+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 36
  1. #1
    Mashtag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    8

    Help!!! A&M Commerce vs Liberty University

    I was wondering if Liberty University or A&M commerce would be more respected by employer both in the Dallas area and in the Arlington VA/DC area.

    Situation:

    Currently in TX and I have a 4.0 undergrad in business from local state univ. Both LU and TAMUC are lower ranked than the one I went to, so maybe this is a mistake to begin with.
    However,
    I want to do an MBA and my employer has a small amount tuition assistance. I want to stay out of debt, but either way, will have to contribute some amount.

    My wife wants to move to the DC area someday, probably in another 5-6 years.

    I like Liberty because I do share some of the values and would like a private education . On the other hand, I can attend tamuc in class at their dallas campus. I'm sure in the DC area neither would get much respect, so not sure it matters. Liberty is the most I could afford with tuition assistance at this time.

    Perhaps another choice would be best, I'm open to suggestions. So if anyone has any advice on my situation, it would be much appreciated!

  2. #2
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    10,850
    Liberty is well known in the D.C. area, but in this political town that makes it pretty polarizing -- for some employers would be a big plus, for others it would be a big minus.

    Are those really your only choices?
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://stevefoerster.com

  3. #3
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356
    Not even close. If you want to appeal to a very narrow bunch of people, Liberty will cause you to held in incredible regard. But if you want to be respected by the other 99.9% of the country, consider the alternative. Any alternative.

  4. #4
    Mashtag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoerster View Post
    Liberty is well known in the D.C. area, but in this political town that makes it pretty polarizing -- for some employers would be a big plus, for others it would be a big minus.

    Are those really your only choices?
    Any other ideas for something less than $1500 per course? Thanks for the advice. I'll stay away from liberty . I'd conaider any online program as well (not for profit and aacsb or acbsp only)
    Last edited by Mashtag; 11-19-2015 at 09:12 PM.

  5. #5
    Mashtag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Douglas View Post
    Not even close. If you want to appeal to a very narrow bunch of people, Liberty will cause you to held in incredible regard. But if you want to be respected by the other 99.9% of the country, consider the alternative. Any alternative.
    Thanks for the heads up. Liberty is out. Any other schools you know of?

  6. #6
    nyvrem is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    514
    A budget would be nice. There's alot of programs out there.

  7. #7
    Mashtag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by nyvrem View Post
    A budget would be nice. There's alot of programs out there.
    Approx $1500 per course max.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    TEKMAN is offline Semper Fi!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,685
    For that budget would be:

    - University of North Dakota
    - University of South Dakota
    - University of North Texas (Texas Resident)
    - University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    Ph.D| Nova Southeastern University (W/D)
    MPS | Georgetown University (2012)
    MS | Southern Methodist University (2010)
    BS | Troy University (2006)
    Cert | Marine Corps University (2008)

  10. #9
    Mashtag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by TEKMAN View Post
    For that budget would be:

    - University of North Dakota
    - University of South Dakota
    - University of North Texas (Texas Resident)
    - University of Massachusetts-Lowell
    Thanks! I've considered UNT as well. Will these have any name recognition in both Texas and DC?

  11. #10
    TEKMAN is offline Semper Fi!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,685
    Most of Texas universities/colleges do not have recognition in Washington D.C area. The most recognizable school in the National Capitol Region include: Rice University, Baylor University, University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University at College Station, Southern Methodist University, and Texas Christian University. Other schools just a check mark for the application requirement.... If you plan to use your UNT MBA to compete for executive or senior management job is out of question. Because you are up competing with Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Virginia, Harvard, Yale, NYU, Columiba, UPenn, and etc.

