+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18
  1. #1
    ebbwvale is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    576

    Eisner Institute of Professional Studies

    Has anybody got any information on the background of this college?

    http://www.eisnerinstitute.org/about.html

    Obviously, it is a recent addition to distance learning and is unaccredited. My question is more directed to the background of the founders of the institution. All colleges have to start somewhere and will not be accredited either by RA or DETC for some time at least, but the difference may be the integrity of the individuals involved at the outset.

    Whatever the intentions of the individuals, I guess the competence to setup and run an institution is also another important issue.

    My preliminary search on the individuals from afar have failed to reveal any information that suggests that they have been involved in diploma mills or unsavory activity. Is this a legitimate beginnings of an attempt to create an institution?

    I will be interested to hear the comments of others on the topic.

  2. #2
    CalDog is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,252
    I know nothing about the institution or the fields of study, but they openly and explicitly disclose the limitations of their degrees, which I would perceive as a good sign.
    The masters and doctoral program are not designated to lead to licensure.
    Unaccredited schools often fail to make such disclosures. For example, Kennedy-Western engineering degrees or Rushmore accounting degrees are basically worthless for professional licensure, but these schools won't disclose the fact up front.

  3. #3
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    7,110
    I checked the CHEA database, and the results are:

    Search Results: 0 institutions found for 'Eisner'

    Bzzzzzt! Thanks for playing!

    -=Steve=-
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://hiresteve.com

  4. #4
    CalDog is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,252
    EIPS may or may not be legitimate, but its absence from the CHEA database, at this point, is not relevant. The school apparently only opened in September 2006. Since legitimate accreditation is only granted after a few years of operation, no new school -- regardless of quality -- will ever appear in the CHEA database immediately.

    You won't find the University of California at Merced, or the Olin College of Engineering , in the CHEA database either. Yet no one doubts that both of these new schools are legit.

  5. #5
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    7,110
    Originally posted by CalDog
    EIPS may or may not be legitimate, but its absence from the CHEA database, at this point, is not relevant. The school apparently only opened in September 2006. Since legitimate accreditation is only granted after a few years of operation, no new school -- regardless of quality -- will ever appear in the CHEA database immediately.

    Yeah, I guess I was pretty trigger happy. :) And I suppose that wasn't the point of the thread anyway. Sorry!

    You won't find the University of California at Merced, or the Olin College of Engineering, in the CHEA database either. Yet no one doubts that both of these new schools are legit.

    Those mills?

    Okay, just kidding. Although you have to admit, such exceptions to the rule are rare enough to be famous.

    -=Steve=-
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://hiresteve.com

  6. #6
    ShotoJuku is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    533
    Does anyone else have any opinions about EIPS?
    ShotoJuku +
    A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA, Ed.D Underway

  7. #7
    John Bear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Northern California.
    Posts
    5,584
    While the website appears honest and straightforward, and the claimed faculty have decent credentials, I note that the "campus" has the same address (16133 Ventura Boulevard Suite 700, Encino CA) as the law offices of Louis Samuel, the law offices of Leah Granoff, the law offices of Ila Tanchuk, the law offices of Barry Kaufmann. the Laya Gelff Literary Talent Agency, J. K. Harris and Company (Nation's Largest Tax Resolution Firm) . . . and I got tired of searching after those.

    That kind of thing waves red flags in my experience. Of course they could be subletting space from a law firm or other business, or some other reasonable or semireasonable explanation.

  8. Advertisement

  9. #8
    BillDayson is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bear View Post
    While the website appears honest and straightforward, and the claimed faculty have decent credentials, I note that the "campus" has the same address (16133 Ventura Boulevard Suite 700, Encino CA) as the law offices of Louis Samuel, the law offices of Leah Granoff, the law offices of Ila Tanchuk, the law offices of Barry Kaufmann. the Laya Gelff Literary Talent Agency, J. K. Harris and Company (Nation's Largest Tax Resolution Firm) . . . and I got tired of searching after those.

