+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Usq

  1. #1
    leahm902 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10

    Question Usq

    Does anyone here know if the University of Southern Queensland (USQ) is accredited in Canada? I've seen that Algonquin College has an articulation agreements with them and have seen several Canadians with degrees from this institution.

    I'm having a difficult time finding the program I want to study Bachelor of Communication - Public Relations through distance education at a reasonable price. I was told to check if they were on the CanLearn list but can't find them (link below)

    List of Designated Educational Institutions - CanLearn.ca

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    USQ is a good school and there should be no problems with its acceptance in Canada. Having said that, it's probably not the cheapest place to choose. What do you consider to be "reasonable" regarding cost?

  3. #3
    leahm902 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10
    USQ would charge around $2262 (AUD) per course I'd generally prefer something half that mount or less if possible. However, I've had a difficult time finding universities that offer my program online...Only Massey U and USQ.

    Is there anywhere else I should to see if it is accredited?

  4. #4
    leahm902 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10
    I'm worried if it's not on the website I posted above I may not be eligible for funding... not sure why Algonquin college has an agreement with them...any information is helpful.

  5. #5
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150

  6. #6
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,333
    Quote Originally Posted by leahm902 View Post
    not sure why Algonquin college has an agreement with them...any information is helpful.
    Like pretty well all Ontario Community Colleges, Algonquin offers pathways to degree completion , once you have earned a 2 or 3-year diploma from there. Some are agreements with Canadian Universities, some with US or overseas. All good schools you can trust.

    You can see Algonquin's complete list in detail here. Degree Pathways/Articulation Agreements » Full List

    J.
    Last edited by Johann; 09-24-2015 at 02:59 PM.

  7. #7
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    nice grab major.

  10. #9
    major56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,656
    Maybe the OP will find the link of some use...
    Major56
    _________________________
    M.B.A., West Texas A & M University
    M.Ed., Prairie View A & M University
    B.B.A., Sam Houston State University
    CAS, CGSS, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
    _________________________

  11. #10
    leahm902 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10
    Thanks, I also found this one Best Online Bachelor’s in Communication and Public Relations: Students Before Profits Award 2015-2016

    I found the majority of these universities are Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) with a major in public relations . I'm specifically looking for Bachelor of Communication (BCMM) with a major in Public Relations or Bachelor of Public Relations (BPR) I'll have to do some more looking they seem to be mostly in Australia and New Zealand. We have 3 in Canada but they are all on campus.

  12. #11
    leahm902 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    USQ is a good school and there should be no problems with its acceptance in Canada. Having said that, it's probably not the cheapest place to choose. What do you consider to be "reasonable" regarding cost?
    Kizmet, Where do you check the accreditation for USQ in Canada? I was only told to check the list that student loans provided and I also contacted the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials and was told they only evaluate my education after it's completed.

  13. #12
    leahm902 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Like pretty well all Ontario Community Colleges, Algonquin offers pathways to degree completion , once you have earned a 2 or 3-year diploma from there. Some are agreements with Canadian Universities, some with US or overseas. All good schools you can trust.

    You can see Algonquin's complete list in detail here. Degree Pathways/Articulation Agreements » Full List

    J.
    Thanks!

    I did notice they have an articulation agreement but the only thing that worries me is it's not on the international list I provided above and want to be sure beforehand.

  14. #13
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    13,306
    Quote Originally Posted by leahm902 View Post
    Kizmet, Where do you check the accreditation for USQ in Canada? I was only told to check the list that student loans provided and I also contacted the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials and was told they only evaluate my education after it's completed.
    And why would the University of South Queensland, an Australian university, be accredited in Canada?
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

  15. #14
    Kizmet is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    between the devil and the deep blue sea
    Posts
    15,150
    Quote Originally Posted by leahm902 View Post
    Kizmet, Where do you check the accreditation for USQ in Canada?
    There are a couple of things you're getting wrong. The first is about accreditation in general. Schools are accredited in/by the countries where they exist, either as a physical campus or as a corporate entity. Every country has it's own system and standards but, in general, they are all rather similar. Because of this countries have a very strong tendency to accept the degrees that are properly accredited by other countries. But, countries do not "accredit" the schools from other countries. The second thing is this list that you've married. I haven't counted the number of schools on your special list but I know that there are well over 20,000 universities in the world, over 2,000 4-year schools in the US alone. The vast majority of these do not appear on the list but I'll bet that they would be accepted in Canada. Forget the list. USQ is accedited in Australia and so it will be accepted in Canada as well as virtually every other country in the world.
    Last edited by Kizmet; 09-26-2015 at 05:24 PM.

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet
    USQ is accredited in Australia and so it will be accepted in Canada as well as virtually every other country in the world.
    Yep. What Kizmet said.

    J.

  18. #16
    leahm902 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    There are a couple of things you're getting wrong. The first is about accreditation in general. Schools are accredited in/by the countries where they exist, either as a physical campus or as a corporate entity. Every country has it's own system and standards but, in general, they are all rather similar. Because of this countries have a very strong tendency to accept the degrees that are properly accredited by other countries. But, countries do not "accredit" the schools from other countries. The second thing is this list that you've married. I haven't counted the number of schools on your special list but I know that there are well over 20,000 universities in the world, over 2,000 4-year schools in the US alone. The vast majority of these do not appear on the list but I'll bet that they would be accepted in Canada. Forget the list. USQ is accedited in Australia and so it will be accepted in Canada as well as virtually every other country in the world.
    Sorry about the confusion, I am new to this. I fully understand now and your input has been very helpful as I was told otherwise by the student loan officer. I did see something along these lines on the CICIC website earlier today. Thank you again!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197