    If you want to use your UNIT MBA for regular job, you will be fine. Because nobody cares where is your degree from as long as it is accredited. I had my degree from Troy University when I first landed the job in Washington D.C area after leaving Marine Corps active duty. Nobody questioned about my degree.
    Ph.D| Nova Southeastern University (W/D)
    MPS | Georgetown University (2012)
    MS | Southern Methodist University (2010)
    BS | Troy University (2006)
    Cert | Marine Corps University (2008)

  12. #11
    Mashtag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by TEKMAN View Post
    Most of Texas universities/colleges do not have recognition in Washington D.C area. The most recognizable school in the National Capitol Region include: Rice University, Baylor University, University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University at College Station, Southern Methodist University, and Texas Christian University. Other schools just a check mark for the application requirement.... If you plan to use your UNT MBA to compete for executive or senior management job is out of question. Because you are up competing with Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Virginia, Harvard, Yale, NYU, Columiba, UPenn, and etc.

    If you want to use your UNIT MBA for regular job, you will be fine. Because nobody cares where is your degree from as long as it is accredited. I had my degree from Troy University when I first landed the job in Washington D.C area after leaving Marine Corps active duty. Nobody questioned about my degree.
    Great advice. Thank you. This is what I needed to know. I work in commercial banking/auditing for community banks and intend to work into an audit management role, but certainly don't plan on anything at the executive level. With that said, an MBA is usually above and beyond what is required for the jobs I look at, so I think I will be OK. Thank you for the help.

  13. #12
    Phdtobe is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Douglas View Post
    Not even close. If you want to appeal to a very narrow bunch of people, Liberty will cause you to held in incredible regard. But if you want to be respected by the other 99.9% of the country, consider the alternative. Any alternative.
    As a liberty graduate, I am not sure about your 00.1% bunch thing. However,
    I also think A&M is the better choice because of its broader appeal. A good thing about Liberty is great customer service and excellent students in the online discussions.

  14. #13
    cookderosa is offline Resident Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois--> North Carolina
    Posts
    3,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Phdtobe View Post
    As a liberty graduate, I am not sure about your 00.1% bunch thing. However,
    I also think A&M is the better choice because of its broader appeal. A good thing about Liberty is great customer service and excellent students in the online discussions.
    Not that anyone asked my non-MBA holding opinion, but, I think Liberty is an outstanding choice for an undergraduate degree. I don't think there are any weaknesses concerning conservative Christian position at the undergraduate level- many many many people choose undergraduate degrees that are affiliated with a religious denomination and when your undergraduate degree is your "terminal" degree then maybe, but that's not the case here.
    I think an MBA is different. An MBA is when you say "I have a foundation- but now I'm ready to swim with sharks" and stepping into the best program you can get into is where my money sits. MBAs are different from other master's degrees- graduate level business isn't about being fed information (passive), it's about growing and calculating your strategy for success-networking - infiltrating, dominating....ok, that might be too aggressive. But I think brand is pretty relevant in business, especially if you're young.
    Jennifer
    MS Applied Nutrition, Canisius College
    AA & BA Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
    AOS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America

    The placebo effect should be kicking in any minute.

  15. #14
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    If you’re inclined toward the MBA within the Texas A & M University System (including TAMUC)—there are several additional options that fall within your budget as well as having AACSB or ACBSP accreditation.
    Universities

    You may also want to consider MBA options within the University of Texas System.
    University of Texas System | Nine Universities. Six Health Institutions. Unlimited Possibilities.
    UTOC · MBAO Program Information

    In that you’re considering the TAMUC satellite campus (Dallas) in class option … you may want to take a look-see at the UT Dallas MBA program with its several available /flexible program delivery choices The UT Dallas MBA Program | Naveen Jindal School of Management

    Jindal School of Management B-school rankings:
    Naveen Jindal School of Management Rankings | Naveen Jindal School of Management
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Neuhaus is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    Not that anyone asked my non-MBA holding opinion, but, I think Liberty is an outstanding choice for an undergraduate degree. I don't think there are any weaknesses concerning conservative Christian position at the undergraduate level- many many many people choose undergraduate degrees that are affiliated with a religious denomination and when your undergraduate degree is your "terminal" degree then maybe, but that's not the case here.
    I think an MBA is different. An MBA is when you say "I have a foundation- but now I'm ready to swim with sharks" and stepping into the best program you can get into is where my money sits. MBAs are different from other master's degrees- graduate level business isn't about being fed information (passive), it's about growing and calculating your strategy for success-networking- infiltrating, dominating....ok, that might be too aggressive. But I think brand is pretty relevant in business, especially if you're young.
    Some fabulous points here. Let me just add, another consideration is whether the school is known for religion or for the specific program. This is important. An atheist may very well choose an MBA program at Fordham, Loyola or Georgetown because those are very good business programs that happen to be offered by a religiously affiliated school.

