    I am a professional with 8+ years business experience.

    I would like to complete a PhD/DBA and get into education .

    I am currently asking myself what might be the best way to get a PHD.

    I was considering a PhD by Published work or a PhD by Future Publishing Works.

    I have around 20-30 online articles published on respectable media, journal and newspapers. In order to be admitted, how would you suggest me to proceed? Do you think my 20-30 online articles might be enough or should I write a book or something else?

    Thanks for your suggestion!
    "Published works" specifically means articles published in peer-reviewed scholarly journals.

    What do you want to do in education ?
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  4. #4
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    Quote Originally Posted by steveneurope View Post
    how would you suggest me to proceed?
    I suggest that you read through the thread below then I suggest that you read the rest of the threads on PhD/DBA programs then I suggest that you choose several of the schools you like the most and apply for admission. Also, you haven't said that you have an MBA so I'm assuming that you don't. I think it's a requirement for some doctoral programs. Also, eight years experience in business means you're not a rookie but it's also not "knock me out of my chair" impressive. I know a guy with 5 years experience in business (working at Dick's Sporting Goods) and I'm not sure that's going to get him into a PhD program. And as Steve said, newspapers/media articles don't count.

    Lowest Cost PHD/DBA
    American College of Sports Medicine

  5. #5
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    American College of Sports Medicine

  6. #6
    steveneurope is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thanks guys.

    I have been in touch with many Universities, some of them told me that a published book (as soon as it is public and with a ISBN code might be enought).

    Some others told me I need publications in high ranking international business journals.

    How to get them?????

  7. #7
    RFValve is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    4,345
    [QUOTE=steveneurope;499875]Thanks guys.

    I have been in touch with many Universities, some of them told me that a published book (as soon as it is public and with a ISBN code might be enought).

    Some others told me I need publications in high ranking international business journals.

    How to get them?????[/QUOTE
    You can check the ranking of the journals with the search engine below. A good article in a good journal is going to take at least 3 years. To be quite honest, it is easier to enroll in a PhD and do it the traditional way than getting published 3 to 4 articles in good journals. The other issue is finding a supervisor that is willing to take you as an outsider, most of the PhD candidates for publication are already lecturers at the school in question.
    I went this route and finally found a supervisor, the supervisor told me that this would take at least 2 years even with the publications. Finally the supervisor deferred me for one year due to overload so I withdrew at the end.
    This is not a shortcut nor an easier way to get a legit PhD.

    Scimago Journal & Country Rank

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Neuhaus is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by steveneurope View Post
    Thanks guys.

    I have been in touch with many Universities, some of them told me that a published book (as soon as it is public and with a ISBN code might be enought).

    Some others told me I need publications in high ranking international business journals.

    How to get them?????
    Yes, it might be enough. However, the bulk of schools offering this degree are pretty clear as to their expectations; they want a body of peer reviewed published work. "Respectable media" does not qualify. Writing sections of the encyclopedia would not qualify.

    But you're also talking about this stuff so casually that I get the impression you don't fully appreciate the difficulty involved. Self-publishing a book on Amazon isn't going to help you get a PhD from any legitimate school. They might well consider something that was published, well sourced and well received in your field. If you have the ability to quickly and easily get a business book published through a reputable publisher then it sounds like you could easily pursue certain academic jobs without a PhD at all.

    You are also not going to be able to just run out and publish a large body of work in reputable journals in a short time frame.

    All of those published works need to be tied together for the PhD by publication. You need to write a paper that unifies all of your previously published work. So if you're just writing things randomly to get published it likely won't pass muster.
    M.B.A. University of Scranton (Anticipated 2019)
    M.S.M. (Project Management) University of Management and Technology
    B.S.O.L. Thomas Edison State University
    B.S.B.A. Colorado Technical University
    A.A. University of Scranton
    Certificate in Human Resources Management - Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations
    Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS)
    Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)

  10. #9
    RFValve is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuhaus View Post

    But you're also talking about this stuff so casually that I get the impression you don't fully appreciate the difficulty involved. Self-publishing a book on Amazon isn't going to help you get a PhD from any legitimate school. .
    A published book means normally an academic book published by a recognized publisher such as Wiley or Springer. Springer or Wiley are not going to take a book from you unless you are already an established authority in the field.

    Again, this type of doctorates are not quickies, they are mainly meant for established academics that just need the PhD title but not for the average Joe with 40 online blog articles.

    Bear in mind that in the UK, many academics start with a MSc and not a PhD like in the US mainly because the salaries in the UK for academics are very low so it is not so easy to attract PhDs.

