+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    desifemlove is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5

    Difference in techniques between BBA and MBA?

    I started an MBA at EBS in UK about a few months ago.

    THing is, the content is more or less exact to my BBA . Of course, the exams will be harder, but then how do I prepare? I don't like past papers, since I don't see the point of them because the examiners/senior course directors can change them anytime they want, and it makes students just memorise what the correct answers are and not critically think about them.

    But then how do I take more or less the same material in BBA and then put it to MBA level?

  2. #2
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    Quote Originally Posted by desifemlove View Post
    But then how do I take more or less the same material in BBA and then put it to MBA level?
    depth of understanding
    American College of Sports Medicine

  3. #3
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,858
    Out of curiosity, where did you do your BBA ? It might help give us a more complete picture.
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  4. #4
    FTFaculty is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    615
    One of my grad degrees is an online MBA from UMass; I currently teach BBA students at an AACSB university. Don't assume exams are necessarily harder at the MBA level, in many cases, BBA studies are more rigorous.

    The main differences are:

    1). The quality of the students. E.g., one of my classmates had an MD and was a senior administrator (vice president) of a network of hospitals in New England . I've taught grad students here who had some sterling undergrad credentials, including Ivy League, but I've never taught anyone close to that guy's level.

    2). The perspective, which is more an overview of different fields from a managerial perspective rather than the study of the nuts and bolts of a given discipline. For example, if you're an accounting major, you're going to do some exceptionally tough stuff in undergrad (I've taken several of those courses), while the accounting you take in an MBA program is 30,000 foot perspective, more learning about accounting rather than learning how to be an accountant .

    All this said, I have no experience with the H-W MBA and it may be quite rigorous and nuts-and-bolts.

  5. #5
    foobar is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by FTFaculty View Post
    One of my grad degrees is an online MBA from UMass; I currently teach BBA students at an AACSB university. Don't assume exams are necessarily harder at the MBA level, in many cases, BBA studies are more rigorous.

    The main differences are:

    1). The quality of the students. E.g., one of my classmates had an MD and was a senior administrator (vice president) of a network of hospitals in New England . I've taught grad students here who had some sterling undergrad credentials, including Ivy League, but I've never taught anyone close to that guy's level.

    2). The perspective, which is more an overview of different fields from a managerial perspective rather than the study of the nuts and bolts of a given discipline. For example, if you're an accounting major, you're going to do some exceptionally tough stuff in undergrad (I've taken several of those courses), while the accounting you take in an MBA program is 30,000 foot perspective, more learning about accounting rather than learning how to be an accountant .

    All this said, I have no experience with the H-W MBA and it may be quite rigorous and nuts-and-bolts.
    I agree with everything FTFaculty says. I would add to his first point though. The MBA is designed for students with about five years of business experience, although many schools don't require experience for admission. There is a lot of cross-fertilization in an MBA program where students bring their experiences from different companies/industries/professions into the class room. In a traditional BBA program most students enter college straight out of high school and are relatively deficient in professional and life experience . Accordingly, classroom discussions and team projects are VERY different in an MBA relative to a BBA .

  6. #6
    FTFaculty is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    615
    And in turn, I agree with everything foobar adds.

  7. #7
    desifemlove is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    Out of curiosity, where did you do your BBA? It might help give us a more complete picture.
    At the university of Sunderland.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    desifemlove is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by FTFaculty View Post
    One of my grad degrees is an online MBA from UMass; I currently teach BBA students at an AACSB university. Don't assume exams are necessarily harder at the MBA level, in many cases, BBA studies are more rigorous.

    The main differences are:

    1). The quality of the students. E.g., one of my classmates had an MD and was a senior administrator (vice president) of a network of hospitals in New England . I've taught grad students here who had some sterling undergrad credentials, including Ivy League, but I've never taught anyone close to that guy's level.

    2). The perspective, which is more an overview of different fields from a managerial perspective rather than the study of the nuts and bolts of a given discipline. For example, if you're an accounting major, you're going to do some exceptionally tough stuff in undergrad (I've taken several of those courses), while the accounting you take in an MBA program is 30,000 foot perspective, more learning about accounting rather than learning how to be an accountant .

    All this said, I have no experience with the H-W MBA and it may be quite rigorous and nuts-and-bolts.
    I'm asking since my current module the topics are very similar, or the course content. even to the point that i can read my undergrad course handbook and it's very close. I'm just a bit lost at to how i shold study for this and step up since it won't be the same obviously.

Similar Threads

  1. TECEP "Behavior Modification Techniques in Counseling"
    By MarkIsrael@aol.com in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
  2. Study Techniques For The Exams
    By AGS in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 08:42 AM
  3. Is There Really A Difference??
    By medgal in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 07:26 PM
  4. B.S. vs. B.A. -- Is There a Difference?
    By me again in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-12-2002, 02:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197