    Fordham offers many religious programs but they are well known for their top notch business program and their MBA is pretty well received in the NYC area (and throughout NYS). The same can be said about Drexel , Villanova and Philadelphia.

    It would be odd for that same atheist to choose a program at Liberty . You can be an atheist at the University of Scranton (Jesuit) and, besides having to take two religion courses, move throughout your problem without drawing any attention to yourself. If you were a proud atheist at Liberty you might do fine but I suspect you would draw a bit more attention than you would at the other schools I've mentioned here.

    For better or worse, Liberty is known as a sanctuary of conservative Christians in the world of higher education . That's fine. But is their MBA particularly well regarded? I believe school reputation falls into this sort of rough hierarchy:

    1. Program or school is known for being amazing
    2. School is known because of sports (may be a good school or may be an average school but the sports thing keeps them well known)
    3. School is unknown
    4. School is known because the program is subpar
    5. The school itself is thought of very poorly overall

    At the one end of the spectrum you have things like Harvard Business and the exact opposite end you have places like the university of Phoenix . In the middle you have a weird mix where opinions vary. I do not like Liberty University . I would never discriminate against a candidate with a degree from Liberty , though. But I can also imagine a situation where that might not be the case. I can't imagine it simply "wouldn't come up" that you had a degree from Falwell's white paradise if you were applying for a job as, say, a diversity officer at a non-sectarian school up north or if you wanted a job on the business side of an organization that dealt with, say, gay rights.

    For the typical employer you're likely to score points with a conservative Christian whose values are aligned to Liberty . If your potential boss isn't that (and has opinions about conservative religion in our society today) you might not develop that rapport with the interviewer. For the bulk of employers, however, the degree from Liberty is likely "fine."

    A professional HR person or hiring manager would set aside those personal biases when interviewing someone with a degree from a place where the values clash with their own. Not everyone is professional, unfortunately. But I can't see a Liberty grad being wildly discriminated against in the broader (outside of their geographic sphere of influence) job market.
    M.B.A. University of Scranton (Anticipated 2019)
    M.S.M. (Project Management) University of Management and Technology
    B.S.O.L. Thomas Edison State University
    B.S.B.A. Colorado Technical University
    A.A. University of Scranton
    Certificate in Human Resources Management - Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations
    Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS)
    Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)

  18. #16
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by cookderosa View Post
    ....many many many people choose undergraduate degrees that are affiliated with a religious denomination (snipped)
    While true, I think it's different here. Liberty isn't just "affiliated" with a religion. It stands--along with Regent , Bob Jones, and Oral Roberts Universities--as symbols of their founders. Holding degrees from these schools sends a message. If that's the message one wants to send, fine. But if not?

    Compare it to, say, St Francis U. Putting a degree from there on your resume doesn't scream "FRANCISCAN!" even though it's right in the title of the school. But a degree from Liberty yells "evangelical" or "born again Christian" big time. Again, if that's one's message, fine.

Similar Threads

  1. Texas A&M University Commerce - Online MBA
    By remharri in forum Business and MBA degrees
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 08:54 AM
  2. MS in Technology Management at Texas A&M University-Commerce
    By rabbuhl in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:19 AM
  3. Liberty University - Liberty Bible Institute
    By wantolearn in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 08:27 PM
  4. Texas A&M University--Commerce--DL MBA
    By kobeb in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 06:19 PM
  5. University of London, Southern Christian University, Liberty University
    By JHatz in forum General Distance Learning Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15