    In few words, you will find that it is a lot easier just to write a PhD from scratch rather convincing Springer or Wiley that you are a genious to publish your book or publish in journals of the caliber of Management Science or other top journals that normally require 3 years of full time research work.

  11. #10
    FTFaculty is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by RFValve View Post
    In few words, you will find that it is a lot easier just to write a PhD from scratch rather convincing Springer or Wiley that you are a genious to publish your book or publish in journals of the caliber of Management Science or other top journals that normally require 3 years of full time research work.
    Probably so. I have four articles in peer-reviewed academic journals in the last six years and would consider myself a pretty marginal candidate for a PhD by Pubs. Would have to do a lot of work to get there with something even remotely ready for review for a PhD by Pubs. One thing: not all pubs take three years to get to market, so to speak. I know some hotshots in my field who can crank something out and get a hit in six months. Now that is research into an area in which they're already one of the top experts in their fields. I'd think, though, that anyone who was really motivated could learn how to produce academic research (does not require you be a genius, otherwise people like me need not apply) and become an expert in a particular branch of a particular field and produce the work necessary to be awARDED SUCH A DEGREE. bUT AS HAS BEEN POINTED OUT, IT'D PROBABLY BE QUICKER, EASIER, AND A MORE CERTAIN PATH TO JUST DO THE NORMAL pHd. (Oops, sorry for the caps. not trying to shout)

  12. #11
    RFValve is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by FTFaculty View Post
    Probably so. I have four articles in peer-reviewed academic journals in the last six years and would consider myself a pretty marginal candidate for a PhD by Pubs. Would have to do a lot of work to get there with something even remotely ready for review for a PhD by Pubs. One thing: not all pubs take three years to get to market, so to speak. I know some hotshots in my field who can crank something out and get a hit in six months. Now that is research into an area in which they're already one of the top experts in their fields. I'd think, though, that anyone who was really motivated could learn how to produce academic research (does not require you be a genius, otherwise people like me need not apply) and become an expert in a particular branch of a particular field and produce the work necessary to be awARDED SUCH A DEGREE. bUT AS HAS BEEN POINTED OUT, IT'D PROBABLY BE QUICKER, EASIER, AND A MORE CERTAIN PATH TO JUST DO THE NORMAL pHd. (Oops, sorry for the caps. not trying to shout)
    I agree that you don't need to be a genius to get a PhD by pubs but it is not something that you can get in one year as the OP suggests. The OP has the idea that published work means articles in magazines and other popular media such as blogs or web sites. PhD by publication are normally granted for peer reviewed articles in scholar journals. I mentioned 3 years per article because this has been the longest that has taken me from scratch to market but some others might take 6 months if the journal is low ranked and the research is short.

    You also need to put the dissertation together and defend it. I would think that 4 to 6 year is more realistic but this is the same time that takes to get a regular PhD.

  13. #12
    FTFaculty is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by RFValve View Post
    I agree that you don't need to be a genius to get a PhD by pubs but it is not something that you can get in one year as the OP suggests. The OP has the idea that published work means articles in magazines and other popular media such as blogs or web sites. PhD by publication are normally granted for peer reviewed articles in scholar journals. I mentioned 3 years per article because this has been the longest that has taken me from scratch to market but some others might take 6 months if the journal is low ranked and the research is short.
    ...or the person is an outright expert in their field and their article is just a permutation of another. There's a fellow, Robert McGee, in accounting ,who has published over 500. Not all in lower tier journals, either. He posted here a few years back. But on the whole, I know what you're saying and agree. It's about peer-reviewed pubs, not about any old article. It's about academic research, a totally different animal. They'd laugh at a person's attempt to get them to validate a blog article.

  14. #13
    RFValve is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by FTFaculty View Post
    There's a fellow, Robert McGee, in accounting,who has published over 500. .
    I know him, he has several PhDs and some are from top schools. He did mention that none of his PhDs were by publication but by the traditional way.
    Apparently his multiple PhDs are not seen as a good thing in academia, he mentioned that he had problems with his previous employer because of this. Even though he is a star, he works at a modest University but this might be personal preference.

    There is another person's CV that was published with more than 10 doctorates but all of them from unaccredited places. Some schools would just grant you a PhD for a short thesis but obviously unaccredited but there is a strong market for this.

Similar Threads

  1. Two Year Ed.D.
    By Gabe F. in forum Education, Teaching and related degrees
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2017, 10:56 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-21-2016, 10:17 AM
  3. 18 Year-Old Graduates from UVa in one year
    By Fortunato in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 06:22 AM
  4. TRANSFER KOREAN 2 YEAR DEGREE TO AN AMERICAN 4 YEAR?
    By jimwe in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2001, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15