    That kind of thing waves red flags in my experience. Of course they could be subletting space from a law firm or other business, or some other reasonable or semireasonable explanation.
    It seems that the seventh floor of the City National Bank Building in Encino is occupied by a serviced-office firm that caters to the legal trade:

    http://www.barrister-suites.com/16133ventura.php

  10. #9
    John Bear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Northern California.
    Posts
    5,584
    From the site Bill found, it appears that the executive services firm does have a few dozen cubicles for rent. The floor plan suggests that each one is 3 or 4 times the size of the elevator. Is this where the California state approval team visited? Where the DETC team (if they go this route) would come?

  11. #10
    Rich Douglas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    9,776
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bear View Post
    Is this where the California state approval team visited? Where the DETC team (if they go this route) would come?
    There's a Starbucks up the street at 16461 Ventura Blvd. Try to get two tables together....

  12. #11
    BillDayson is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bear View Post
    From the site Bill found, it appears that the executive services firm does have a few dozen cubicles for rent. The floor plan suggests that each one is 3 or 4 times the size of the elevator. Is this where the California state approval team visited? Where the DETC team (if they go this route) would come?
    My hardcopy of the Nov. 16, 2006 BPPVE Directory of Approved Institutions has them at that address. Apparently all of Eisner's programs were approved on the same day, Feb. 22, 2006.

    A Google search generated 77 hits for this thing. Many of them were marketing (prweb, emediawire and so on).

    So it's obscure, whatever it is.

    I'm curious what utility an Eisner MA or Psy.D. might have. They aren't license-qualifying in California. I'm not really sure what forensic psychologists do exactly. But whatever they do, it would have to avoid the restrictions that the California Business and Professions Code places on use of the word 'psychologist ' by unlicensed individuals and by individuals with unaccredited degrees.

  13. #12
    sentinel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,747
    I'm curious what utility an Eisner MA or Psy.D. might have.

    It is my understanding from the learned senior members of this forum, based upon their postings on the subject, that ALL institutions must address this issue on the road to accreditation. I recall the debates surrounding American Public University System (American Military University and American Public University) when that institution was only NA by DETC.

    From personal experience, the quality of education delivered by APUS even while only NA was higher than an RA institution from which I was taking courses.

    As for whether degrees earned by students of Eisner Institute of Professional Studies only time will tell. As has been the case for every other institution.
    BA - Thomas Edison State College
    Computer Forensics & Digital Investigation Certificate - Champlain College
    Computer Programming & Systems Analysis Diploma - Toronto School of Business

  14. #13
    SteveFoerster is offline Resident Gadfly
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies
    Posts
    7,110
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    It is my understanding from the learned senior members of this forum, based upon their postings on the subject, that ALL institutions must address this issue on the road to accreditation.
    Indeed, since all institutions start out unaccredited, but not all new institutions are problematic.

    -=Steve=-
    BS, Info Sys concentration, Charter Oak State College
    MA in Educational Tech, George Washington University
    PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
    More at http://hiresteve.com

  15. #14
    Britishtx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1

    Post Eisner Institute of Professional Studies

    The last post to this thread was back in 2007.
    Is there any more news on the validity of Eisner Institute of Professional Studies?

  16. Advertisement

  17. #15
    Ted Heiks is offline Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishtx View Post
    The last post to this thread was back in 2007.
    Is there any more news on the validity of Eisner Institute of Professional Studies?
    They're still unaccredited.
    Theo the Educated Derelict
    BA, History/Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
    MBA, Entrepreneurship, City University of Seattle, 1992
    MBA, Marketing, City University of Seattle, 1993

    Politics is made from two words: "poly" meaning "many" and "ticks" meaning "blood-sucking insects."

  18. #16
    Johann is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Heiks View Post
    They're still unaccredited.
    That's for sure, Ted. And the disclaimer about the doctorates not leading to professional licensing is still there. The school still claims its former BPPVE (sunset) approval. No mention of the new BPPE, at least that I could find. I'll maybe check the BPPE site later.

    Moreover, the school claims that two of its Masters programs are sufficient for California licensing - an MA (Psych) in Marriage and Family Therapy, which they say meets California's requirements to sit for MFT licensure and an MA in Professional Clinical Counselling, claimed to meet the educational requirements for LPCC licensure.

    The site has the look of one that has not been updated in a long time. I'm moving along -- not very much for me to see there.

    Johann
    Last edited by Johann; 02-06-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15